Washing Machine Cleanser

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Nov 17, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use a descaler, but do you run the washing machine to clean it? My parents hate to do it as they think it wastes energy and water, however because they haven't it's got a build up of goodness knows what.

I convinced my father (and just did it) and put it on a long hot wash with white vinegar and some soda crystals. I think older people don't like waste, but in the long run it will save them calling out someone to fix the machine, or to replace it. It's worth the hot wash! It's also good to do of you only ever do quick or cold washes, as hot water needs to flush everything through.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree its false economy not to - in fact its something I make a point of doing regularly - as not only does running your machine on the 90 degree cycle using a bleach based detergent - give it a longer life and therefore save money in the long run - but as it removes the build up of detergent and fabric softener residue - along with any bacteria, mold and mildew that’s very likely in there too - you get a better quality cleaner wash.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do this once every few months. No need for that pre-packaged Dr. Beckmann stuff - good old fashioned vinegar and bicarb of soda works a treat. I've been doing this for more than 10 years now and definitely think it prolongs the life of your appliance.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased a washing machine cleaner product. Heck I didn't even know they existed. Every couple of months my husband will run the washing machine with nothing in it but bleach. He figures this should get rid of any mold and mildew in the machine. I like the idea of using vinegar and baking soda. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be trying. Vinegar is great for cleaning around the house, it's safe for kids and pets.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have purchased a big bottle of vinegar for a dollar and just use that with some baking soda to clean out my washer when it has that wet and moldy smell. I just run it on the clean cycle and it gets it done. I don't want moldy clothes that smell.

6. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I use bleach for the possibility of mold and mildew, but nothing beats vinegar and soda, or even just plain vinegar for the build up of lime and other mineral deposits. It's definitely worth "wasting' a machineful of water once in awhile.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking once a month should do the trick and get it back on track. They have been quite lax in doing it because they say they only use it more for spinning, but still with any water, it still creates limescale and mold and they live in a hard water area.

I don't think it works as well on a quick wash? My reasoning is that a cold wash won't dissolve as effectively, that's why descaler always has to be hot water. I'm happy for someone to confirm this through experience to save me time, and also to tell my parents that it's so. Thanks in advance.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes your right - running a quick wash program as the maintenance wash would achieve absolutely nothing and would in fact be a total waste of time and money - as in order to ensure that all detergent and fabric softener residue along with any mold, bacteria or mildew is completely removed from the inside of the machine - you do need to run a maintenance wash - using a bleach based detergent rather than a descaler - on the hottest wash program possible - preferably one with a temperature of around 90-95 degrees - to get the best results.

However - just in case you find that your parents are still in need of further convincing - hopefully this extra back up will help - as everything you need to know about running a maintenance wash is right here