Want a tip? Don't use Paypal.

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Gailius • Sep 22, 2012.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of PayPal, but I have never had any problems with PayPal when buying items online. I think we are missing some part of the story.

2. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Could you elaborate, please? I've been a long-time Paypal user. In fact, I've been using them for five years now, and so far, I haven't had a single problem with them. All transactions go smoothly, and their fees, in my honest opinion, are perfectly reasonable in terms of the services they offer.

3. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    First of all PayPal is probably the most secure way of conducting business transactions online and they have been around much longer than most online payment companies.

Second, I totally disagree with one person who stated, "try and get in contact with Paypal if you need to, you will get the run around and be left in the cold for weeks or months on end."

That's totally untrue because on the PayPal home page, before you log into your account, there is a Contact Us link, that gives the numbers:

1-888-221-1161
    1-402-935-2050 (if calling from outside the U.S.)

Once you log in you are given a temporary passcode that you give the the representative when he or she answers the phone, and usually the wait is not too long.

PayPal is very accessible, been with them for over 10 years, and they have an affiliate program which is great, if you get someone to join PayPal from your blog or website, after they earn so much money (I think it's $200, not sure) you get a small percentage of what they make deposited into your PayPal account.

You can have problems with "chargebacks" but they are not originated from PayPal, a chargeback occurs if you sell a product or service, and your customer decides, weeks or months down the road that the service your provided was not adequate, your customer then contacts their credit card company to reverse the charge. When/if that occurs, an investigation is opened, PayPal gives you a chance to provide documentation, or proof that you provided the service, and they work directly with the credit card company to try to resolve it. If it is determined that the chargeback is legit, the money will come out of your PayPal account.

That's the only drawback with PayPal and the lesson I learned with my one and only chargeback in 10 years with PayPal is to make sure you have in the contract that after 30 or 45 days, absolutely, positively, NO REFUNDS. Then if someone tries to get reimbursed through their credit card company, you have a clear contract that says no refunds.

4. YamiPrem

YamiPremNew Member

Threads:
    I think the OP is just venting his frustration with us. Maybe something illegal went down, who knows...

Welp, the OP does, so explain some more if you want people to take you seriously.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your opinion is biased by your own negative experience with Paypal. I have been using Paypal for years and I have never encountered any problems, neither have family members who use Paypal. I think Paypal is the best service there is.

6. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    While personally I don't like to use Paypal, there isn't much chose otherwise. Paypal is pretty much still the majority share holder when it comes to online Payment Transfers. The good thing however is that many alternatives started to pop up. Even big companies like American Express are starting to challenge them with Serve.

7. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I have also never had any problems with paypal. I only withdraw when I have enough money to avoid fees. I have also made purchases online through paypal with no additional expenses. I quite like paypal as a result of my experiences so far.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I rather pay a small fee than exposing my CC info to some seller I don't know. They also have buyer protection in case something goes wrong with the order. I know the fees are pretty high sometimes (for conversions, for receiving money, etc.) but there aren't many alternatives. Right now I only use PayPal balance for my purchases (from the money I make online).

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have been using Paypal for probably 4 years or more now and never really had any problems with it. I have read some stories from other people on the internet over the years, though, but I have never been able to confirm any of them or at least have gotten enough facts to make their claims have weight (e.g. were they violating TOS?). So, I don't really know what is true other than I myself had never had such problems, and they continue to provide a good service for me, and I don't even know what fees there are because I usually don't even get taxed by Paypal other than when I withdraw under a certain amount to my bank, which isn't even that big of a fee anyway, it's like a dollar.

10. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    As a buyer, Paypal is great. I like the extra protection if there's a problem with an item. I've disputed charges before and gotten my money back. As a seller, I'm not entirely satisfied. I've also invoiced people and been charged a ton in fees.

11. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have been member of Paypal for years. I even sold merchandise on ebay using Paypal. I have never encountered a single problem with Paypal in all those years I have been a member. Yes, there are fees, but name for me any bank or institution that doesn't charge you fees, so why should Paypal be an different.

12. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Essentially stolen hundred of dollars from you? We need more information because that is a serious accusation. What happened?

13. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Really? Wow... I've never had any problems at all with paypal and I've been using it for six or seven years now. Of course, I do a lot more buying than selling, but I've never had a chargeback issue or any issue with my account freezing.

14. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    I have heard from many people that eBay sellers are the vast majority who experience problems with their PayPal accounts. I am not sure about that but I have tried to keep off eBay for fear of the unknown. Just for curiosity purposes, have you sold anything on eBay? If you have any problems with your PayPal, have you used eBay. I want to sample the number of people who have sold through eBay and have had problems on those who have issues with their PayPal and have used a different online store. Maybe it can shed light on some of these issues which may make you have faith in PayPal once more. I trust PayPal because of its low fees, considering the amount of money I incur, it is just negligible so I don't support the idea that it is costly. Additionally, it is accepted by many online merchants all over the world so I am very confident that I would find either a buyer who can access PayPal or a seller who uses PayPal. I somehow don't trust credit cards because the only security I have is the csv which can be stolen any time and I cannot change it manually. PayPal uses cookies, which makes it impossible to access someone's account from a different geographical location since it is unlikely that you also have access to the credit card that was used to verify the PayPal. I love PayPal

15. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had any problems with using Paypal for buying things online. It is in fact the most secure way of payment as far as I know. If you would buy things from international sellers, you might be charged extra, but that's because of the currency converter they use. It's a bit more than what the internet shows (if you do calculations by Google) but it's not a big amount and just minimal in my view. I would never use my visa card unless the online shop I'd be buying from is a big company, like the online shops of the ones in the high street (Marks & Spencer, Matalan, Top Shop, La Senza, Zara, etc.). But if it's ebay or amazon, Paypal is the best way of payment for me, nothing else.

16. blowx3

blowx3New Member

Threads:
    I've had no problem EVER with paypal. So until I do actually have one I will use it because I only use paypal for the website I trust and have used several time. Yet, no money has been taken from me. That is very unfortunate for you but watching what website you shop from can really help you from losing a lot of money. Ebay and amazon I can see why you might not trust them. But for like the actual products from amazon are trustworthy. Ebay I never really trusted but ive never had a problem with the sellers.

17. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    I tried to cancel my account one time, an account I had never used, so I could use my own name and e-mail address to create a new account I could use for work. First, by simply logging in, I alerted Paypal and they locked out my account so I couldn't do anything. I called them and was waiting on the phone for an hour and a half, seriously this long, just for them to say "are you sure you don't want to..." and "is there anything we can do to get you to stay?"

18. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    Thanks for the heads up! I wasn't aware of this, and I was about to order something online with my Paypal since I haven't used it since I got it. I think that I would look into it first because deciding to not order things online with my Paypal card. Ever since I have signed up for Paypal, I have been hearing an obscene amount of negativity about it. I don't want it to be true because I have grown to love Paypal. i work online so it is a convenient and easy way to accumulate my money. Without Paypal, I don't know how I would work online.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had my account blocked before because I purchased something online using a different IP than the one that I registered in, but I was never charged extra for buying stuff. Can you expound further what happened? Although I was given a refund by a seller on Ebay and I was charged a fee, because the seller did it the wrong way. That's the only time that I got charged extra fees as a buyer.

20. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using Paypal for a few years now and I have never had any problems with them. They have never stole from me or locked my account or nothing. Most of my work I do online is paid to me through my Paypal and I would never stop using it. It is very safe to use online in my opinion then a credit or debit card. If anyone tries to charge my account and I didn't agree to it Paypal takes care of it and gets my money back. I love Paypal and recommend it to everybody, Paypal is the best for all of your online purchases, and for getting paid from your online jobs.