Was There A Time That Your Pc Malfunctioned When It Was Turned Off Abruptly?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Apr 14, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, If that's the case, then when you decide to reformat your pc, try not to use the updates at all and see what will happen to your pc. I never use updates anymore, they tend to slow down my net connection and it also takes up disk space. Not to mention it screws up my pc when I install them.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They do take up disk space, I've noticed, and they are so frequent too. I feel like I have no other choice but to install them. I ignore the ones that I am not going to use though. The last time that I reformatted my computer, I did not install any updates, and it was barely working at all. It was only after I install all of the updates that my computer began to work smoothly again. It sucks.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I guess that's the difference between using an original disk and a pirated disk? Lol. I use a pirated OS copy and it wasn't dependent on installing the updates to be able to run smoothly.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lmao. My Windows 7 disk is store bought and legitimate. It had no validation problems or anything like that, thank fully. I have enough problems with the legit version,never mind a pirated copy. My sister has a pirated copy, and for all of the hassle that she experiences, she might as well just purchase the real version lol.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Your sis has a pirated copy? Hehe, the only inconvenience that I see is that little balloon that pops up every now and then saying that the Windows OS isn't genuine. And you can't set a wallpaper since it's not genuine, lol. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. How about you and your sis?

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes she is lol. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium? And I think that she has a pirated copy of that. For Christmas, about two years ago, my mother and I purchased her a computer. We didn't know enough about computers to purchase one, so we got my uncle to handle it. He ended up installing a pirated copy of Windows 7 on her computer, and she's been having issues with it ever since. He has come out to repair it a few times, but the problems persist. You can't install Windows software without problems, because during the installations, it pops up that the windows isn't genuine.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I just encounter that pop-up balloon though, no other problems for me. Maybe it depends on the "quality" of the pirated disk? Haha. Why don't you lend her your original copy? How much does an original Windows OS cost by the way? $50?

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I had actually thought that everyone with a pirated copy of Windows experienced these setbacks and glitches. I find that all Microsoft updates are difficult to install on my sister's computer, because before they install, it checks if the Windows copy is genuine, and comes will install or not accordingly. I did have a pirated copy of Windows XP back in the day. But managed to find a fix for it online.

I goodled whether or not one disc could be used to install windows on two different computers, and apparently it is not possible. Otherwise I would have installed my legit copy on her PC. I just know that an original copy of Windows is not cheap lol.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I noticed that pirated disks use the same serial number, since I bought 2 CD's that have all the Windows 7 versions in 1 disc, and both discs have the same serial number for each Windows 7 version. So I think that's how they determine that a certain Windows OS is pirated. Well, I can live without installing any updates, so maybe your sis shouldn't install any, because my pc works fine without it.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It probably has something to do with your hardware. It can be that your hard drive was damaged during the power outage hence some blocks got messed up that might contain the files that Windows needs to run properly. I had the same issue with my PC, power went out and when I turned the computer back on everything was messed up. I would suggest try doing a clean install of the OS since most of the time it fixes everything.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Really?? I have only ever used one disk per computer, and when my sister came to me complaining about her pirated copy of Windows 7, my initial idea was to install my legitimate version of windows on her computer too. But it seemed like there would be measures n place to prevent that, because if one person bought windows and shared it with everyone else, they'd lose money. I googled it anyway, and it came up that you can only install one disk/serial number per computer.

Guess it makes sense that they'd try to deter people from dual disc installs though, because then they lose out on money.

12. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Either HDD is fried or HDD got wiped clean for some reason
    When I started having problems with Windows 7 and tried to do a system recovery; the faulty Toshiba recovery software wiped my system clean and my OS was lost.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @deathbyprayer@deathbyprayer, I messed it up even more by trying out different MS Dos commands that I saw as a "fix" on Google, and now the OS is gone and I can't make a partition. The technician says that the HDD needs replacing but I'd like to get a 2nd opinion. You'll never know it might be fixed, since it still reads the installer disc.

@DreekLass@DreekLass, I guess they have a counter as to how many people use the same serial number, especially when the pirates give one serial number for all of their pirated products.

@AngelicDevilTel@AngelicDevilTel, How do you know if the HDD is fried? That's what the technician says too, but I just can't make a partition. He also can't get a way around it when he tried re-installing Windows 7. He says that there might be some corrupt boot sectors in there already.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hmmm. I never thought about it like that, because I always found myself wondering how they knew if a copy was pirated or not. That is definitely a plausible explanation. But with the discs that I was pirating - It was The Sims 4, by the way - it seems like EA actually put out a pirated version themselves, wherein not all features were accessible. Users ran into a lot of issues, but were soon able to mod them out.

15. kofter128

kofter128New Member

Threads:
    Well I've never really had such problems if my PC turned off unexpectedly. I've had a couple of cases when I would work on a sensitive document - a paper for school, or something important generally, and the power would go out, or the computer would decide it's had enough and restart by itself. Other than that, I've never had problems with all the computers I've owned, not the problems you are describing anyways.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You mean you were trying to burn an original disc and then some features became inaccessible, am I right? Maybe they have some security measures put into place again that can only be accessible to original disc users?

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    No, I downloaded a pirated copy of The Sims 4. It had just come out, and everybody seemed to be talking about it. I hadn't played it for some years, so I thought why not download it and see what all of the fuss is about? So that is what I did. I didn't burn it on a disk at all. I just clicked the exe and it began to run, but there were some glitches. Like when Sims went to use the bathroom, and their private parts became pixelated, the pixelation would follow them around even once they had gotten dressed again.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I know some games are meant to be like that, buggy upon release, so they re-release it. Considering that what you downloaded was a pirated copy, then it is prone to being buggy. I downloaded a Steam Half-Life 2 and it won't run properly on Windows 7. It crashes within 5 seconds after loading the first scene.

19. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you turn off your PC all of a sudden or even turn it off when booting. That can cause some problems but typically nothing major. Sometimes it can eventually lead to hardware failure because of the constant "malfunctions" that occur.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The error that I got was this boot file got corrupt, so I was being asked for an installation CD. But it failed to repair it. Now with me messing it up even further by doing random MS Dos commands that I saw, the OS got wiped out and now I can't make a partition. The technician said that it's a hard drive problem now and the drive probably acquired bad sectors. I will seek out a 2nd opinion regarding this.