Video Game Expansion Packs

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Zyni • Oct 2, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you rush out (or go online) to buy an expansion pack the moment it goes on sale or make sure you buy a digital copy before release? Some people wait, and they get a better price. For my favorite game, I've always been excited to play the new content, so I bought expansions right away. There is a new one coming out soon, but I'm not as excited about this one. The discounts for buying later tend to significant, so I might just wait this time.

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually rush not unless it's my favorite game. I tend to wait out for the prices to go down. I usually get mine on Steam and for the most part when the DLC is pretty much old they'd offer really cheap prices for the actual game including all the DLC's and expansions.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now I am playing The Sims 4. I didn't pay for it. I downloaded it lol. But I may just buy the expansion pack when it comes out. I am not sure if there is one out yet or not though. There could be. But if I continue to enjoy the game enough to where I want more from it, then I will definitely shell out for the expansion pack if I have the money.

4. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a fan of expansion packs especially those item based packs only with costumes and new weapons. But if it's an additional mission or story then I might get it but I don't rush because for the most part they're really not that big of a deal not unless it's a patch to fix the game. I tend to wait for it to lower with the price tag and then I hit it.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would probably do the same for typical DLC. World of Warcraft, for example, puts out an expansion pack every couple years. It is a new story line, new maps, sometimes new classes or races, new raids and dungeons, and they usually increase the max level. They cost $40-50, but within a few months, they usually drop in price. If you wait, you'll be behind everyone else, so if you're competitive, it's an incentive to rush to get a copy. If you're not competitive, waiting can help you save money.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to see if a "Game of the Year" edition of the game will ever come out. Normally when a game gets a "Game of the Year" edition, it comes with all the expansion packs and most, if not all, of the DLC. I just think it's easier that way. If I cant I'll get what expansions and DLC I can, but I'm normally a bit reluctant.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    I am more of a storyline gamer. I don't like when it is just new gadgets that are added. For the Sims, i guess it will be new clothes and items that your sims/sim can purchase once enough money has been built up. That isn't enough for me. If getting expansion packs will unlock new sim interactions on the other hand then I would perhaps consider it. I think you can research online what kinds of additions expansion packs provide.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think most of the games I play don't have expansion packs to them. I want more Sims 3 expansions but am afraid my computer will blow up if I install them haha.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I liked the extra stories in GTA4. The "Episodes of Liberty City" is what they called it. The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony were good expansions on GTA4. It added extra missions and two new protagonists, Luis and Johnny.

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'm such a slow gamer that by the time I get to that game or the need for the DLC, it is on sale. I have such a huge backlog it's ridiculous. I really don't need to buy another game until I get through them and since I like to complete games, the Xbox One would be the Two, if I really held myself to that.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    I hadn't actually thought about those games as being expansion packs. But I suppose that they were/are when you give it some thought ;) I loved The Ballad of Gay Tony. I really liked how different the mob leader was, in the fact that he was gay. You would expect a game such as GTA to stereotype gay men. But they went the other way with it. Love the game's humorous side.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They actually are expansion packs, and if I remember correctly, they were originally DLC. They eventually got released on disc, and there's even a "complete version" where you get the core game, ad the two extra stories, altogether. For those who never got the original GTA4 in the first place, this is a pretty good deal.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also had Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, which is technically an expansion pack for Red Dead Redemption. It didn't have the zombie storyline before, and it wasn't a concrete sequel. I'm not even sure if it was canon to the main storyline, but it was a cool extra story.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Back in the original Xbox era, I loved playing Dead or Alive 3. I also used to get original Xbox demos from Xbox magazine. I say this because one of those Xbox demo discs was also a boot disc for Dead or Alive 3. This was good to have because the boot disc would give new costumes that you couldn't unlock under normal circumstances. That counts as an expansion technically.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Telltale's The Walking Dead had a 400 Days DLC, which was a short extra stories expansion. You saw 5 survivors' first experiences with the apocalypse and dealing with walkers. Depending on what you'd choose, these 5 would either go or abstain from going to a bigger survivor camp. The important thing about this DLC is that you see some of these people in season 2 of the main story.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, how could I forget. The Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors series has its expansions as well. Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors: Xtreme Legends has more characters, with their own stories, more weapons, and more levels. A true fan would get the Xtreme Legends along with the core games.