Videogames's Replay Value And Money Saving

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by davos • May 13, 2016.

1. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Videogame's market is been with us during more than 30 years. And nowadays is one of the most prolific entertainment media you can enjoy. The quantity of quality titles is very huge, and you don't necessarily have to pay 60$ - 70$ to enjoy a videogame with more than one hundred hours of playability. Is very silly to spend 60$ for a Call of Duty title only to play a campaign mode, or even for Fallout 4, that offers hundreds of hours but is mostly uninspired and repetitive compared to Fallout New Vegas that is older but superior in almost every way, and far cheaper, for example.

GOG.com and Steam have a wide selection of different genres for a meager price, with lots of honest customer reviews with different opinions . Check that out.

2. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I think one of the beauties of video games nowadays is that fact that they do allow for replays. This is especially associated with RPG's in which the path your story heavily depends on the choices you make in each game. You can start the first save file with a completely strong offensive warrior, while your next is someone who relies heavily range combat, whether it be through spells in TES or guns and such in Fallout. Plus, don't forget all the mods that you can install which give you a whole new perspective on things. Even older mainstream games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls have gained big modification softwares that allow you to play the older story lines which are just as good with graphics equal to or better than that of Fallout 4 and Skyrim for example.

3. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Some games are so much better than this than others. Most any game you are going to spend 40-60 hours on is going to be a pretty decent deal in terms of money spent vs. entertainment cost per hour, especially when you compare to going to the movies and things like that.

I also buy a lot of used games, or just watch and wait for price drops. Being patient can save a lot of money on gaming!

4. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    My brother would purchase a PS4 game and after playing it, he would sell it to the PS4 enthusiast group he belongs to. He picks really good games which is why he always has a lot of buyers as well. He rarely buys new games and just looks for secondhand ones that would seem good to play. This is a normal practice here so we can save and still enjoy games that are otherwise expensive if bought brand new.

5. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    I feel like a lot of games that I buy now have to have a pretty great replay value, otherwise I just don't really end up playing them in the first place. I feel like, for a solid year, I was totally content with playing just Civilization V, Team Fortress 2, and CS:GO. In each of these games, the online community keep the game alive. Each game is never the same just because people are never the same. Different classes, play styles, strategies, and everything else that separates us as individual gamers is what keeps these games alive. That said, I totally dropped $40 on Overwatch last week, but I have a pretty good feeling that I'll be playing it for years.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Games like The Getaway: Black Monday, are the types of games that I would spend more money on. And I would do so because they have alternate paths and outcomes for different characters, according to what choice you make during the game. Those are the types of games with replay features. They can be more expensive, but I don't mind paying for things like that.

7. nuekboi

nuekboiNew Member

Threads:
    I think there is an important distinction between the hours you spend on a game and the "quality hours" you spend on a game. It is why I apply a standard of "a dollar per hour" (i.e If 30 dollar game gives me 30 hours of playtime, it was worth my cash) to multiplayer games but not singleplayer ones. I might spend hundreds of hours on a video game but that doesn't necessarily make them quality hours spent. A lot of that time might have been waiting in match queues or being frustrated during awful matches. A singleplayer game might last only 10 hours but it will be 10 hours that were refined and doctored to give me the most entertaining experience possible.

Anyway, one game I'd recommend with excellent replayability is Mount and Blade: Warband. It goes for less 10 USD often on Steam and you are guaranteed to get hundreds of hours of varied gameplay from the base game and hundreds and hundreds more from mods

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    The thing is, you don't really know until you have already paid money for the game, so you will only know if it was worth the money afterwards, which kind of sucks, unless you rent the game at a much lower price than it is selling for at retailer price. Most of the games these days are a lot of money just because it is fresh off of the shelves.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think one shouldn't buy a new game the moment it comes out. Be patient. You'll learn more about the game from those who've played than you will from all the reviews you'll read. And by that the time, you'll probably be able to buy the games at a discount or buy a used hard copy of the game [which will save you some money].

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    I would think that most people would look into the games that they want to buy prior to buying it, but this is not always the case, especially with games that have a franchise behind them - seven or move previous games. I research every feature. Like with the wwe wrestling games, i researched and found out that it did not have a key feature, so I did not purchase it. But there are many people who just buy blindly because they are long standing fans of the franchise. silly move, in my opinion.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I almost only ever buy video games when they are already discounted. I'm not that excited for any new title most of the time that I can't wait to play them once they come out. The exception would be my nephews which I do tend to buy video games for most of the time because of course they want to have the game as they come out so they can discuss it with friends and maybe even show off a little bit. For me though I've never been that type even when I was younger because video games were always only my secondary hobby so I'm more able to be patient and not spend as much, thankfully.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    These days though, that tact is nowhere near as potent as it used to be. Back in the day, the prices would drop dramatically if the game had been released for a while. These days, the prices - even after a year after being out - are only reduced by a small amount. It is quite ridiculous, especially considering that games these days are nowhere near as good as they used to be as far as content.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I think it's especially true for console games. I don't play on PC myself but I have browsed steam in the past and it seems like they have lots of free stuff and discounts there, although admittedly I haven't been checking lately so maybe it's true even for their library. I do know that there are sites where you can get digital downloads for a discount though.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    I do feel like it is especially true for console games for sure. When it comes to PC games, the prices have always been very reasonable, whether the game had just been released or not. I think that has always been down to the fact that PC controls are more awkward though. I am sure there are sites that offer digital downloads for discounts. Sites like Origin.

15. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    The beauty of living in a world with a ton of indie games is that now, there are cheaper and shorter experiences available. You don't always have to dish out $60 dollars for a 5 hour game. In fact, that is rarely the case anymore. It was fairly controversial last year when The Order 1886 was a full priced game that only lasted a few hours. Nowadays, it is hard for shorter games like that to actually justify the price tag when their are so many reasonably priced indie games competing with it.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    If we are going to talk about games applications, then I don't feel like they have much or any replay value, unless we are talking about games like Candy Crush, where you can purchase boosts and whatnot, and redo the levels that you have already completed. But a lot of the games on th android market, once you pay for them and complete them, that is it.

17. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    Games with replay value, at least to me come rarely to my hands. There are some few games that I like replaying but the numbers are really low. Hitman: Blood Money is one that I can't never get bored of. I also replayed Undertale 3 times, but I think that is the most you can replay that game. And you can really save money on games that have such huge replay value, because you are not in the need of a new game if you are still replaying the old one. Usually multiplayer games tend to have that like CS:GO or Rocket League.