Walmart Savings Catcher

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by felielizab • Jun 17, 2015.

1. felielizab

felielizabMember

Threads:
    Has anyone tried using Walmart Savings Catcher? If you haven't heard of it, Walmart rolled out the Savings Catcher app a few months ago. It is a savings app that allows you to scan your receipts from Walmart. The app is then supposed to find the lowest prices at local stores nearby and give you back the savings. Price matching made easy. However, I'm wondering how many of you have used it and if so, was it really better than doing your own price matching?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't personally used it, but someone I know has. They like it. I'm just a little cautious when it comes to apps. This sounds like a good one, but how intrusive is it really? Have you read all the fine print? How much access to your personal information is involved? How many permissions does the app secure in the fine print? These kinds of questions are always my biggest concerns, after reading the fine print on some apps... it's ridiculous how much access some of them demand.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've used it for a few months now, and have gotten a total of about-$1.50 back (though I don't usually spend more than $30 at a time, shopping about twice-a-week).

The other week, I saw a flyer for Savings Catcher that listed a bunch of sites they scan for better prices on your entered-items; but that's probably something the local workers put together, because the

just says "We compare advertised prices from the top retailers located nearby the Walmart store where you shopped. When you submit your receipt using our website, you will see the list of retailers that we are comparing to (which I haven't ever seen ... I might talk about that in a letter to their administrators). When you submit your receipt using our app, you will see the number of top competitors near the Walmart store where you shopped. The name of each competitor will then move across the screen."

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    :mad: I just spent an hour and a half writing a post that goes-over the Savings Catcher process, but either LOST the post or haven't 'updated' enough to see it! I explained how you register your purchases with them, why they don't just do it at point-of-sale, how they compare the prices; and was just about to display my most-recent SC-success, when my browser FROZE and the hour-and-a-half was LOST.
    This is where the difference between 'online wages' and 'hourly wages' is clearly seen (because it's a common occurence ... people spend 'long minutes' typing posts, forgetting to 'Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C' every-so-often, and their connection "times out" or their browser freezes-up and the post is lost). Were I getting paid "by-the-hour," it wouldn't hurt so bad to have lost the post (as I'd be getting paid for the time-working anyhow). But NOW (if I were getting paid per word or -per post), that time in my life HAS NO REPAYMENT---unless you count the additional 'inspiration' it gives me to write this post :D

5. sundyd

sundydNew Member

Threads:
    Walmart Savings Catcher is a huge savings for me. I end up in Walmart at least three times a week, and I try to enter my receipt into the app every time I go. Right now, I have $24.00 saved up and ready to use towards my next purchase. It only takes me a few minutes to enter the required information, so it's definitely worth the time. If you're not using it, I would suggest giving it a try!

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started using Savings Catcher at the beginning of December 2014, and to date, I've earned $55.82. When I first started, there was a double points program in effect, whereby if you signed up for a BlueBird card from American Express, you would get double points if you transferred your savings catcher points to your Blue Bird card. I did that, of course, and that's why I've gotten back so much money. I'm a careful shopper, and buy a lot of sale and generic items that usually aren't compared, but once in a while, I'll buy something brand name, and if it happens to be on sale for a lower price at a store Walmart uses for comparison, I will get some money back. It's very little work, and so anything back is a bonus.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't thought about that. Even after joining Savings Catcher, I've been a consistent buyer of Walmart's Great Value brand stuff (even today, I got some of their ice-cream and their instant coffee!) I guess something in me wants to 'get straight to the bargain.' (And I don't usually 'search competitors' ads to see if I can for-sure get an SC-refund.')

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll check, and sometimes the brand name will be pretty close in price (or even lower in price occasionally), in which case, I'll buy the brand name, unless I actually prefer the Great Value product. That way, the product (brand name) will have a better chance of being compared, hence a better change of money back, since brand names are sold elsewhere, and Great Value products aren't.

Here's a list of Walmart store brands, so those using Savings Catcher can compare them in store, and decide which they'd rather buy, these, and have them not be compared, hence not eligible for Savings Catcher cash back, or opt for the name brand, and potentially get some money back through Savings Catcher: