Visiting Hawaii and avoiding trouble

Discussion in Travel started by artifactsofmars • Jun 23, 2012.

1. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    Not to knock Hawaii or Samoans, but when I was in the service were were told to avoid certain places where there were large Samoans who were aggressive and would pick fights with mainlanders. Has anyone here had that experience? I stuck to the tourist areas to stay out of trouble. While I am talking about tourist areas, I visited Waikiki beach and really was not terribly impressed. I remember Hawaii almost as a Yankee state where it never gets cold, unless you are on a mountain that is. To be fair, I just was in Honolulu I think.
    If you ever go there, make certain that you visit the Arizona Memorial. The movie The Final Countdown shows the aircraft carrier Nimitz rendering honors to the Arizona. That by the way is factual. Incoming and outgoing ships render honors to the fallen ship, which sank in the infamous Pearl Harbor attack. I reached down and touched the Arizona, which is quite an amazing experience.
    :)

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been to Hawaii but hope to go there someday. I had never heard that there were certain places to avoid but will have to keep that in mind. We would definately go to the Arizona Memorial. I didn't know that you could actually touch it. That would be quite a humbling experience to have.

3. jojocoach

jojocoachNew Member

Threads:
    I was in Hawaii last November and never had a problem. We stayed on Maui for a week and then stayed on Oahu for a week. Also went to the "big" island Hawaii for the day. Never had a problem. We did not stay in the tourists areas. We prefer to visit the local places. Loved every minute and never had a problem. Trip of a lifetime!!

4. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with what others have said. I've never had a problem nor have I ever known anyone who has. I would advise staying clear of unfamiliar places alone or even with just one other person at night, but that is good advice for travelling everywhere. I hope you enjoy Hawaii- it's just beautiful :)

5. PurpleWasabi

PurpleWasabiNew Member

Threads:
    I am originally from Hawaii and I can tell you that not all natives are aggressive and looking for a fight. Sure there are some that don't like people from the mainland, but as long as you don't do something annoying and stupid, you should be fine. Most people on the island are very kind, but then again, I guess I can't be one-hundred percent sure because I'm an islander myself. As for your disappointment of Waikiki Beach, I would have to agree with you on that. Waikiki Beach is my least favorite beach in all the island. Throughout the years, the beach has been littered on and the life of it has been killed. I guess that's one reason why some natives don't like tourists too much. The many years of tourism has made the water dirty and the sand littered with cigarette buds and shattered glass. If you want to see the real beaches of Hawaii, you have to go to the more quiet and local ones. I recommend the beaches in Kailua for the next time you go.