Was It Easier For Our Parents?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by Rosyrain • Mar 11, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like my parents have always had a much easier time saving their money than I ever had. We live in such a consumer driven economy now, that is is hard to refrain from making purchases. Also, up until a couple of years ago, it was almost impossible not to be approved for a credit card. I have really struggled with money decisions I made in my 20s and am just starting to see the light at the end of the financial tunnel. Was it easier for past generations to save money?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really think so, we make more money now but items cost more so there is no really any savings there. Rent is higher now and there are more people living with family although they are grown because of the cost of rent and the lower than needed pay scale. I think there are more temptations to spend your money now than when I parents were young.

Women have more clothes now than they did when my mom was a young working lady. Families were able to get along with one car now families need two or more cars if they have kids in the family.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps our parents were just better savers from a young age. In the past, usually only one person worked, when now it seems that the man and woman both have to work just to make ends meet. Now, we also have to have much more stuff in order to function in our lives and this translates to more bills.