Watching Movies at Cinemas

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by vida_llevares • Dec 22, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Now that DVDs and internet downloads are becoming more and more affordable, available and accessible, do you think there is still value in going to the cinemas to watch movies?

2. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I think it is not so much as value anymore. I know most people go just because they are bored and want something to do. For me to go to the movies, it has to be something that I really want to see. If I see a preview and I am like, "Oh that seems like it is going to be good," I know I can wait until it comes on DVD or someone releases a bootleg copy on one of the Movie streaming sites. The quality may not be as good watching before the DVD comes out, but what if I do not like the movie and I paid to get in the movies, then if I want a snack. I would be mad. So if I am bored or if I am dying to see a movie, I will go. Other than that, I will wait. I do think eventually with Technology, Movie Theaters are going to start becoming more scarce.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, that depends. Do you want to see the movie on a big screen, with good audio, and not having to wait 6 months for a domestic release? Sure, go to the cinema. But if you don't care about the movie as much.. then DVD/Bluray/internet rent is a valid option.

I myself don't watch that many movies, so I very rarely go to cinema. But yeah, if a movie that I really want to see comes out, I'll go, because I don't like the wait between theatrical and domestic releases. :)

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with your statement and answered your question. Today, the cinema has become a space where films enhance the collective sense of cinema. The comforts of home are undeniable, but there is still magic that only cinema can offer. There is a reality: the cost of tickets is increasingly high, but it's a worthwhile investment. I enjoy both options. The DVDs give me the possibility to form my own collection of movies but the movies on the big screen have a particular charm that doesn't dissipate with time.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Precisely!

I haven't been to the movies in quite a long time, but that's because I was lucky enough to get my own tablet, and download my movies online. Now that BluRays and Smart TVs are so popular, I get why most people don't want to waste their money on a movie ticket.

6. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always someone who is going to go to the theater. It is just one of my favorite activities to do. I might limit how often or deliberately go on a a cheap day, but it is always something I find value in doing. Being a part of the Scene program and winning tickets online certainly helps as well.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, well. I still went to see Prometheus, because I really wanted to see it without waiting half a year for a home release.. and I wanted to go to see Dredd, except no one picked it up for distribution here. And then they whine that their movie was a bomb, figure that out... :|

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if you want to be completely immersed in the film and as long as the crowd in the cinema is behaved, then I think that it wont hurt going to the cinema like at least twice a year, but it's really not necessary. As for me, since I can easily download or watch movies online then I'd rather spend my money on other things than going to the cinema.

9. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    There is something about going out to see a movie at the theater that watching on a tablet, computer or television just can't compare to. The dark room, the big screen, the popcorn and fountain soda; even the presence of the other movie goers makes it more dramatic and enjoyable. I think for me it's a nostalgic thing that brings me back to when I was a kid.

10. jaindar343

jaindar343New Member

Threads:
    If you watching movies at cinemas even the movie goers makes it more dramas and enjoyable.

11. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, but only if the cinemas were cheaper than they are. I mean, up here we have to spend $15 plus tax and an entertainment tax to catch a film, unless you go to an old cinema, which we usually do because they cost $5 on Tuesdays and $7.50 throughout the week.

With that being said, sometimes the cinemas are just too unbearable. I remember last Christmas when my wife and I saw "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy." We had to endure 30 minutes of commercials non-stop! It was terrible I tells yas, terrible!

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there's still some value in going to the movie theater. I always liked watching a movie in a group setting. I also love seeing a movie on a big screen. The cost is just crazy though.

13. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. Going to the movies and being completely engulfed in it can be fun. You can go alone or with a group of friends (and after, you can all talk about it and share your thoughts). I think that there's a big difference between watching a movie at home and watching it in a theatre. Unless you have your own in-home theatre, you miss out on the crazy surround sound, the huge screen that totally takes over for the duration of the movie, eating some popcorn and drinking some soda, and being part of a collectively group that laughs, gasps, or cries at the same time. But, I agree with Parkers - the price is just overwhelming now. To get the same experience, you should either find deals (matinee showings, etc.) or go to a small movie theatre that gets releases late, but have low ticket prices because of that reason.

14. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I don't thinking going to the theatre is the best value, but it can be worth it sometimes. If you're in any sort of fandom, going to a midnight premiere with a bunch of like-minded people can be an amazing experience. I think it's highly worth it in that case, but otherwise I'll pretty much always wait until I can see the movie for cheaper.

15. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    When I was growing up going to the movies was a real event. Especially when I was like 18. Now that I am 28, it's like no big deal really. Cinemas feel it too. They don't go through the trouble anymore for their customers when it comes to keeping the place looking great or giving away extras. People still go to the movies, but mostly older people who aren't internet savvy. And don't know how to work Amazon's downloads or anything else. I only go to the movies these days for major releases. Anything else? No.

16. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    NO!!
    I just went the other night. I never ever go to the movies. But I REALLY wanted to see Les Mis, so I brought my daughter. It cost $10.50/ each, so over $20. We didn't even get any snacks, but they are outrageous. For $20 we could do so much more! BUT-- I really wanted to see this particular movie, and we had fun.
    I just don't see why they cost so much.

17. WitchyPop

WitchyPopMember

Threads:
    I love going to the cinema but am choosy what movies are worth paying the money for or what ones I'm happy to wait till they're released on DVD. I'd rather visit an independent theater too where there will be less people and the surroundings are more plush except we have to travel further but it's something to do on a Saturday night!

18. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I still think there's something in the actual experience of going to the cinema, for the right movie. The prices are getting ridiculous, though.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really. I lived by a movie theater for a while and could literally walk right over to it whenever I felt like it. I went a few times, but really didn't care for it any more. The seats are cramped, the refreshments are way overpriced, and the image quality on the screen is pretty poor when compared to my big screen TV. I would much rather be comfortable in my pajamas, with a cocktail or two and enjoy a movie from the comfort of my own home.

20. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I went to the movies a couple days ago with some friends to watch Django Unchained. It had been so long since I had been to the movies that I realized how annoying some things can be. I couldn't stand the billion trailers they show you before the movie starts (some of which completely spoiled the movie they were advertising) and how hard it can be to get good seats. We were so close to the screen that my neck hurt for the next day.

On the bright side, though, the movie was amazing. I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino's work but I do like most of his movies. This one wasn't an exception!