Video Camera Over Phone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by hayrake • Mar 19, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Is there any benefit to using a video camera over the camera on your phone? I'm considering the purchase, but I'm uncertain about it.

I do have a digital camera besides the one on my phone with which I can take short videos, but the problem with it is the same as with using the phone. Taking videos sucks the charge out of the batteries faster than I can drink a milkshake on a hot day.

Are the cameras that are specifically video cameras any better in that respect?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    For any device that can be operated by at least AAA, AA, C, and D batteries I invest in rechargeable batteries and a charger. They last longer than the average battery. Depending on how much video taping that you plan to be doing carrying extra rechargeable batteries is a good move to make.

It's really a matter of personal preference whether to use the phone camera or a video camera. Technology is so that there is a video camera for just about every preference.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it really depends on what purpose you're taking photos or videos for. Most high-end phones today can take photos and videos at a good enough resolution for web use, negating the need for a video camera. If you intend to take a large quantity of high quality photos or video though, a camera would still be your go-to option.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I depends what you are using it for. I do use the phone one as it is convenient, but charging is always an issue and how much power and storage it uses. I've found a good camera phone not too different from a camera, but these days you can buy more expensive one and use a higher MP, but that would use up more memory.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, I was content with my 8 megapixel camera for taking photos, but when that smartphone of mine broke I had to go back to using my old phone that only has a 2 megapixel camera, so if you have a low megapixel gadget then it is a must that you have a digicam or video cam. I remember taking pics of items up close and the item's photo looked very clear when I was using an 8 megapixel cam, but when I used the 2 megapixel one I noticed that the more you move the lens closer to the object, the more blurred it becomes. It definitely can't take clear shots up close, but decent enough for taking selfies, so don't use it when you intend to sell your items online and you want close up pics of the item.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    That is probably the best suggestion I'm going to get. And I have used the rechargeable batteries in the past. My battery charger died, though, and I have never yet replaced it.

I just thought that it might be that an actual video camera might hold a charge longer, being that it was made specifically for the purpose of making videos. I don't suppose that's the case, though.

And I'm not sure I'd want to have to carry a second device with me, either.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    There are some pretty good responses here to consider regarding phone cameras.

You can also use the camera on a tablet but I myself think it is too awkward to hold and focus at the same time.

My video camera holds a pretty decent charge and it's an old one from Sony. I think that video cameras today are made to hold a longer charge. If you have the owner's manual you can compare the length of the charge to the newer models should you decide to invest in one.

I think using rechargeable batteries and having extra is the way to go.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Video cameras and digital cameras will use far less power than smartphones because they're not running a sophisticated UI. However, you're still going to see the battery drop at a noticeable pace when you're taking a lot of photos or capturing video for extended periods of time.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, video cameras will always be better than phones that operate on a tiny chip with almost no optics, obviously. The quality will be miles better, and the battery will probably end up lasting longer too. As someone here said, chargers and rechargeable batteries are cheap these days, so there won't really be any loss on that front..

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the purpose of the photo or video. The new phnes have very good cameras which often are as good as a stand a lone camera. It does seem like a it good no matter which way you decide to go also the quality of your phono camera.