Washing Meat And Fish

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Alexandoy • Jan 28, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How do you wash fish and meat from the market before cooking? I use a basin for that purpose. First washing removes dirt and second washing cleanses the meat or fish. Washing in running water consumes a lot of water. An added bonus is the water in the basin is a good fertilizer for the garden. I have been doing that rinsing in a basin since a long time ago and I can say that it is a good habit.

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I usually wash three to four times. In a bowl thrice and finally under running water. Sometimes I add turneric powder for the wash.

When I use the water for watering the plants, it gives a stinking effect. So I have stopped the practice.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when our eldest son was washing the fish for the first time. He was asked by her mother to wash (clean) the fish. He did it perfectly. But to his mother's surprise, those fishes got the smell of a laundry soap. He was enough to use the soap to make those fishes clean for they are to stinky. So to get rid of those bad odor of the fish, he washed them with soap.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I wash my meats a few times before cooking it is a good habit everyone here practices, that I know of of course. One day I came across a video that said one shouldn't wash the meat before cooking but wasn't able to watch because my internet was too slow now I'm curious to know what information that video had. I still think washing the meat is the best thing though, to clense it. I have never thought of throwing the after water on the plants either.

5. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    We keep it in mild salt water for some time and then wash it off. It cleans them pretty well. With regarding to washing in running water I think that is a must as it is the best way to get rid of dirt and chemicals if any. Ideally we can do first level washing in a basin and then finally it has to wash in running water too. I use the water for plants which is a very good growth booster, especially fish water. Even though I am a vegetarian I use fish water for plants.

For vegetables/fruits we keep them in a salt and turmeric solution for half an hour and then wash it in clean water. It removes any harmful pesticides from it.