Walmart Customer Service The Worst?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Teens In Crisis • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Teens In Crisis

Teens In CrisisMember

Threads:
    Yesterday we spent an ungodly amount of time in Walmart. I don't like going there in general, it seems to be the land of tweakers and single moms, but I have noticed a SHARP decline in the way customer service is handled at Walmart. I think that just a few years ago they were at least helpful, if not particularly competent at their jobs. Now it seems like they are just annoyed by the customer, and don't want to deal with them at all. I realize jobs like that can be taxing, and they don't make much, but the entire store exists because of customers, you'd think they'd at least want to treat them decently.

Or, is it that people will take bad customer service if it means saving a buck or two? Personally, I'd rather spend a little more and not have to deal with horrific customer service.

2. jaygee

jaygeeNew Member

Threads:
    Walmart has never been known for its customer service and the way things stand, it never will be. They don't pay employees well and they don't treat them well either from what I've heard so your local Walmart is staffed with a whole bunch of unhappy people, except for maybe the Waltons. They are billionaires. If I have an option, I go to Target.

3. Teens In Crisis

Teens In CrisisMember

Threads:
    I guess I'm "old fashioned" but it drives me crazy when I can tell that they are visibly bothered by having to help a customer out, or help find something. If you're that unhappy, start looking for a new job, no need to infect the rest of us with their negativity and BS!

4. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the location, for me. My small town has few job opportunities. This means people who would otherwise hold professional positions end up at the Wal-Mart instead. Service is great there. I live in the city now. I rarely visit the Wal- Mart in the city because it is usually a terrible experience.

5. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I used to work at Walmart and it was usually the managers fault that the costumer service is bad. at the store I worked for the managers where no help at all, and there's only a certain amount that the other people are allowed to do. It was almost like the higher up Walmart people were out to get the little guys, so there was a lot of drama and distrust. Its not good when you add costumers into the mix.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    From my experience Wal-Mart definitely has the worst customer service of any business. The employees seem miserable and the managers aren't very professional. These are very busy stores so I can understand a certain amount of fatigue and irritability on the part of employees. But you should still be professional and helpful to customers. I usually go to Target. Much nicer stores, cleaner, and a much better customer service.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I doubt walmart will ever have amazing customer service- it just doesn't seem to go with the territory. But then again you can kind of expect that from them, so I wouldn't say that it's the absolute worst. I've actually had customer service there *try* really hard to help me, which is more than I can say for some places. Right now I'm really annoyed at Safeway and their terrible handling of a situation where they double charged our card...so sometimes it's places that you expect to have somewhat better customer service that end up really leaving you feeling let down and angry.

8. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would say at least once a month I tell myself that this is the LAST time I shop at Wal-Mart - but I always end up back there, thanks to the lower prices.

However, I have tried to make it a personal goal to not go to Wal-Mart on the weekends or the evenings, especially Friday evening. I have found that I am always a little happier if I avoid Wal-Mart at that time.

My youngest son just started kindergarten, so I try to shop early in the morning after I drop him off. Its still mediocre at best at that time (and poor customer service) but a little more tolerable :)

9. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    To tell the truth, I have never had a problem with them. I know they changed policy toward money back items. They would rather the customer exchange the item in question for something else because of all of the shoplifters trying to cash in on stolen items. But, other than that, the store I go to is pretty much a get along store.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm one of the single moms that OP mentioned. I've had a Walmart cashier or two roll their eyes at me and charge me more than once for an item.
    I tolerate it because their prices are stupid cheap and I experience a little sticker shock when I see that certain things cost more at Kmart, like a rug that would be $19.99 at Walmart is $35 at Kmart.

There's an Aldi opening here, so I'll check it out and see if I can cobble together some decent meals from there. I'd like to have other options for cheap groceries besides Walmart.

11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I've had a couple of bad experiences at Wal-Mart recently. Just makes me want to avoid that place even more than I already do. I asked for help finding an item the other day and the associate acted like I was just inconveniencing them in the worst way. Very irritating but I kept my cool.

12. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    At my local Walmart the cashiers are always friendly. They are the average citizen trying to make a living. However when I go to the return or exchange desk, the people there seems always angery. They act like they hate their jobs. The individuals on the floor seem fine. Some do seem like they don't want to be bothered, but when approach them I usually ask my question anyway and try to be upbeat. What I discovered is if I am cheerful, then they don' t seem as put off.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From my experience, Walmart indeed has one of the worst customer services out of every company. One time I had a double charge on my credit card from online grocery shopping and when i called in to talk to customer service the lady was really rude and actually hung up on my face!!! Bad company.

14. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    The company, as a whole, has developed a "you need me more than I need you" attitude.it doesn't matter how many people throw their hands up in the air and and say, "screw it". There will always be more customers who can't afford to go to a better store. I think that attitude is picked up by everyone who works there. If the management doesn't care, the employees definitely won't!

15. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say the problems ALWAYS start at the top, and work their way down in any business. The upper management at Walmart is overpaid, while the employees are underpaid. Upper management couldn't care less about customer service!

16. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    It's mix and match in the local walmart where I'm at. They have some good employees and then there are those who seem to run if they think you're looking in their direction. I think the biggest problem, which probably exists in most walmarts, is that they never have enough people working anywhere in the store, so some of the people running are people who don't know beans about the department you've found them in. They're fish out of water and they know if they try to enlist help in helping you they'll find none because there's nobody designated to work that department right then.

And, of course, they always have at least twenty registers up front with only about six of them open.

17. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    There was one in South Carolina whose policy was to stop everyone who had an item not in the bag. You'd waste 2 minutes standing there while they check your cart. It isn't just expensive stuff, either. But 12 packs, and such, as well.

18. ImariFutari

ImariFutariMember

Threads:
    It's because Walmart employee's are paid so terribly! If you've been keeping up on any recent news, you'd definitely know that Walmart is an evil, disgusting corporation. They pay so little per hour, for such a long period of time (while refusing to give benefits in some circumstances) that I would totally understand those that choose to not act friendly. Why would you? They barely pay a living wage, and I do believe that a lot of these people are working their butts off at a second (or possibly even third) job.

Heck, even McDonalds workers are making $15 an hour (which's great for them, I totally agree with this). A lot of people think that these blue-collar jobs are only occupied by teenagers, too, but Walmart employee's range from young men and old women - it's very rude to say that they're being rude just to be rude. It's because they're working under ungodly and unethical conditions! Why? Because they need money!

Honestly, if a Walmart employee acts out toward me (which isn't very often, it has only happened once every blue moon), I tend to brush it off. I understand their struggle. Even if that's not the reason, I'm not going to be angry just because someone else is. I don't shop there anymore, either way.

They have been striking lately, which's good. Hopefully Walmart cleans up their horrendous, greedy act. Maybe then, you can expect good service from their employee's.

Not to mention, they also own several sweatshops in China. How terrible. How else do you think their prices are so low?

Go to Target next time. I haven't shopped at Walmart for a while, and never will ever again. They're disgusting.

19. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Some business's have complaint line for unhappy customers.'when an employee gets rattled on they typically get written up, or some other form of sick plunge. The less contact they have with the public, the less chance they have of getting in trouble. It's kind of hard to read a name tag when all you see is them rushing away.

20. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Well it's not surprising considering the people they hire. They want people who can't think for themselves, and no goodie two shoes. I'm not joking. When I applied to walmart as a teenager I got declined, so I decided to look up their requirements. Apparently if you answer "have you ever stolen anything" with a no. You are instantly denied because they believe everyone has took something from a store at least once without paying. Oh sorry, how foolish of me to think that not everyone is a criminal.