Was There A Time That Your Pc Malfunctioned When It Was Turned Off Abruptly?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Apr 14, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the longest time, I thought that the only time that your files will get corrupted to the point that your PC won't boot is when it gets turned off while it is shutting down. I've had instances where I'm using the PC and there was a blackout, and it still booted just fine afterwards. But the other day, the PC hanged, and it was very slow to execute the actions that I want, like the task manager won't show up, closing the webpage takes forever, etc. So what I did was to turn the PC off abruptly and let it boot again. But to my surprise, this time it was asking for a Windows 7 installer, which I don't have. So I bought 2 pirated copies yesterday. It still asks me for a disc, so that means that it might need the exact CD installer that was used in that PC even if it's also pirated. I bought like 5 versions of Windows 7 (Home, Ultimate, Professional, etc.) in 1 CD, so I think the PC had a hard time reading the multi-version discs. So I'd like to ask you if you have also experienced the same thing when your PC got turned off abruptly? What problem did you encounter?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sounds like something more nefarious happened to your machine, or a piece of hardware failed on you. For one, I wouldn't use pirated versions of Windows because that's going to give you trouble every time anyways. A legitimate installer disk is more than likely going to solve your problem.

3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Probably a corrupt OS, or HDD is busted. What most likely happened was: when the power went out, the needle of your HDD froze or was damaged, also damaging the spinning magnetic disks inside.

That's why I always have a UPS on my tower and I also install my OS on an SSD, because it has no moving parts.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a faulty HDD to me. It can hang if the OS HDD suddenly dies while in use, and that would explain why you can't boot up, so I would bet on that.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Yes! That is happening to me right now! My laptop is overheating and it keeps shutting off. It is so annoying! I am looking for new laptops on Amazon right now. The weird thing is that in order to turn it on I have to overheat it so it will start up again. Ugh, HP computers!

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you guys for your input. The error code is 0xc000000f, so now I'm looking for a way to fix this, or I'll just hire a technician or I'll ask my cousin to fix it. The pc wasn't really lagging all the time, but a certain webpage isn't responding, so I got impatient and I turned the transformer off. I do that when a game crashes, so I got unlucky this time. I hope my movies and tv shows can still be recovered after it has been repaired.

7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I have had to manually shut off my computer a few times. I do not think it has anything to do with the performance though because everything is still normal with it. Truth be told, I probably need a new laptop anyway, so I probably take less care of it than I should.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can try looking into laptop cooling pads. Or opening up the laptop and cleaning it, it's most likely that the dust had settles in it over the years and is blocking the airflow.

9. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I'm kind of totally computer illiterate. I've had a laptop of mine 'say' that I needed to reinstall windows. I tried, but didn't know how to do it, I ended up mailing the computer back to Dell, under warranty, and they fixed it for free and mailed it back free of charge. Unfortunately, a lot of the features that were on the computer when I mailed it in were no longer on it when it came back, like skpe, microsoft office, and a lot of other things.

I've had another computer of mine shut off a few times, go to blue screen. I had to take it to a local shop because I didn't want to mess with it and make anything worse than it already was.

Thankfully I was able to get that computer fixed, on 2 separate occasions for the same thing, cutting off and going to blue screen. When I got home, I found that some data was missing. I called them, they told me to bring it back to their shop and they would reinstall any missing data that I need from the old hard drive that they took out. I don't know how they're gonna do that, but hopefully it works.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever my PC or laptop malfunctions, it's not easy for me to pinpoint the cause. It may have something to do with abrupt shutdowns which usually occur either because of power outages or an accidental removal of the power plug. On the one hand, if you keep installing pirated copies your PC's performance may be severely affected. You can defrag your computer and install a tuneup software to improve its performance.

11. Darakath

DarakathMember

Threads:
    I think that it really depends on what you were doing with the computer when it just shut down. If it was hanging and you had to manually pull the plug on it, it probably has a better chance of malfunctioning when you turn it back on. On the other hand, if you just get a blackout while you are surfing, nothing bad would probably happen.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Winnie@Winnie, How much do you usually pay for pc repairs or reformat over there? Over here, the minimum is $12 up.

@xTinx@xTinx, Luckily, the 2 cd's that I bought were functioning now, I just need to adjust the boot menu to boot from the cd 1st instead of the hard drive.

@Darakath@Darakath, That is what I just learned. Never turn your pc off when it's hanging, because it will malfunction and won't boot afterwards!

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    The first time I paid it was like $100, $75. Something like that. The 'computer man' told me it was because it was infected with some type of virus and that's what made the computer go to "the blue screen of death" as they call it.

I was happy to pay it, because everybody I asked (ie people in my life at the time who I would ask to look at the computer), were telling me that I was going to have to get a whole new laptop.

About the 3rd time I brought the computer back, the guy charged me like $40.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is really good advice, the amount of dust which builds up inside the case is phenomenal. It clogs the fans too, making them inefficient. Don't be afraid of opening up your tower or laptop, they are designed to be easily accessible for when people want to upgrade parts. Just make sure you remember which screws go where and you'll be fine.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, recently I've seen quite a few people saying they need a new laptop and planning to buy new one because of random freezes and other problems, or straight up overheating, but they didn't try to clean out the dust. It definitely is easy and saves you a few hundred dollars..

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think that this has caused a problem for most people, at least once. I had an issue with windows updates, and it has happened a few times actually, where once you shut your computer down, it installs the updates. But the updates never actually complete, so you are stuck with a blue screen that states, '2 out of 8 updates installing,' for eight hours. You can't turn your computer off during this time either, which is ridiculous, because I need to sleep and there is no way that I am going to sleep and leaving my computer plugged in over night. So I ended up plugging it out and restarting it, and the next time I tried to login, I was met with the blue screen of death.

Had to wipe everything, and start again.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Isn't that annoying? After a buggy update on Vista where the pc's theme, buttons and fonts looked like it's Windows '98 and you can't change it, I never subscribed to Windows updates again.

Anyway, I was torn between reformatting my pc or repairing it, so I tried the bootrec and bcdboot commands in the hope of making it boot since the disc can't repair it, and I ended up resetting the partition. Now I have another problem, since Windows refuses to make a partition, lol.

18. DreekLass

Threads:

Yes it is very frustrating. Windows updates have been terribly glitchy for years now. Even when I was using my Windows XP computer - prior to getting my Windows 7 laptop - the updates would screw up how the computer worked at times. It is annoying, because I find that if you do not install updates as they come, your computer begins to lag and freeze a lot. They force you to install these annoying updates for a smooth sailing Windows experience.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, From my experience, the pc doesn't lag and freeze a lot when I quit installing the updates. So maybe the lag is happening because there are too many programs running in the background? That's what happened in my case.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    I had initially thought that that was the case too. But after installing the updates - a little balloon pops up and often reminds me that I have updates that are ready to install - and restart the computer, it runs very smoothly, up until more updates need to be installed. I find that the longer I go without installing them, the laggier my entire computer gets, until I install the updates again. It is really annoying.