Vitamins and supplements

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by GavinMcresty • Apr 27, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    Do you use vitamins and supplements to assist your workout? Which ones do you use? Do you feel that they help? Are there any specific combinations you take?

Personally, I do not use any. I am not trying to exercise "competitively". I just do it for health so if I eat healthily and reasonably, then that should be sufficient. Of course, if I really wanted to do things at a professional level, then I might need the extra assistance.

2. pearson

pearsonNew Member

Threads:
    Vitamins gives us best work outs.

3. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    I do use protein supplements for my workout sessions and sometimes fruits..including Apples and Bananas..

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't work out anymore, but I never took any vitamins or supplements when I was doing it. The last time I took vitamins was when I was a kid, but I did try some beneficial supplements that's supposed to be good for your health.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't take vitamins that will help with my workout instead I just take a daily multi vitamin that I know will keep my immune system up to pat in case I don't get all my nutrients from the food I eat,
    Therefore I've been taking centrum for quite a while now and I would recommend it as well.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    ^^This.

I don't "supplement my workout" but I do supplement my diet with a daily multi vitamin (currently a prenatal for breastfeeding), fish oil, extra vitamin B for energy, a probiotic, and for a few weeks of the month, iron.

Honestly, I know there are those who claim vitamins are just giving humans really expensive urine, because we pee out more than we absorb. But I only buy vitamins at CVS when they are on sale, so I rarely pay very much for them, and I notice a HUGE difference on days that I do not take them compared to days I do. I don't care if it is a placebo effect. I think they help.

7. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    Me and you both are on the same level there, if you really are not going to be training for competitions or as a professional athlete there is no need for a person to be taking supplements. The foods that you eat, should be enough to sustain your body and your workouts. What I have found from my husband taking supplements, you become too reliant on them. As a result when you do not take them your body feels tired all the time, it also feels as though you are missing something.

What I always tell people is that, these very same supplements are derived from the fruits and vegetables, thus it is important that we take in foods from all the food groups. Especially the protein, dairy and vegetable and fruit groups. You need to know the recommended amount of each, for a person your age and weight, in that ways you will have a balanced system.

8. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I've taken Magnesium last year, but I have stopped because I think the body should be self-sufficient, but maybe I am wrong. When I have tournaments I take my Powerades, but don't know if that applies as supplements. I really believe that what we eat is many times not adequate, but who has the time or money to be seen by a nutritionist? Or am I being lazy?

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use supplements. The only supplement I currently use specifically for weight training is whey protein powder. I buy the unflavoured versions and it works out very cheap when compared to other sources of protein, it is by far the cheapest source of protein per serving. I also take magnesium and vitamin D but that's not really for training, although it obviously helps.

10. Adam

AdamNew Member

Threads:
    That's because the commonly bought multivitamins you can find in the store use cheap sources for their vitamins so they have horrible bioavailability.
    Here's one of my personal favorites that has quality sources at a good price:

11. Kwizkey

KwizkeyNew Member

Threads:
    I take a multivitamin and Omega-3 tablets. I feel these make up for the lack of fish in my diet and helps hit RDA's of vitamins I wouldn't get from food or the sun. I wouldn't die without them but they are cheap and I feel psychologically more awake and fresh knowing that I've taken what I need everyday.

12. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    As long as you aren't brand specific there are always coupons for supplements at local drug stores. A lot of times these stores have promotions running like buy 1 get 1 free. If you use this with a coupons you can get a great deal on supplements.
    However, I also find that wholesalers such as Costco has a large quantities for pretty good prices. Finally check out Amazon to compare prices and brands names. They usually have some of the lowest prices unless you find a great deal at a drugstore.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:As you get older you'll find that you need supplements. My doctor recommended Ocuvite or ARDS eye vitamins. I find that supplements and vitamins do help you throughout life. You just have to watch the expiration dates and strength of it.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't worked out in ages, but even when I used to, it wasn't aggressive. So I never used any supplements to help my progress. I do however use supplements for my overall health and wellbeing. I take a multi vitamin, Brewers Yeast for my skin, Evening Primrose oil for my PMS and Omega 3 oils.

15. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't use any exercise supplements and although I do take a few additional minerals and vitamins in order to make sure that my body is getting all the nutrients it needs - which are necessary as I'm extremely restricted in what I can eat, due to health issues - I can't see much point in wasting money on those specifically aimed at the exercise market - when eating a healthy well balanced diet consisting of nutrient dense foods and keeping well hydrated is all that is required - particularly as doing the latter - having exercised all my life and even at times competitively - is something that I can't help but agree with.

In fact - as there are no magic powders or supplements that will give anyone the physique of their dreams and its only - a well-balanced diet containing adequate calories and nutrients combined with a well-designed exercised program that can do that - realistically speaking - not only are gimmicky exercise supplements not necessary but generally best avoided and especially so - if overall health is the goal.

16. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    If you are not taking your right meal than you are not fit. If you are eating something then make sure are eating right means you are taking your right vitamins and supplements in your diet. If you are eating right meal then it means you are fit and healthy. So avoid eating junk food and eat healthy food :)

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I heard somewhere that these aren't all that necessary or helpful, and I myself have always suspected it. I'm not too sure on the explanation but from what I understand you only end up wasting the vitamins because your body has a certain limit and that limit is often reached just by eating food and the rest is just literally peed away. I'm not an expert though so I might be wrong but I myself don't buy any.

18. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I am a vegetarian, and because of this I take a multivitamin daily, as I know that it helps with getting the right amounts of vitamins that I need into my diet. I know that a lot of vegetarians struggle in this respect, so I always like to make sure that I am taking in the vitamins that I need. I would certainly recommend this to anybody else who doesn't feel as though they are getting enough from their diet.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been watching this thread to see what people are using, if anything at all. But I see that nobody has actually stated what supplements specifically they use. Do you mind telling me which ones you have fond helpful? I recently started working out and could do with something in that 'department'. I'm finding some of the workout regimes are very hard going, especially when we train with this bunch of ex-army blokes...YIKES!

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that I go out of my way to purchase vitamins and supplements to assist with my workouts. My workouts can be pretty sporadic. I often have spurts of motivation where nothing will stop me, and then I will have periods of inactivity. I remain taking Organic Blacktrap Molasses throughout both periods, because I have an iron deficiency. It helps to combat those feelings of weakness and vertigo so that I can address workouts feeling my best.