Verbalize It

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Gelsemium • Mar 3, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Has any one heard of Verbalize It? It's an online company where we can make translations and get paid for it. I signed up today and I will do my tests later, I was wondering if anyone is using it?

2. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds interesting, how are you finding it?
    Depending on the payment rates, it can be very profitable, especially if it's easily accessible online and I can make some progress whenever/wherever I have a little time available.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    To be honest I haven't complete the first test yet, it's s transcription test that takes over one hour, I think it's a bit too much. I also wonder if they have enough job there to justify this investment of my time, I am not very thrilled up to now.

4. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I can't find any proper reviews of the site online, detailing whether they actually pay and how much they do.
    We have to be wary of these sites that promise easy money, very often they are scams.
    Let me know if you try it out or if you find some positive reviews.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Here on the

you have plenty of information on the prices you'll be paid and other info, but an external review is hard to find, true. Maybe it's a new company and it's not well known yet?

6. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this site, but it sounds interesting. The one hour transcription test sounds a bit excessive though.My question though is. Couldn't you just use Google translate?

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Well, you could, but they would probably notice it. You will be rated for your work and a low rating would mean lesser payment or probably that you can't access some works. Also, google translate for transcription is not possible! :p

8. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, transcription is listening to something and writing it down, so you couldn't use Google Translate for that :)

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I was checking the site more closely and they explicitely say that it's against the rules to use online translators for their translations. Those translators are a useful tool, but come one, they are not as accurate as a real person, not even close.

10. pika318

pika318New Member

Threads:
    I don't normally necropost, but I do realise that reviews for verbalizeit are sorely lacking, so I thought I can put in some feedback.

I have been on verbalizeit as a transcriber for Mandarin videos for a while. I'm not sure for other languages, but the amount of work received by verbalizeit is not steady for Mandarin videos and is definitely not something that can support me if I was a full time freelancer. There are periods where I can go for months without hearing from verbalizeit about any new tasks (they email you if there are large numbers of new tasks in your language pair), and suddenly there will be a lot at one go. I actually have a full time job and only do this when I have free time and there are tasks to be done. It's only something like a little extra cash for me.

As for payment, for new members, you get paid USD$0.8/min for transcribing and you only get paid if you accumulate USD$15 in total. The payment period is every 15 days. For me, that would be about 2-4 videos which needs to be completed. If there are urgent jobs, they will give bonuses so people are motivated to do it. This site isn't a scam, they do pay you on time and everything.

Yep, those are the main points. It is a good site if you want to get started on freelancing, but I wouldn't recommend it as a sole site for people who are freelancing because the jobs aren't as steady.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Thanks for the post pika, that was the impression I had for the site as well, not much work and not that greatly well paid. Not only that, it took me forever to make their "tests" that qualified me to work on the site, it took me so long that I gave up, I mean, I don't want to spend a whole day trying to qualify for a site that has no work.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the transcription test takes over 1 hour then that is just too much time and effort for a test that you're not sure if you will pass. Even if it's legit, I will only try this site when I have lots of free time.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if I have heard of Verbalize It specifically, but I have heard of a number of transcription websites. And of all of the websites that I have checked out, I have decided that the transcription business is not for me. Despite the fact that my english and grammar are good, it takes far too long to transcribe videos, and for the amount of money that these companies like to pay, it is nowhere near worth it.

14. Wordsmith

WordsmithNew Member

Threads:
    I can say as someone who worked for VerbalizeIt in a "high ranking" position that it is a very exploitative company. Read the reviews on Glassdoor if you need further convincing.

I worked there as what they call a Community Lead, aka community manager who oversees the work of translators, cleans up the translations, stays on top of the forum to keep translators excited, takes the heat for there being no work available though its what the owners Kunal and Damla kept promising though would suddenly be unresponsive if you had to specifically address it with him.

The owners constantly brushed you off and say "dont worry, more work is coming", only for you to wait all day for at least a few calls, spend time interpreting and get a handful of change for it. All the while there's a handful of documents rolling into a queue to be translated, yet you have about 20 hungry translators and as soon as 3 jump on the few in queue the rest stay hoping there will be another call. You have to make a certain amount before they pay you, and its pretty hard to get unless you work way hardwr than what its worth at that company. I cant remember the amount but I can look it up and report back. I think I made about $15 in two months.

#14Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Gelsemium@Gelsemium... I'm sorry to hear that it didn't turn out so good for you! It sounded really good. The name sounds very vaguely familiar. But I'll definitely never have worked there because I only really speak English and my native language, which sadly doesn't seem to be all that popular in these sorts of situations :(

16. roydominic33

roydominic33New Member

Threads:
    It would very much help if you knew other languages. Unfortunately, the only other language that I know outside of English is Filipino, which isn't very popular.