Vinegar, the wonder disinfectant!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by savergrl • Aug 11, 2012.

1. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I use it for an upset stomach sometimes, it works pretty good. And I use it as a window cleaner. So many things vinegar can be used for. I think you can even use it for a toothache.

2. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I have always used vinegar for cleaning stains and washing the windows. A new use is for conditioning hair. I did not know that vinegar is good for the hair. I like using natural products, so I am going to try conditioning my hair with vinegar and see how it turns out. Thank you for the suggestion.

3. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I love using vinegar throughout the house as an all-purpose cleaner. Along with some water and a spray bottle, I am ready for any spill or mess that comes my way! The only area that I have not tackled with vinegar is our toilets. We have such hard water that we are constantly getting rings around the toilets even if they are cleaned once a week. I will attempt to use some baking soda with that vinegar as I would like to avoid using harsh chemicals.

4. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    I didn't realize vinegar had so many uses. I add a cup of distilled vinegar to a gallon of water as a mixture for my house plants, like, every third watering or so. Next time I'm at the store I will need to stack up on vinegar, and what's great about it: it's very inexpensive.

5. englerja

englerjaMember

Threads:
    I use vinegar for almost all my cleaning. I mix it about 1/2 and 1/2 with water for a good all purpose cleaner for my kitchen counters and bathroom. I recently found a recipe for scenting it by sitting the vinegar in a mason jar with orange peel for a few weeeks. It gives it a nice citrus scent. We also use vinegar for fabric softener and I use it as a facial cleanser!

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely going to try that trick with the orange peel. Usually, I add a few drops of essential oil (usually lavender) to mask the smell, but orange peel would be a whole lot cheaper.

I use it on my gym clothes specifically. I have to wash them every day because I only have one set and I can't just leave them lying around, haha! I wash them out in the sink with a little bit of dish soap and a splash of vinegar and then hang them up. I can definitely tell the difference if I don't use any vinegar. The smell doesn't go away quite as quickly.

7. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I love using vinegar for all my cleaning. I used to buy all of the expensive cleaning supplies for the sink, toilet, shower, floors, counters and more. Now I just use vinegar. I love how it will get rid of stains off the counter. I also love how it will get rid of stains from dishes. I also like how it makes my sinks sparkle. You're right, it is cheaper and safer with less chemicals. It is a great cleaning solution which saves money and with no harsh chemicals.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar to remove odors that are very stubborn to remove. For some reason the hall bathroom toilet was so hard to remove odors, I used bleach and many bathroom cleaner it would not go away. One day I thought to use vinegar and I have a very large smile on my face ever since when I go into that bathroom.

I have used vinegar to get rid of weeds in the yard also.

9. Jacek

JacekNew Member

Threads:
    I have used vinegar to wash windows, washing machines, coffee pots, and dish washers. I also use it for making sweet and sour sauces. I had no idea you could use it as a fabic softener. I am really looking forward to trying this as I don't dry any of my laundry in a dryer and I really miss soft towels. I did just read that to remove salt stains in the winter off your shoes or boots to dampen a cloth in undiluted vinegar and wipe them off. I will definately be trying that this winter.

10. MichelleRhett

MichelleRhettNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah! It is really useful!

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have used vinegar to clean the mirrors and for vases also. I have used it to control color bleeding in the washer, but I didn't know about using it in place of fabric softener. I don't like the way fabric softener makes your clothes smell, so I never use it. I may have to give vinegar a try, especially when washing whites.

12. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I thought I was the only crazy person around who would add vinegar into my load of clothes in the washing machine! Vinegar really works wonders when you add a little into each wash load. Not only does it soften the clothing, it also removes odour and certain stains very well! I typically add vinegar into loads with clothes that I have worn for my workout or runs. They really smell "great" after they are left to "ferment" during the period from when I remove them till the point when I actually wash them at the end of the day. Though vinegar does have a rather offensive odour, they usually would not leave that smell after your clothes are washed since your typical washing powder's scent would mask it. I doubt anyone uses only vinegar to wash their clothes! I've never heard of using vinegar as a hair conditioner and I really doubt I would have the guts to try soaking my hair in that!

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I read this vinegar thread yesterday, and as a result I started drinking the apple cider vinegar that I have here in my home and I went out today and bought some regular white vinegar so that I can see how it works on cleaning up dirt on my carpet.

I had kind of pushed the apple cider vinegar that I have here in my home, into the back of one of my cabinets. I bought it, and had been drinking it for awhile, because I read some research that said it is good for you. It had all but slipped my mind until yesterday after reading this thread here on "dontpayfull" about vinegar. So, I got out the ACV and resumed drinking it last night. Whew!! Very strong taste, but is supposed to be very good for you, curing all kinds of ills and ailments.

I did a bit of research on vinegar as far as cleaning a carpet. My carpet is dirty thanks to several visits from a plumbing company to fix my bathroom, dragging their equipment all over. I discovered some information that says if you put vinegar and water ONLY in a carpet shampooer, your own personal one, or one that you rent from a store, that the vinegar and water is an excellent carpet cleaner.

I love how there are so many uses for vinegar that are listed here. I look forward to using this vinegar I bought today. I'm going to use it in the bathroom, I'm going to use it in the kitchen on the counter tops and on the stove. I'm also going to use it to clean my refrigerator, and I'm going to put some of it in my laundry and see how my clothes come out. I'm very enthused about seeing the results!

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It's worth it. I use apple cider vinegar in my hair all the time, halfway diluted in a spray bottle. Once you rinse it out, the smell goes away very quickly.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar for cleaning my kitchen counters and tiles.. I use it at times as a deodorant in my home when i cook fish.. or leave a small bowl of it in my fridge if there is a stale smell for some reason. It is a great cleaner when used in combination with baking soda.

16. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Cannot agree any more! Vinegar, really helpful for cleaning.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another thing I like about white vinegar is the price. At Walmart, a huge 2 gallon jug is only $2.
    I saw a recipe for shower cleaner that's popular on Pinterest. Supposedly, if you fill a spray bottle with 3 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap and fill the rest of the bottle with vinegar, it makes an amazing bathroom cleaner that takes the soap scum off of everything.

Here's a link to the recipe with pictures.

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I know! It's way cheaper than all those harsh chemical cleaners that just toxify your home, and it cleans everything either just as well or way better. I don't even bother with the spoonfull of dawn for cleaning the shower; I just put vinegar into a spray bottle and it does the trick.

19. angel10

angel10New Member

Threads:
    i also never heard of using vinegar as a hair conditioner, maybe have to try, thanks

20. Deeme

DeemeNew Member

Threads:
    Vinegar Does not kill bacteria at all. I work in restaurant and as a chef I have had a kitchen inspector come and do a swab test after a dispute with a fellow employee about washing a surface with Vinegar, The test result was the surface remained contaminated! We do not use bleach that is a harmful chemical especially while working with food. We do use anti-bacterial cleaner that is harmless and could even drink it, But I wouldn't recommend that anyone! Vinegar is still great on windows and french fries, I just wouldn't trust it to clean a surface especially after working with raw meats like Chicken!