Walmart Staff Helpful If Older

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Waynefire • May 24, 2012.

1. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I know for me shopping is something I do not like doing, but it is required if I want to eat. However, I have found at my local Walmart if I ask the older workers they are very helpful. The problem is the younger kids are rude and do not want to help at all and this can make my shopping experience terrible has anyone else had this problem lately?

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I have had this problem before, and it because younger people haven't developed social skills. Most of the kids that they hire are fresh out of high school, and they need help talking to people. Older people tend to be more helpful because they have the experience. It a shame that the managers at Walmart hire anyone, and they don't care if you're right for the job. This hurts the business because it will lead to a lot of complaints. There's always an exception to every rule because I've talked to older people who were crabby. Then I resorted to finding a younger person to help me.

3. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even get older people who are nice. I even say hi and they just have that look on their face like 'I hate my life'. Walmart definitely needs to put a little more effort in customer service training.

4. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    I don't know that it's younger kids are rude so much as inexperienced. They're used to being the pampered customer, not the other way around.

5. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    That might be possible but probably not the case all the time. Well, it certainly wasn't the case in this situation I was in a while back. I was picking up something from their site to store place and it was kind of busy with people returning things and such. I was standing there waiting for a long time and the workers in the return section (they were older ladies) were totally ignoring me. They'd just walk past me without acknowledging me. I didn't want to say anything because I wanted to see how long it would take before a worker came up to ask me what I needed. Needless to say, I was completely ignored. I know they were a bit busy but they didn't even bother to look at me and tell me that someone would help me as soon as they could. A younger girl (who just got back from break or something) finally came and helped me after I was standing there for 15 minutes or so.

6. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    Customer service is one of those things where you get what you pay for. If you want low prices you have to put up with low-paid staff who usually hate their jobs and are overworked. Those cheap prices don't just come from exploiting workers in the factories where the items are made. They are also subsidized by paying store employees lousy wages.

7. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Most of the people at my local Wal-Mart are women in their 20s to 40s who want to sit around and gossip all day at one register vs. ringing up customers, or so it seems! The older people who work there do seem to be nicer, but for the most part, almost everyone seems bothered if you ask them for help at all. The other place where I find rude workers is in the electronics section. It's like those folks just want to hang around and look at DVDs vs. ring you up!

8. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have had a mixed bag of results. I have caught some of the older people on a bad day and they were mean and had the attitude of why are you here bugging me, but then I have caught younger people being as nice as possible. Like others have said you get what you have paid for and not the other way around.

9. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I have seen this in so many places that I have lost count. There just seems to be a lack of work ethic among young people today. I realize that they aren't making a fortune working in some places, but customers are the ones paying your salary. At least treat people well enough to get the money out of them.

10. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    The workers at my Walmart seem pretty helpful at times. I was looking for a particular product the lady, probably a manager, was standing up front told me they did sell I and told me what isle it would be in. I looked and looked and didn't see it. So this one guy worker that I see in there all the time stopped to ask if I needed help. I told him what i was looking for. He looked and asked a couple co-worker who didn't seem to know. This worker that was helping me busted his behind to help me find this particular item so he went somewhere thinking a higher up manager and found out that they didn't sell the Odoban that I was looking for. My biggest quarrel is when you need help it's hard to find someone at times. A lot of the employees do walk by you without asking if you need help finding anything. I don't blame any business hiring kids since we all need to get experience somehow If establishments didn't hire kids then nobody will have job experience.

11. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    My local Walmart has very nice and very helpful employees. The older employees are always very nice, friendly and helpful. There are also younger employees that are very nice, friendly and helpful as well. There are a number of older employees that stand out to me because they do go out of their way to help others but I really don't have any complaints for the most part about the younger employees. I have been to a different Walmart that is about 30 minutes from my house that I will never go to again because of the lack of friendliness and helpfulness in both the old and the young.

12. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I think this tends to be true for many stores, not just Walmart. Younger people that work at stores such as Walmart, are not there because of choice. It is usually a means of getting by, or they have "settled" for Walmart because of not choosing to do better for themselves. That right there tells you the kind of person they are. Older adults in a similar position often CHOOSE to work where they are working. They may hold higher standards for themselves and still believe in the older customs of customer service and putting their all into what they are doing, even if it isn't exactly what they hoped to be doing.

13. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure why the younger generation is being picked on. I mean this is a problem across all ages. Nobody wants to work with Walmart especially since this is a company known for gypping their employees with a smile on their face and a song in their heart. I've had friends, classmates, and neighbors who have worked there and hated every second. They generally tried to do their job, but it's hard to smile when you're forced to work long hours for very little pay and every second there are another dozen tasks to do.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I get you and so do many others. They are all age group and they do not smile and try to wait on you. I asked a older lady where were the back scrubbers and she almost tore my head off. I said well I guess I better try to find the items that I need myself because she was so rude and stuip. If they do not like working someplace why don't they just quit and look for something else no matter what it is. Do something else rather than take your problems out on the customers. I am so sick of them.

15. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is a problem across the borders and in many places, especially massive consumer outlets. There is a put little in, get as much out as you can mentality...and no one wins really. It is no-one's dream to work at Walmart or similar really...they are there to pay the bills and possibly feeling down about a million things.

It is just a huge system error, which training in customer support....and better pay may help with. I just do not expect anything from any of these people any more.

16. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had problems at my local Wal-Mart. Most of the staff seems to be very helpful and friendly. I do live in a town that is not so big though, so I'm not sure if that plays a part at all. Many people I come across that live in larger cities seem to have more rude staff issues compared to people from smaller towns.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Even when the economy was better jobs aren't something that jumps into your lap. And having a steady paycheck is better then trying to figure out where you'll be getting the money to feed your kids. No, they shouldn't be taking their problems out on customers, but then again you responded by calling her stupid so neither one of you acted very well in that encounter.

18. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I was really surprised yesterday with this lady that was extremely helpful. She was about 30ish and african american, not that I'm saying they are rudder but they do always have this face like 'I hate you' lol. Well I was shopping with my kids, there was long lines everywhere and when I finally got up to pay she helped me put all my bags in the cart and even gave me a coupon for the diapers I had. She wasn't even our cashier but one of the other workers assisting the self serve registers.

19. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I never thought of finding an older person to help me. I usually grab whoever I can find. They are so scarce. I swear they are all in a closet hiding together. I can never find anyone when I need them. I guess the next time I need help, I will try to find an older associate to help me out.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are two stores in my area one I stopped going to because the people where so rude, I got tried of leaving the store mad so I stopped going into the store even when I have to go out of my way to get to the other store.