Waste Of Food Due To Rotten Egg

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • May 8, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had wanted fried egg this morning so I got the non-stick pan. When I cracked the egg, I already noticed the bad odor but I continued in dropping the egg on the pan. It was terrible odor, obviously the egg was rotten. And it dawned on me the advice of one chef in the food channel. When using eggs in the kitchen, always crack the egg in a cup. That way, you can inspect the egg for the odor and freshness of the look. And when something is wrong then you can throw what’s inside the cup. I can imagine the big waste if I had an omelet this morning. The corned beef, cucumber, tomatoes, and cheese bits would all be wasted because of that rotten egg. So next time, don’t forget to crack the egg in a cup.

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    You are right @Alexandoy@Alexandoy and this is something that I rarely think about. Of course, an egg may be fresh but still have something wrong with it. It is always best to smell the egg before using it. I do give the egg a little sniff when I crack it though, that is before I open it up. cracking it open in a cup is a much better idea.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have had this experience once and since then I been cracking my eggs in a different container besides I always have them scrambled and its easier doing it in a separate plate. When I had this bad experience I was actually making an omlet and like you mentioned I obviously had to throw all I was going to make the omlet with, what a waste.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I must take note of this advice to crack the egg in a separate container. I have not experienced a rotten egg situation since probably more that thirty years ago, so meeting up on one was never in my thoughts. The eggs I purchase at the supermarket and store in my refrigerator have always stayed fresh until time for use. I am aware, however, that at anytime I could find a spoilt egg in my supply, therefore, in order to minimize any wastage, I will from now on open the egg in a separate container.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I did this mistake while making cake batter, once. The ingredients as well as my energy of mixing the batter got wasted in a single crack.
    I'm now careful not to repeat this mistake, especially during summer when the chances of eggs getting rotten is higher. It takes some effort to crack and check every egg, but it could prevent a disaster to occur afterwards. .

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It was a terrible experience I had yesterday trying to have a meal of omelet using the egg I bought the previous day. After the preparation the taste wasn't exactly same as expected I was worried until I realized the problem was from the egg. It was on the verge of getting totally bad which I didn't notice earlier. The problem, it's hard to tell the state of an egg at grocery by mere looking.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I always do when I want to cook egg, I break them on the side of the bowl, since I always cook scrambled eggs, so I haven't made the same mistake that you did yet.

@tonyb@tonyb, My dad told me that eggs only have a 2-week shelf life before they go bad, so you should always pay attention to the expiration date on the egg carton.