Washing dishes with running water?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Dec 10, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use running water when washing dishes. I don't end up having to wash that much so I don't feel the need to save much water because I'll be done with it in a short time either way anyway. Also I think I'd just choose to save water or resources somewhere else if I felt the need to save water because using running water when washing dishes is just way more convenient.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that I let the warm water run out just for the sake of letting the warm water run out lol. If the water is running then there is always a purpose for it. Sometimes soaking dishes for a couple of minutes does absolutely nothing to soften up the dried food. You have to leave these types of dishes soaking for a longer period of time, or you just boil the kettle and allow the steaming hot water to loosen the dried food up. At least, I don't consider myself to be wasteful with the water, although others may disagree.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think pretty much like you Dreek, I do wash on running water, but let's face it, how hygienic is it to wash the dishes in a sink with foam and water, I've tried that once and all of a sudden everything seemed greasy, so I switched back to the old method, how bad can it be right?

4. bertadee

bertadeeNew Member

Threads:
    I grew up living in a house, meaning we paid for water. From the time I started washing dishes, until the time that I moved out of my mother's house, I washed dishes mostly with the water off. I only did it because I was told that it was saving money. When I went to my father's house or other friends' homes who did not live in houses I would wash dishes with the water still running. Now, in my own apartment I wash dishes while the water is running. It is much more convenient and faster than when the water is off. I have now come accustom to washing the dishes with the water running and haven't washed them any other way for the past 4 years.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I do it both ways. It depends on how many dishes I have to wash, how greasy those dishes are and who is standing there with me--Some people in my family do think it wasteful to run the water as much as I sometimes run it. I usually allow the dishes to soak for a while in very hot sudsy water before I actually wash them, too.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I know that it is somehow of a waste, but I actually prefer washing dishes with running water. I feel like the plates or mugs are not cleaned well when I wash them in a basin full of water.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    My mother purchases the sponges that we'll sometimes use to wash the dishes, and she is always moaning at me about changing them too frequently. But some of them are full of grease, or either black with dirt, and literally I have to either change them in for a new one, or put gloves on in order to touch them. If I have to put gloves on in order to touch them, then they shouldn't be getting used to clean the dishes that we use to eat. But my mother and her boyfriend love to use the same sponge for months on end.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I might cry reading that lol.. I feel tormented, like how dare you say all that when I can't just walk over there and fix this situation!?? lmao. I MIGHT be able to use a sponge, but it would be used for one load (if that) and then in the trash. Once it stops being used the first time, all I can think of is everything that was absorbed into it and all the germies and bacteria that sat in it since doing the dishes and I would literally cry if I had to use it again lol. Don't they have shows for people like me? :p

9. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I refuse to use the dishwasher daily. I rinse the food stuff off with running water. Then I fill my old fashioned plastic dish pan with hot water and Palmolive Ultra-Oxy Plus. I let them soak. I wash, and rinse. I let them dry on the dishwasher racks because I keep the dishwasher open always. As I run the garbage disposal, I pour that dish pan full of water down the drain and I am also running the faucet.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    I'm siting here, almost choking on my own laughter at your reaction hhahaha. Mostly because I completely understand how you feel. There is no word more accurate than tormented. Spot on there lmao!!! People think I am lazy when it comes to cleaning, but I am not. Yes, it's boring sure. But I mostly can't handle the discomfort!!!! I like to feel like germs aren't going to get me when I do clean. So the mop bucket has to go in the shed, and not be left outside, where slugs and other bits of dirt will coat the handle that I have to touch. I'm also expected to use the same duster to polish both upstairs and downstairs. It's black with dirt by the time that I'm done with one room downstairs lol. Anything after that and you are just spreading the bacteria around. That, and I feel tormented whilst holding a duster that is black with dirt without wearing some gloves, which are not always on hand :/

And I had to share my pain with someone lol. We are the normal ones. They should have shows for people who think that it is acceptable to use the same sponge over and over again. I hate touching those sponges. I cannot express that enough!!!!!! Like, once I have finished and it is time to take the gloves off, I am careful not to touch the part of the gloves that touched the sponges. *shudders in disgust*

11. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I'll usually gather all the dishes in the sink, stack them up such that the smallest is right at the top of the pile and then turn on the tap for a while to wet the dishes and let the water cascade down the stack. This would wet all the dishes at one shot and make it easier to soap and scrub them as well. Of course, try to clear off as much food scraps as you can prior to doing this! Once the dishes are wet, I'll turn off the tap and start scrubbing/soaping them. For those with burnt bits of food stuck, I'll soak them before scrubbing with soap. Having running water rain down on stuck food is just a waste of water. Once the soaping is done, I'll turn the tap on to a low flow and rinse off all the soap and food. A low flow may seem inadequate, but if you notice carefully, when the tap is on all the way, most of the water gushes and splashes past your hands anyway, so why not let a small stream concentrate on doing its job? I personally also use cold water on the dishes unless its in winter and my hands are already freezing! That'll save some electricity on heating as well! Makes no difference using cold or hot water in my opinion, though some say that hot water removes grease better.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lmao! I would too! What's the point in using the gloves if you're just going to take them off all willy nilly and get the little monsters all over you anyway? lol. Might as well go to third base with them! This is why I'm a big waster when I clean. Anything reusable grosses me out, so I use paper towel or baby wipes for pretty much everything lol. For floors, I do a TON of spot cleaning.. just do it as it happens so I don't have to be tortured with what to use to mop the whole thing. Thank gawd for the swiffer moppy things. Not a fan, because it's just more waste and it's brandy and dumb, but it does the job in a way a schizo can feel comfortable ;)

Don't get me started on rogue hairs.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use running water to rinse but I keep it turned off while I am lathering up and scrubbing the dishes. The water doesn't have to be running the whole time, just when I'm ready to rinse. I'm the same way when brushing my teeth, I don't keep the water running while I brush, just when I rinse off.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wash the dishes with the running water. I exhaust all the possible ways in which I can save. And I think that I am able to save a lot if I only wash my dishes with running water. I don't think that it would really matter. I consider running water to be safe.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh God no. I don't take the gloves off willy nilly lol. I take them off when I have finished cleaning up, but I am very careful that my actual skin doesn't touch the gloves once they've touched something nasty. And if it does, then I am forced to wash my hands again. It is almost like my hands throb until I wash them. I kind of wish that you had raised me right now lol. You would have understood that the way I clean is more than acceptable lol. I like to clean as I go along too. But that isn't always possible, so mopping the kitchen floor is a given unfortunately. Anything reusable is completely and utterly gross; you are correct!! Ewww!! Gagging at the imagery of the hairs!!!

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Omg.. if I'd raised you we both would have ended up feral, yet super clean orphans lol. I wasn't even able to have children when you were born, stop making me feel old! haha. But yeah, stray hairs, especially when my hands are wet or I'm showering... uuuuuuugh omg aaaaargh.. you'd think someone pooped on me, you'll never see someone flip out so much LOL. So awful. Like seaweed touching my feet, but way more often and way more creepy feeling. And gaggy. UGH!!!!

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lmaooo!!! I apologize. I just know that you are old than me. A girl can dream lol!!! Are you okay with your own hairs?? I'm okay with my own hairs, but if I see a stray hair that I KNOW isn't mine - for a fact - I freak out. It happens when you go in the shower *shudders* Even just in the bathtub, if I know that a hair isn't mine, I'll avoid touching or stepping on it with my feet throughout the entire shower. I don't blame you for flipping out. I do/would too!!!!!

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am NOT ok with my own hairs lmao! So showers are a freak show for me lol.. entertaining for anyone who gets to witness it, a nightmare for me. Far far worse if it's someone else's though, yes lol. And hey, you're still at home, you still have time for me to raise you a little haha. Anyone in my home does things their own way, who am I to make anyone uncomfortable just because I'm older and awesome lol. Respect goes both ways and I promise you'd have a never ending supply of non-reusables and you won't be expected to clean anyone else's ick but your own lol ;)

19. DianeC

DianeCNew Member

Threads:
    I always fill one side of the sink up because I believe in submerging the dishes for a better cleaning. Of course I have done it the other way with one or two dishes to keep everything tidy.

20. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I always put my dishes in water as well Diane because if the dishes aren't like that it's much harder to take the dry food from them, but after that procedure of having them wet, I just wash them on running water, I've always done it like that.