Vice?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by LilAnn • Aug 7, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    With exceptions of Ghandi and Mother Teresa, I think everyone has a vice. Something we don't need, but we can't help but to spend money on it. It may not be a lot of money, but its always in the back of our mind.

Me? I'm buy shoes. Running shoes. I can't pass up a Payless when I have a little bit of cash on me. And it's always 2 pair... BOGO. I have a pair of Champion or Airwalk running shoes for every day of the week, plus some. I don't own a single pair of sandals. No boots. No high Heels or platforms. I consider that to be my vice.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree we all have a vice, it does not have to be bad just something we do not want to do without if we don't have to. Mine will always be books and plants, I will purchase a plant or a book before I think about eating, if I am out and have to choose between getting a plant or a book and eating, I will get the book or plant.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I guess my vice would be clothes. I am especially prone to buying new clothes when there are sales. So my solution is to just avoid malls during sales season as it is very tempting to buy and buy and buy when everything is discounted.

I guess another vice of mine is buying toys not for me but for my son. We try to refrain from exposing him to gadgets so we really have to buy a new toy every week or so. He gets tired of his toys so it is a must to buy a new one or else he will get very cranky.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    For the past couple of years or so, mine was makeup. I’d gotten rid of most of my urges to impulse-buy, but that was a big one. Hence my informally going on a replacement-buy-only. I have to admit I fell off the wagon there; upon getting a new job, I celebrated by purchasing a MAC lipstick, which I do love but it’s not exactly office-friendly! But meh, I’m not gonna beat myself up over it because I’ve been quite good about not buying makeup for most of the year. I definitely won’t need any more… at least, not until I get some holiday gift cards…

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine is definitely coffee. I'm a simple person, I don't put importance in products and things etc, so we save a lot of money because of that alone lol.. but I can't live without my coffee. I tried, it wasn't pretty ;)

6. Briannagodess

Threads:
    I remember a phase where I got addicted to makeup too. I got hooked into reading blogs and what they have, I need to have lol! I happily got rid of that phase and just have the necessities now. It was quite sad to let go of most of my makeup but they are expired already and I do not really use them. I just bought them because of those blogs lol.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My vice would have to be shopping for clothes, accessories and cosmetics. I can't lie, I just love shopping because I love clothes and love to look good at all times. I also can never pass up an opportunity to stock up on beauty products. If I were rich, I'd always be shopping for new clothes, shoes and beauty products. I never tire of or get bored with shopping.

8. LeopardJones

Threads:
    Blogs were what did it for me too. I became convinced I had to try ALL the new stuff and ALL the colors in certain collections. I had a lot of fun experimenting, don’t get me wrong, but I have fewer opportunities to wear the showier stuff now so I’m thinking there may have to be a huge purge soon. Either that, or I’ll have to create some opportunities, because I do still genuinely love a lot of the stuff I have kept. Haha. In any case, I stopped reading the blogs so often and that’s really contributed to my having less of a need to try things just to say I did. I know what I like now and I generally stick to that.

9. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I go through phases like that. Right now I'm trying to perfect the french manicure freehand. So when leave the house, it isn't uncommon for me to buy some more Broadway 'snow white', top coat, and nail polish remover. But I'll get bored of this soon, and then I'll focus on something new.

10. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Mine would be food, particularly junk foods like chips and candies. I also consume a lot of coffee (very much than normal) :eek: I used to smoke (a lot) so being hooked to junk food and coffee doesn't bother me much anymore (just a little). :)

11. Briannagodess

Threads:
    Lol those blogs have ruined a lot of lives! It also does not help that they got their stuff for free (well sometimes). And we have to buy ours all the time. It is true though it is fun experimenting. Though the chicken in me only wears eyeshadows at the house.

I guess you could sell them or just donate to charity. But as long as they are not expired you can still keep them. I kept what can be kept in my collection and play with them sometimes.

12. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I have to limit the blogs and such. I can become interested in almost anything. It just takes one person who is interested in it, and really sells it. I love working with my hands, especially when I know its going to serve a purpose when I'm done.

13. LeopardJones

Threads:
    Hahaha, so true. I think if I’d gotten most of my stuff for free I would be okay with having a lot of it! Well, maybe not. I’m not someone who likes to have a lot of stuff just for the sake of having it, so I’d probably still wonder how much of it I actually needed. Thankfully I got rid of my expired stuff already, and the colors that didn’t suit me (I really like coral tones, but on my face? Sadly they were mostly a no-go, plus they don’t coordinate with the majority of my wardrobe). I thought about selling some of the stuff I still have, but it weirds me out a bit, so maybe I’ll make an art project out of it instead.

I’m kind of like that too. I’ll see people who do origami and I’m like “Hey, I used to do that when I was younger and I was pretty good at it, must do again!” Or I’ll become interested in painting when I can barely draw, hahaha. It can be dangerous, but hey, at least I can say I’ve done things.

14. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    When there's something I really want to do, if I have to buy the stuff or not, I'm devoting every ounce of energy to it. This is an ongoing thing with me, though. I started reading Tarot cards when I was 18. At one point I had 26 different decks. Now I'm back to one--- my original. Then it was palm reading, natal birth charts, knitting, crocheting, writing my blog, various games here and there, (computers and DS), and the list goes on and on. Right now I'm taking a course over the internet. So its all about office supplies. The shoes are the only consistent vice thats lasted over a few months. The shoes actually started about a decade ago.

15. Briannagodess

Threads:
    Lol well for me I would surely take then if they are free! Anyway, what kind of art are you thinking of? The only thing I can think of is to use pencil liners as craft pencils. I think even expired pencil liners can be used for such purposes.

16. LeopardJones

Threads:
    Yep, that was one thing I was considering. A friend of mine tried using kohl pencil eyeliners to create a sketch and it turned out really awesome, especially with metallic liners. Certain lipsticks might also work with certain papers, though I’m guessing they’d have to be more matte. I had a MAC swatch card from last year that made me think “Hey, maybe I could do some arts and crafts with the old lipsticks I never wear.” Which didn’t happen then, but I’ve still got a couple of colors I’m unsure of, maybe I could do something with those.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My vice is buying anything that I can afford. I love buying phones, bags, pouches, and even clothes just because I like them. I also love to bid on auctions. I get entertained doing it and I feel good when I win something more than half the price less than it's original price.