Waiting Or Going To The Doctor?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by to7update • Jan 10, 2017.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Today I woke up with a swollen eye, so this is new for me. I went to the drugstore and they gave me something, but told me that if it doesn't go away by tomorrow, I need to check a doctor. Do you usually go to the doctor immediately, or try something first from the drugstore? Is it cheap to go to the doctor where you live?

2. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Not only you, it's a common tendency to avoid going to the doctor at the fist place. In a given health condition, initially I too try out to reduce the symptoms by taking the same medicines what I've used in the similar situations before.

However, advice is something you can easily offer to others.:D So, I'd rather suggest to visit a doctor though it might not be pocket friendly. Swollen eyes could be due to conjunctivitis and in that case early prevention is better as it might spread to others.
    Get well soon!:)

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Where I currently live, health care is free and to consult, it's very cheap but where I used to live, everything was very expensive. I only went to the doctor once for a shot when a fever wouldn't go away. Whenever I become ill, I go to the store, ask around, and buy the medicine people recommend and it always works. Why pay for doctor meetings when they're going to prescribe you the same thing you could have purchased? Over 50 dollars of savings right there for ONE time.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I would act in similar way as you did if I wake up with any mild discomfort I'll visit the pharmacy or a nearby drugstore for medications first. Sure it is normally advised if symptoms persist after two days to visit the doctor. With that said, if the opportunity and means is there to visit the doctor straight away I'd agree to that.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is our common practice to observe first the condition of such ailment may be having until it persists for 3 days. Going to a doctor is too expensive especially to a private doctor. For a government physician, you are just like wasting your time in seeing him. Your malady won't be properly diagnosed and he would just give a cure-all medicine. So we better keep ourselves always not to get sick. To be careful of what we eat, of we do especially not to overdo for it would affect our body resistance and immune system.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes the symptom is scary so I rush to the doctor. Like that swollen eye, if you think it is the ordinary sore eyes that is conjunctivitis (swelling of the glands due to virus) then it is not alarming and it can probably be remedied by over-the-counter medication. But it there is some blue color aside from the red color then you may need to see an ophthalmologist.

Some years back, I have noticed that there was a bulge in my eye like a small pimple right in the eyeball. I checked it several times and when I was sure it was not the lid but the eyeball, I went to an ophthalmologist on the next day. Indeed, I was right and the doctor said that they don’t operate on small cysts like that. I was prescribed to apply hot compress twice a day. Fortunately the cysts was gone in a matter of weeks.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Going to the doctor here is fairly cheap here but I still try to avoid going as much as I possibly can, because I'm scared and don't really like taking medication. Before I have to go to the doctor I wait a few days and try some home remedies. If the situation worsens then I opt to go to the doctor but that's if a week passes. I haven't been to the doctor since I gave birth and thay was almost 3 years ago.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the get-well wishes guys, but I am actually not better, but I am not worse either. So as it's not really something urgent, instead of going to the ER (that would cost me approximately €20), I scheduled and appointment for an ophthalmologist tomorrow, and this will just cost me €4. Hopefully I am better tomorrow and I can cancel this appointment though.

9. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I am quite reluctant to approach a doctor at the first instance itself. However it also depends on the seriousness of the situation. If I am feeling feverish I may try home remedies first and most of the times it worked well for me. In fact I haven't taken any modern medicines for the past 3-4 years or so.

This is not just to save money but doctors here prescribe antibiotics even for small diseases. As you know indiscriminate use of antibiotics will do more harm than good. So I am quite satisfied with home remedies. In any case I won't try a medicine from medical store without consulting a doctor if need be, except paracetamol tablets.

10. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I use appropriate medications for my problems from day 1. I know them from experience. When I feel things aren't getting better I do see the doctor. I don't drag too much on self medications.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I have developments on this topic, and aren't the best ones. I have knee pain for the last 3 months, and a magnetic resonance imaging showed I have a meniscus rupture, so I need to undergo surgery. LOL, it took me 3 months to realize that...!

12. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    This may make you smile, but while I lived in Egypt I would actually ask my Vet. :eek: He would always give me good advice and tell me if I could get something over the counter that would aid my recovery. As I was there anyway seeing him for an appointment for my dog it was easy to ask him questions about my own health. He was actually treating other humans as well.

Even since living in the UK I have been able to email him and ask him advice. A truly brilliant Doc!

13. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it didn't exactly made my smile @janemariesayed@janemariesayed, but thinking again I am smiling indeed! :D Isn't it dangerous that you get advice for your health from a veterinarian? I understand we have a similar anatomy to animals, but even so. I am guessing he has to be a brilliant doc as you mention. :)

14. slumberchip

slumberchipNew Member

Threads:
    Paying a visit to the doctor means shelling out money, usually coming from your emergency funds. While some home remedies are cost-effective, you must make sure that you are not compromised health-wise. For simple coughs and colds, taking the usual medicine might do the trick, but you have to monitor worsening symptoms. It definitely pays to get yourself checked as soon as possible; otherwise, you might have to be confined to a hospital which would cost you so much more.

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am guessing you are in the United States @slumberchip@slumberchip where health is almost as expensive as gold right? But yeah, some expense, but no big deal. For me, it's mainly the inconvenience of scheduling, going there and, many times, for almost nothing. Other situations we do need to go. What is the most important is that we don't drag the situation for too long, or else we might get a bigger problem.

16. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid going to the doctor because of the waiting times. Last time I had to see my GP I had a three week wait and I've been on an NHS waiting list for nearly several years now. So much for NHS targets! If it was anything serious I'd probably be in hospital before I got to see him! I can go private, but it costs, so that's not something I do unless I have to.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never try anything on my own if it seems like something complicated. You never know the reason of your sickness as it could be only a symptom of something serious. As far I am concerned money spent on such things is always worth because I believe in prevention is better than cure. I do not want to take a chance so I go to my doctor before it becomes a serious matter.

18. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am lucky enough to have an insurance that allows me access to most private hospitals for an affordable fee, so whenever I have issues I just go to the ER. Sure, even in private hospitals I can wait for hours for a doctor to see me, so I call before to know which ones have less waiting time.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is nothing to feel surprised if he consults his vet about his own health related issues because you gotta know doctors and people in Asia and Africa. You know even the dietitians and physical trainers consider themselves as doctors in these areas and leave no chance to provide suggestions about serious health related problems.

20. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I am guessing that in some African and Asian countries it has to be another reality, good point there @Ray1@Ray1. I am fortunate enough to have been born in a country where hospitals and doctors are everywhere, but sadly it's not like this in the rest of the world. So yeah, a veterinarian can act as a doctor in the absence of one.