Want a relatively cheap, fun and relaxing vacation? Visit Lithuania!

Discussion in Travel started by Gailius • Sep 19, 2012.

1. Gailius

GailiusNew Member

Threads:
    Lithuania is a country in Northern Europe, the largest of the three Baltic states. It is situated along the southeastern shore of the Baltic Sea, to the east of Sweden and Denmark. It borders Latvia to the north, Belarus to the east and south, Poland to the south, and a Russian exclave (Kaliningrad Oblast) to the southwest. Lithuania has an estimated population of 3.2 million as of 2011, and its capital and largest city is Vilnius. The Lithuanians are a Baltic people, and the official language, Lithuanian, is one of only two living languages (together with Latvian) in the Baltic branch of the Indo-European language family. Since it is situated by the Baltic Sea it has excellent resorts on the coastline. Specifically you should visit Palanga, where decent housing costs you about 30 dollars a night and it comes with a pool, a warm sea and beautiful beach. If you're from Eastern Europe it is probably your best option for a family vacation. The night life is great too, if you're into that.

2. AnnieGreene

AnnieGreeneNew Member

Threads:
    That sounds fantastic! What a great tip! What time of year would you recommend going to Lithuania? Are there any large festivals or celebrations that would be a must-see?

I'd love to hear about more interesting travel destinations in Northern and Eastern/Central Europe. Has anyone been anywhere great (and affordable!) lately?

We really enjoyed Romania. It was a great place to go with children, and was just full of history and culture.

It would be great to somehow get together and start setting up a google map with points of interest and great travel destinations in off-the-beaten-path European countries. Please let me know if anyone is interested on working on this with me!

3. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    You can visit a lot of other places with more culture and history for about the same price. Czech Republic has a lot of wonderful places for dirt cheap and you can even plan a vacation to the Croatian coast and create some of the best memories of your life on a budget.

4. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    wow, thank you for sharing this information. I have never visited Lithuania, but I would like too in the near future.

5. Gailius

GailiusNew Member

Threads:
    AnnieGreene - I would strongly suggest visiting in the summer. There are lots of cultural festivals, especially in August. But the biggest one is held in March (

) and is a really great way to spend a holiday.
    Cornholio - I don't agree that Balkan history is a load better than Lithuanian history. Vilnius ( The Capital of Lithuania ) is enriched with history, and there are a lot of must-see monuments there, especially if you're Christian. There are a load of museums dedicated to the past of the Lithuanian - Polish commonwealth and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Also, as I said,

the Vilnius cathedral is a must visit place if you're christian.