Visa vs. Mastercard

Discussion in Credit Cards started by vida_llevares • Mar 25, 2013.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Hi. I have always wondered what is the difference between the two. Do they have different rates or packages?

2. catilla

catillaNew Member

Threads:
    I had the same question. The only difference that I have found is that there are some places where only one of them is accepted I mean sometimes Visa is accepted, but not Mastercard and vice versa

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have only had Visa credit cards. It's not like I had a choice in the matter, that is just what my banks provided. I don't even know anyone who has a Mastercard. Do any Mastercard holders want to weigh in on this one?

4. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    In many situations, borrowers have no option on what card is issued to them provided that it serves the purpose. I haven't heard anyone say they like visa more than Mastercard and vice versa. However, Mastercard looks more fancy to me. It has the account numbers embedded on top of the card as opposed to visa whose name and card details are inscribed. It feels good holding a Mastercard than a Visa. You can tell that You are holding an ATM card when holding a Mastercard compared to when you are holding a Visa. The rough surface on a Mastercard seems to work for me compared to visa. However, I have had problems with my Mastercard whenever I place the card close to metallic objects which is almost impossible to do so if you keep the card in your wallet. It sometimes refuses to read when swipped on a point of sale system. I don't think Visa Has such problems since the inscriptions are not magnetic

5. srinivas0812

srinivas0812Member

Threads:
    There is no much difference between them. VISA and MasterCard will be randomly issued by your bank. But, you can request for a VISA or for a MasterCard at the time of applying and your bank will issue the card of your choice. In my opinion, VISA is accepted more when compared to MasterCard.

6. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    My debit card is through Mastercard, but the credit cards that I used to have were Visas. I don't really see the difference. I could see where it would be a problem if certain cards weren't accepted at certain places, but that usually isn't a problem with Visa and Mastercard...those are the big two that are pretty much accepted everywhere that you go.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've had both and really haven't noticed much of a difference....occasionally places will accept one and not the other; it goes both ways but Visa may have the *slight* edge there.

8. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I don't believe there's a difference. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they are actually the same company. :)

9. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I think that depends on who is issuing the card, I have a visa debit from my bank which i find more useful them my mastercard cause its used more places. I'm more limited with mastercard.

10. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    The only difference I've ever come across was in promotions. Visa does promotions for the Olympics, and is the only card accepted there, and Mastercard does "exclusives" and events for cardholders. Other than that, I've never experienced much of a difference.

11. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Master Cards are for the masses. :) While Visas are for people in the upper bracket. I know, I sound ridiculous but it is my observation.

Most of the Debit Cards are Master Cards. Debit cards are for people who are in budget and wouldn't want to risk over spending. :)
    Most credit cards are Visas. You would often Visa offers in most high-end places, malls, restos, and even department stores.

What do you think? :)

12. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Whatever happened to Diner's club? American Express? Master card seems to have a little better status than Visa.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    American Express and Discover card are quite common on the East Coast, it seems and are regularly accepted, but when I was out in the midwest, both of those cards are practically nonexistent. Nobody really has them because not many places accept them!

As for Visa vs Mastercard, those used to be distinguished more by who accepted which one, but most places consider these to be the two main cards now and accept both. I can't remember the last time a place didn't accept both a Mastercard and a Visa.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no difference between Visa and Mastercard. Both companies don't issue cards, they only process payments. So if you have to choose one, considering the fact that both are accepted almost everywhere these days, choose [the interests rates charged differ from issuing bank to issuing bank] the one that will cost you the least in terms of charges or one that will benefit you best if they offer the best rewards.