Vouchers As Gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by lizzief79 • Oct 29, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Do you give vouchers as gifts? I am in two minds about whether they are a good gift to give or not. On the one hand, they allow a person to spend the money on somethingthey want instead of giving them a gift that they neither want or will use. On the other hand, it is lacking in thoughtfullness and if the voucher is for a place they never shop, it may be a worthless gift. What are your thoughts? Do you give them or like receiving them?

2. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I would much get a voucher or a gift card than actual presents on holidays and my birthday. I do not think it isn't thoughtful at all. You can never go would wrong with food gift cards. It always seems to come in handy once and a while for me anyway.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Vouchers, as in gift cards, can be a great things. For instance, if you would love to take your friend/relative shopping for a new clothing item, but you don't live near enough to the to do so, giving the a gift card is a way you can send them on that shopping trip even though you are unable to do so in person. Gift cards can also be the most ideal thing for someone who has many needs that are hard to shop for. Graduation for instance is a great time to give someone a gift card to a big box store or an office supply store because they will need a cart load of things as they start out in college, but trying to buy some of them for the person might just end up giving them duplicates, wrong size ect.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    A voucher is a great gift! However, make sure that the voucher is something that the recipient would gladly use.

I like to give vouchers for clothes/shoe stores to ladies. If you friend enjoys reading books, make sure you get him/her a bookstore voucher! For people that you might not really know that well, I've found that a gift card for a cafe/restaurant works well enough.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I give vouchers as gifts, but only to relatives or close friends. I do not want to give them to other people like coworkers because I wouldn't know if the service indicated in the voucher is something that they would like.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are alright as gifts. I know I'd be glad to get them as a gift, especially when compared to some other types of gifts that I may not necessarily like in the first place anyway. I think giving them out as gifts is okay because even if it's just as good as cash it also shows you know the person since you picked out the store that Yu know that person would like to buy from.

7. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I am not neutral on this. I think vouchers are pretty useful for corporate purchases, as many services can give you quite a bargain by issuing vouchers. Usually they are perceived as a compensation to a lack of service. They could also be intended as a gift, but there really is no way for me to be expecting vouchers. They are just like any other methods of payment, though, so in some cases they could be considered gifts. But, unlike money, you might not be able to purchase vouchers that are considered as corporate gifts.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Vouchers, or gift cards as they're called in the US, can be very handy when you just really don't know what to get a person, as sometimes they seem to have everything. Or, if they live too far away, you might not even know what they have or what they have room for. If you know them at all, though, you'll probably know the names of the places that they like to shop in, eat at, get music from, etc.
    And sometimes you can get vouchers from places that don't normally sell them. I once called a small restaurant in Jonesborough, TN (I lived nowhere near there.) and got a voucher for my mom for her birthday. It was a place I knew she frequented--a meeting place for creative locals, mainly--because she mentioned it every time I heard from her. I remember I liked the name. It was called The Blackberry Thistle and when I called I found that the people who ran it knew my mom very well. They said she came in nearly every day and they were nice enough (on their own) to make a little party of presenting her with the voucher the next time she came in, as she mostly came in when she knew at least some of her friends would be there. She was thrilled. As was I.
    I see nothing unthoughtful in that.
    And the people I exchange gifts with all know that I love Amazon. They can give me an Amazon card and it will be a source of entertainment for quite awhile as I shop around on the site, deciding what I want to spend it on. I'm easily amused, I guess. And it reminds me of perusing the old Sears and Roebucks catalogues, for some reason. I really like that.