Video game prices...

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by rollybooz • Jul 6, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I almost never buy a new game at starting price. I always wait a year or so. Usually I get all used games from Gamestop. There are exceptions, if it's my birthday or Christmas I'll treat myself to one new game if I really want it.

2. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Same, I never bought MW3 when it came out for the xbox360. I'm going to buy it soon because the price has dropped significantly. It's probably only christmas time or birthday I'll splash out for a game that's just come out or wait just after christmas for when the sales are on.

3. jaruri

jaruriNew Member

Threads:
    I usually wait before I buy a game, unless its something I have been greatly anticipating for years. (Guild Wars 2, and Diablo 3). If a friend buys it early, I might borrow it for a while or check it out sometime and decide if I want to invest in it or not. 60 dollars for games can really add up quickly. Even if you get one game a month, that adds up to 720 dollars, which is a huge chunk of money.

I'm mostly a PC gamer, so Steam is where I get alot of my games now. They're amazing because they have frequent sales that discount games to ridiculous prices. Skyrim even went on 50% off for a while on Steam. They also have game packs, one of which I saw discounted by 93% during a huge summer sale.

4. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy video games at full prices, paying $60 for a video game is insane in my opinion. I rent games through gamefly or buy it when the price comes down to more agreeable level. Nowadays there is too much hype during every new game launch so it is best to wait for few days and see whether the game lives up to promise.

5. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    They are definitely worth the price they are going for but i am willing to pay for them I am a video game addict somewhat so i will pay a lot to get a game.

6. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I used to spend as much as $80 per video game because of that little "Collector's Edition" sign. It's just a waste of money when you think about it. You can wait a few months for someone to turn in their game and the price for the game will be up to 3 times cheaper! PC games are cheap because they know that if people think the price is too high, they'll just pirate them. ;)

7. husstopher

husstopherMember

Threads:
    I usually pay full price on games if I pre-order it. Usually games like Halo, Gears of War, Elder Scrolls, etc...

8. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    If it's a really good game like Assassin's Creed III or Battlefield (something of that nature) I will pay the $60 on launch day. If it's a less known game that I may want to try, I will wait for the price drop. I personally think $60 is way too much. You can beat most COD campaigns in about five hours. That isn't worth $60 to me.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy games when the prices drop - I have more than enough games that I didn't finish already, so there is no hurry.. :) The only game that I've bought for full price was SFxT.. and I got burned pretty bad on that.

10. Cyclone3616

Cyclone3616Member

Threads:
    I don't usually get games right away, even if there's a ton of hype. Sometimes I even wait a couple years before I buy it because once a new game comes out in the series, (if there is one) the price drops like a stone. I even buy the games off Ebay or Amazon sometimes because the prices are always lower. In places like Gamestop, a game might cost 30 dollars, but on Ebay, you can get the same game for around half price.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy games when they're on sale, but never when they're just released. I find it a waste to buy a game at its most expensive price, when I know that as time goes by the price will go down anyway.

12. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really own the newer gaming consoles such as the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360. However, I owned a Playstation 2 and a Playstation 1 before. I also have a PSP and a Nintendo DS. I never really bought brand new and original games for my consoles. I bought pirated copies or I download my own .iso games instead. I'm not really an avid gamer and I only play RPGs that have really good story line such as Kingdom Hearts, and the Final Fantasy Series.

13. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    So you're the reason the gaming companies are wibbling on about making consoles that are download only? Honestly if you do realize that with the systems you own the prices are actually pretty great and even better now that the console have been pretty well discontinued? I mean even without eBay and the like you have Gamestop which sells these for a song espceially now.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh I pretty much always wait. I can't afford to buy brand new games and it's rare for me to even see one that I want -right now.- If I wnat it so badly now, then chances are, I'm still going to want it in a couple months when it's half-priced instead.

15. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    I find that after 3 to 4 weeks, people sell the games that they have completed to places like cash converters, and cash concepts. They are a good way to generate cash when you don't have any. On the down side to this the repayment on any loans by them is rather high. I guess you could try and swap them with GAME store, as they take games in and discount you on a new game. Blockbuster video also do the same kind of thing.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why do you buy them from Gamestop? They sell games that are missing the cover for $20. Why would you go that route when you can sometimes get the same game new and sealed on Amazon for $20?
    I used to buy games from Gamestop when I was younger and new to online shopping. Now that I've seen all the great deals online , I see Gamestop for the ripoff that it is.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup, pirating is hurting the game industry and it's one of the reasons that game companies are so desperate to make download only consoles, and block used games and have a product key that only lets you download a game once. Buying a game after a price drop or waiting for the greatest hits edition is one thing, but not paying for the game at all is just wrong and makes the industry want to crack down on all gamers.

18. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    Game prices are pretty ridiculous. Around $90 for a new released game is way too expensive and is not justified at all. I always wait a few months after release so I can get the game for a much cheaper price (normally around $20 less.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly try to wait until there's some used copies of a game or when enough time has passed for the price to naturally go down. When it's time to pay my bills, it's not a good idea to buy a new $60 game in between that time. Although, if it's for Christmas or my daughter's birthday, if there's a game she's really excited to get, I do my best to get her the new release. The things I do for my daughter.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I very rarely buy new games. Games today just haven't appealed to me so I guess it's easy to get a good deal because I'll be buying used games. I think I'm just getting old though because there are so many Pokemon games that I can hardly keep up with them anymore.