Wall decorations.

Discussion in Home & Garden started by prettycolors • Apr 2, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Most people I know leave the walls blank or simply stick a painting or two on them and they're done. I see all that unused space as a huge waste so I decided to use some inexpensive stickers or try my hand at stencil art.

Here's an example of what I want to accomplish.

What are you using as decoration?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use any decorations because I like a brutal and bare look. And I really don't like nailing anything to the wall or adding something that will leave a mark after removal. My room is pretty boring. :)

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a tough time with wall art as well. I get annoyed really easily and hate seeing stuff that's too bold or loud every day. I try to keep everything calm and neutral. I can't stand wall art (or interior design as a whole) that is too "theme-y" and specific. I would grow tired of it way too fast and want something different right away.

The other thing that drives me nuts, is I am very OCD as to how it is hung. I majored in art while in college, and we had to hang our own work for student shows at the museums and they are very specific on how high they need to be hung. It's something like you need to measure 58" from the floor, then center your artwork vertically on that 58" mark, if I recall it correctly. 58" is supposedly the average eye level of viewers. When I see people just hanging stuff haphazardly without measuring things out properly it gives me a headache. If something is off by even a half inch it irritates me.

When I do try to decorate my walls, I end up putting like 100 holes in the wall, constantly moving the work around until it is just right.

One thing I do like to use though are decorative mirrors. They are neutral and they are functional as well since they help direct the natural light around the room as you like. Plus they can make a room look much bigger too.