Washing Clothes After Buying

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Miaka_M • Apr 6, 2016.

1. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    You posted this question about five minutes before I was going to! I've had this discussion with friends and family and everyone seems to have a different idea on what they do. Because I used to work in retail many years ago, I have seen people do some disgusting things when trying on clothing to see if they want to buy it or not.

For hygiene reasons, and not only because what can happen in the retail store with customers -- but think about where the product is manufactured. You don't know whether the people who were in charge of sewing up your clothing had picked their nose, or washed their hands after going to the rest room. What diseases did they have and what germs did they put on your clothing. UGH! For me, I ALWAYS launder my new clothing before wearing. It's just something that takes about five minutes and can save you from getting sick.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been in the habit of washing brand new clothes after purchasing them. I do not think it's unhygienic especially if you request for a new stock, the one that's not on display. Or maybe I'm just not that meticulous. There has never been a situation where I contracted skin problems or felt itchy after wearing new clothes straight from the store.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I never wash clothes new clothes before I wear the. Probably it's because otherwise from the pants my other clothing items usually comes in a wrapper. I don't buy second-hand clothes so I think the ones I buy would be okay enough to wear right away before washing them.

4. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    Your method may vary, but clothing does not magically end up in a wrapper, and does not magically begin being made by robots. Think! Your clothing is made in a factory. Factories are not clean, shipping is filthy even when items are bagged.

Workers in that factory might not practice the most hygienic way of doing things. They have to touch the sewing machine to make your clothing. They have to touch the cloth that makes your clothing. They have to fold the clothing. If that person has gone to the bathroom and not washed their hands after, all sorts of grimy bacteria (fecal material), and germs can be on their hands. What if that person has a bad cold and sneezes on your fabric. It just doesn't make sense to think your clothing is free from any debris.

Dye and formaldehyde resin is used to prevent mildew growth and give your new clothing a permanent press effect.

Of course, you may think I'm a germaphobe. That's fine, but I'll always launder my new clothing before wearing. It just makes common sense.

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, lice. I completely forgot about that. There is indeed no way of tracking clothing, because it is always handled from different parts of the world. The clothing may look brand new, but we do not know what hidden secrets they have. Especially with many horrid working conditions, there will also be a variety of diseases. If there is an infected area with bed bugs, I would assume that they can also potentially latch on to clothing as well.

You definitely should be washing your bra before actually wearing it. Ladies do indeed try it on and depending on the size of the breasts, there can be some sweating underneath that can be absorbed in the bra that you are trying on. Packaged should be safer I think.

It's always best to be safe than sorry. I've read some of the other replies and someone pointed out that there are germs everywhere, no matter where you go, that is true but if you can avoid infection and disease, then why not do the simple things?