Waste After Christmas Meal - What Will You Do With The Left Overs?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by littlewitch66 • Dec 26, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I went to my sister for Christmas Day. Her son was a chef and did the most enormous spread. Although there were 8 of us around the table and the food was delicious there was so much left over.

My sister says they will use all the food up with various dishes like bubble and squeak and will freeze anything they don't use up. Did you have much waste and what will you do with the left overs?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This year no left overs at all, for my home. Just me though so I made spaghetti just enough for one. Baked up some grands and had cucumber and bell pepper slices with pickled onions. For dessert...Christmas fruitcake, mini chocolate yule log ala mode with kona coffee Haagen-Dazs Ice cream. Nothing elaborate for my home this year for it's just me, since my Mother passed this year, it's only me. Our family's party givers are gone for a few years now so it's been a bit sadder in our family for now.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Oh @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe, I wanted to scoop you up and tell you to come over to us for Christmas dinner when I read that although after a stressful day with my family perhaps I should have come and joined you instead! I do know people who prefer to be on their own on Christmas Day and I can see the appeal. It's such a lot of fuss and expense for one day. I hope you weren't too lonely.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    There's no waste in my case, as we organize ourselves in distributing the leftovers in order that each family takes a portion that can eat, and will not be wasted. It's pretty cool actually because in the next couple of days after Christmas I don't need to cook haha. :)

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We just prepare enough foods for Christmas to avoid left-overs for we had experienced that the left-over foods are to many and they hadn't been reused or recycled so it was a waste of money then. So we learned from such experience. Now New Year's is coming. We are going to prepare for our midnight supper. This time it would be practical to prepare much food and left-overs would be brought by us for another family outing to the beach. This time we could save of preparing another set of foods to bring along with us. It is our tradition among our family to go outing for a bonding. That is the time that my family members are reunited for they are away from us due to their jobs and they live away from us too.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)How nice of you, but don't you worry, for I got nice neighbors where I live. My life is full with enjoying Christmas too. We have spring cleaning to do, getting ready for New Years spring cleaning which I start the 2nd wk in Dec. I got to go bakery hopping for gingerbread man cookies. I was watching Christmas movies on Hallmark so I got my decorations up early. I found the best gingerbread cookies that I love which is a bit pricey, but I love it! I can cook what I want, go where I want and being an only child I'm accustomed to being alone. Got tv to watch. Though I wish I could have a pet like a cat, but we can't have pets where we live. I spent it with memories of Christmas past remembering when we were all together. I'm thinking of joining a Senior,s Club soon. You know when you get to my age where everyone's in heaven you go to church and bring flowers. Thank you so much! Blessed New Years! Enjoy your family.

7. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    We had a little left over which we shared it with our neighbours around. My mother made a lot of dishes and even tried some new dishes especially for desserts. We had great fun this year and it was quite memorable too. I hope everyone had a great time too. :)

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    It is so nice to read about such a positive attitude especially even after being all by yourself on the Christmas day. I know some people who live by themselves and are quite prone to depression around festival season. But seeing that you have such a full and busy life, many can learn a lesson or two from you. I wish I could invite you in my home or join you instead for some time! Have a very lovely new year and stay happy and cheerful!

9. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    It's a common thing to have huge food leftover after Christmas because you are definitely going to be cooking for family and friends whom I believe can never finish the food. I have had such experience on several occasions, but what I normally do is take food to the less privileged within my environment because they have less to eat and such food means a lot to them.

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Leftovers are non-existent in our household. We only prepare what we can consume for the day and it's not too difficult to make an estimate. On Christmas day itself, we joined a get-together with my siblings and their families and there were just 11 of us in all. We are all big eaters, though, and it was like anything being served on the table will be eaten heartily by everyone so there's not a chance there would be some leftover food. There are four male teenagers in the family and they have big appetites. We purposely cooked extra food so we won't have to bother with cooking the following day and we had to set them aside or they'll be eaten, too.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)You know some people need to be with others during the holidays, so maybe a club to join can help. Usually clubs has something brewing for the holidays, so people with enjoy with each other the season. When you get older, people pass, and you may find you're alone. There are community celebrations too if the person wants go dress up and go out like a block party or a get together in the community, for people of certain age. A quick search in your city can bring up many community events for the season. As for me, I'm okay alone, I got my laptop and tv, a bit of shopping to get myself a few delicious items to cook or warm up...I got a store that sells plate lunches so if I get lazy I buy me up a plate and enjoy...Fri. is fresh corn beef and cabbage to enjoy! Thank you so much for your kindness and have a very blessed New Years!

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Indeed, this happens to most of us. We celebrated Christmas in my sister-in-law’s because it was her birthday. We were given some of the leftover and ironically, I was even the one declining when we were given more. The food we brought home served as our meals for December 26, 27 and 28. That means we did not spend a cent for those 3 days because we were eating Christmas leftovers.

13. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Not just the Christmas meal we save all left overs throughout the year. What is a fridge for if not to preserve left overs and eat them as and when one wants to?

14. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    That's great, I actually envy those of who get to spend more time with family and friends this year Christmas, I wasn't that fortunate this season. I practically celebrated my Christmas all alone by myself and will still do the same new year because I'm home alone. My family traveled with me left behind to take charge of the family business.

15. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter you are very funny, but you are certainly right, it's not only in christmas that we have food leftovers. But I definitely believe the message being passed across here is that the leftovers seems to be much during Christmas seasons compared to other days. Definitely it's what the refrigerator is meant for, to help preserve the food and not let it spoil.

16. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    My family does not like to waste food. My mother always cook what we can all finish on Christmas eve. But if there are leftovers, we just eat it for lunch or dinner the next day. Food wasting is a big no in our family.

17. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Use them as pizza toppings. Leftovers always make good pizza toppings. There is a recipe you can search on YouTube known as frittata. That recipe can give you ideas on what to do with leftovers.

Leftover desserts can be mixed with milk shakes. I love Pumpkin pie milk shakes after thanksgiving.

18. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    There was no leftovers last Christmas. The food was just enough for my family and we also shared some with my neighbor and visitors too.

And even if we had leftovers, I doubt if it would be much. It also wouldn't last four hours since I have young siblings who love eating.

19. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, I will give you that kids loves to eat gosh, sometimes I do wonder where all they are consuming is entering. Is it just inside that their small stomach? I do have little cousins as well, whenever they visit, our food pot always confess it saw something bigger than it expected. But anyways I enjoy watching them eat, it gives me joy seeing kids that eat well.

20. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We ended up going over to my daughter’s house for Christmas this year, and she made just about the right amount. There were some leftovers; but not a whole lot, and she shared them with us.
    I had planned to roast a chicken for our Christmas meal, so I still had that in the refrigerator and I cooked that last week with some sweet potatoes and veggies, and the left over was perfect for a single-dish chicken rice dinner.
    We really enjoy both chicken and turkey, as well as ham occasionally; so leftovers from any kind of meal are always put to good use. One of our favorites for either chicken or pork is to make a pot pie with the leftovers and some frozen veggies. A packet of mixed frozen veggies or just peas and carrots, a roll or tow of the refrigerated biscuits for the pastry crust, some leftover meat, and a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top, and it is a quick and easy meal.