Warning: Faked Amazon Orders

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Jessika • Jan 6, 2017.

1. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I just got a warning through about a new scam email, which is apparently harder to detect. As with most scams you get an email and this one looks like it is an Amazon order confirmation.

The catch is that it looks like it comes from a service@Amazon.com or service@Amazon.co.uk email address as the scammers have successfully spoofed the address. They've also cloned the order email, but replaced the links with their own, and they have also cloned the payment page it links to.

If you get an email like this about something you can't remember ordering, don't click on links in it. Instead log into your amazon account seperately and check if there is an order there.

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the warning signal. Most people won't realize the hidden danger and end up clicking on the link. Once you click on the link they can do a lot of things like infecting your computer with a malware / virus or they may even ask your credit or debit card details. I think by clicking on the link you will be forwarded to a cloned site of Amazon and you will be asked to enter your user name and password.

I think your strategy of directly checking the details from the site itself is the best thing we can do. It is true for any links that are being sent through email. We never know in what form these cyber criminals will try to trap us.

3. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you @Jessika@Jessika for making us know about the warning email. I always make sure whether the email is from a trusted source before clicking on the links. Never click the links. They will obtain your ip address and can do something dangerous. It is safe to have an original anti-virus installed on your desktop/laptop. It will never allow us to open untrusted sites. I have an antivirus installed so it always warns me of suspicious links even before I open them. Cybercrime is on the rise these days and the fake emails mostly originate from Nigeria and other African countries. Report and block them on your email so as to avoid receiving further emails from the same address.