Washing your hair with baking soda

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Oct 21, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Today I read about the apparent benefits of washing your hair with baking soda and using Apple cider vinegar as a conditioner. As I am quiet tired of commercial hair shampoos and conditioners, even those that claim to be made with natural ingredients, I want to give it a try. Obviously, the baking soda paste won't be producing any foam, so it might be a little challenging to get my long hair clean. But I'm sure that's something that I could figure out quickly. I am just curious to see what my hair will feel like after a few of such treatments. What do you think? Will it work?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried this form of "organic treatment" myself. I'm not certain baking soda can be classified as organic. It's often used to wipe off rust maybe that's why some people recommend it as alternative shampoo. They can remove dirt that commercial shampoos may not be able to. That's just conjecture. I do hope pairing it with apple cider won't damage my hair instead. I'm keeping note of everything I've read here just in case I might use it in future.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've often heard about this sort of solution for washing your hair and the testimonies I've heard all spoke wonders of it, supposedly you achieve a more lustrous, shiny hair with greater volume.
    However I've never tried it myself, I'm too afraid that it's all a big hoax and my hair will melt off or something.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It may be harder to get used to how to do this, but it should work. Baking soda is a very gentle abrasive, so it will rub off the dirt and oil. It is also somewhat drying, so if you have an oily scalp, this will be particularly beneficial to you. You probably don't need to scrub all your hair, as the ends of you hair won't be very oily at all. I have long hair and I only shampoo at the scalp and let the suds just run through the rest and my hair is always clean. Vinegar is definitely a great product for your hair because it prevents any minerals in the water from building up on your hair so it is soft and free, not weighted down.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like "natural" ideas like this, but my hair is already so dry that I don't think baking soda would be a good option. It would certainly get your hair squeaky clean, but I wouldn't suggest using it every day. That's just my opinion, and it's based on the reasoning that I think it would dry out your hair. It's certainly your choice, you might want to experiment with it.

I've heard lots of good things about apple cider vinegar, but never heard of using it as conditioner. That's an interesting idea.

6. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I tried this about a year ago. It was nice change, but I'm not sure if I could keep up with it. I'm just far too used to shampooing and conditioning my hair, plus I also have a lot of products that I need to get through. I hate wasting what I purchase.

I "washed" my hair with baking soda. It was sort of strange but you get used to it after a few washes. The website that I used directed me to "massage" it into my scalp. I was then directed to rinse the baking soda out of my hair. The last step involves "rinsing" or "conditioning" the hair with the apple cider vinegar. I will admit that it made my hair soft and shiny, but I could never get used to the smell. It's all personal preference. I did use the rest of the apple cider vinegar as a facial toner. It worked great that way! It helped improve my skin and it helped stop some breakouts.

I would suggest trying it before you dismiss it. I've seen some websites were people have permanently switched to doing this. It's all up to you.