Washing Clothes After Buying

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Miaka_M • Apr 6, 2016.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Working in a retail store, you see an abundance of crazy things people do to the clothes there, either by accident or on purpose (I've witness someone pick up a pair of pants and sneeze right into them!) This makes you think why the stores aren't doing anything for infection control, but then again, how would they know every single issue that happens?

Some stores do not recommend washing their jeans because it damages the denim. An age old question is how to keep clothes looking new, feeling new and not fading. I do know people who refuse to wash their clothes even after they purchase them, but what you do you think?

This raises the question: Do you wash your clothes when your purchase them and before wearing them?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes - absolutely always and not just for the reason mentioned either - but sealed packaged items too.

Particularly as - not only are the majority of new clothes loaded with dyes and chemicals - including formaldehyde - that all have the potential to cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction - but more importantly - as there is no way of tracking where or who has handled the materials used to make the clothes prior to them being packaged or any way of knowing who has tried on the clothes before you did - and its a well known fact that - there are quite a number of infectious diseases - especially lice - that can be passed on through material and clothing - its generally advisable to wash anything you buy before wearing or using it

3. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I would never do that because I love the feeling of wearing brand new clothes, I dont really care about anything, I dont that think I am going to die if I dont wash them in the first place, however I could consider doing it someday and see what's the difference within wether washing them or not, I have personally never done it before but I Should give it a shot.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it is true some people mishandle clothes but not to the extent as to expose others to an infection. I rarely wash new clothes unless view are smelly because I am usually anxious and eager to wear them to get a good feel of whether they are worth it. But it would be prudent to wash inner wear because of the intimate contact with the skin.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely wash new clothes too! The only items I wash are undergarments and I don't even wash bras. Now that I think about it, ladies have been trying them on all day. Yuck! No more trying on garments for me! I am just going to buy packaged on Amazon.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My sister always washes clothes she buys before she or her children wear them and I always thought she was mad, but then she said to me that you don't know how many people have tried them on before you and you don't know what they have done to them or what diseases they might have.

7. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    I never wash the clothes I buy straight away, I want to wear them as soon as I can. Most of the clothing I wear comes from online sites so I don't think I have to worry too much about them being covered in germs when I put them on.
    I've never really thought about what you said though, makes me think twice about whether I should wash shop bought items, especially the stuff I buy for my babies.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often wash newly purchased clothing before I wear it. I especially do it for panties, bras and bathing suits. I'll occasionally skip doing so for outerwear, but although I've (thankfully) never seen someone sneeze into a piece of clothing in a store, I just don't trust where people's hands have been, and many people brush by and/or touch clothing as they pass it in a store. I also wash sheets and towels prior to use.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I usually wash new clothes straight away. Only because I once bought a sweater and wore it without washing and found that later on in the day it smelled like bad body odor. I didn't smell it straight away but I realized it was the sweater and not me. I was so disgusted that I threw the sweater away. I spoke with a friend of mine who worked in retail and she told me that they are encouraged to wear the clothes in the store so that is what must have happened. I think a store clerk wore the sweater for the day and they folded it up and put it on the shelf. Needless to say I now wash my clothes when I buy them straight away.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must admit, I don't always do it. Sometimes I'm just so excited to wear my new clothes, i can't be bothered waiting until I've had them washed. That would also mean having to wait until I've ironed them. Sometimes I do wash them, sometimes I don't. But that whole scenario of someone sneezing into a clothing item has really grossed me out LOL

11. kdb890

kdb890New Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's disgusting. I could never imagine that people would do things like that. I do think stores are doing more for sanitary issues though, such as putting germ-x stations around the store. I don't wash my clothes after buying them from retail stores, but I do when buying them from thrift stores like Goodwill or Schoola, because I know places like that usually require the clothes to be washed before you bring them in and so they don't wash them themselves.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't do that, but it would make sense to do however, I think it is a personal preference. I can see both sides of it.I mean even if someone isn't sick, who knows how many times the clothes have been handled, or where they have come from. I have never gotten sick from wearing clothes straight off the rack, so odds are I am not going to. I think people are a bit too concerned about germs in general, a little dirt never hurt anyone! lol, although a virus would be nasty.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's 2nd hand, then yes of course I will because it's already used and you can't be too sure if it was properly cleaned. But if the clothing was brand new then I would just wear it straight from the paper bag, and I will not wash it anymore, especially if it has that "new clothes smell".

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that I rarely wash new clothes as well. The exception to this would be clothes bought from the thrift store. I always make sure that I pick the tag and staples out. Then it goes into the laundry bag for the next washing. I never think about the little things like who else could have tried the clothing on before me if I'm going to a department store.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whether brand new or thrift shop bargain I always wash clothes when I buy them. I wear a camisole too when I try them on too. Pants well I usually don't wear a pant slip, but after your information when I get ready to buy pants I think I'll wear a pant slip too, lol!

16. jackiewbu

jackiewbuNew Member

Threads:
    Yes! I always wash my clothes before wearing them because you never know who could've tried them on before you. They could've had an infection or not showered. Also when you buy things like new jeans the dye and fuzzy stuff from the jeans gets all over other clothes. I had worn new jeans once and had a rubber phone case on my phone. When I put my phone in my back pocket the fuzz got all over the case, and never came out. Thus, ruining my phone case. So now I know I should always wash my clothes first!

17. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    I never wash new clothes before wearing them. There's so many other things to worry about and if you're worrying about germs from other peoples hands on the clothes, then just remember there's 100x as many germs on every single door handle you touch. I also like the smell of new clothes, so I'd rather not get rid of that :p

18. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have gotten into the habit of washing items that I've purchased before wearing them with the exception of hats, scarves and gloves and clothes that require dry cleaning. After I had read in a magazine that for most of the above reasons it is best to do so. To me it is just a matter of taken precautions against allergic reactions, disease, and even cleanliness. Stores can be dirty from all the traffic and can settle on merchandise. You can be sure that no one is going to handle each piece of clothing to make sure there is no dust or dirt on it.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't do it unless it's made of material that I'm not particularly fond of or if I don't think I'll be using those clothes much to show off and instead just for everyday or regular use. If I don't care much about the clothing item or if I just got it for cheap then I would be a lot less careful with it but even then I don't wash them usually right after buying them unless I buy something off of a clearance sale or second hand item shop where I know the item has been handled by so many people. For clothes that I know I will be careful with I would hold off on washing them immediately or even frequently if I can help it because I know there's not much I can do to stop wear and tear from multiple washing trips.

20. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Washing newly purchased clothes is mandatory for me. There are 2 reasons. First is the hygiene particularly with clothing items from the boutique in the mall which was handled by so many people. Washing the clothes takes away the fear of dirt and grime. Second reason is the quality of the item. There are clothes that shrink and when you happen to buy one that shrinks then you can return it before the 7-day period allowed. I have already experienced buying a shirt with large size that shrank to medium after washing. I had to ask for a replacement because medium wouldn't fit me.