Waxing or shaving?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Mar 19, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hair removal is big business. From professional saloons that offer everything from eyebrow waxing to a full Brazilian, to all kinds of home waxing kits and depilatory creams. Not to mention the selection of shavers, from 2 blades to 5 blades, extra lubrication and moisturiser, ergonomic styles for ladies and so on. I can't believe how big, bright and ridiculous some of those plastic shavers look. And how much they cost!
    What are your thoughts on the matter?

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Waxing is much better as you get everything removed. Even though it takes more time and sometimes painful, it gets the job done perfectly. As for shaving, it is an alternative but you will have to keep it constant in order to achieve a smooth shave. I think shaving can be an alternative for waxing if you do not want to go through all the trouble.

3. katykate

katykateNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer waxing. When you wax your legs the first time, surely it will hurt. However it's not as painful when you tried it the second time. Also when you wax, you take out the hair from the root therefore the hair grows much slower, instead of just shaving the top of with a razor and see the hair grow back within 48hrs. So I suggest that if you can stand the pain, and do not get heat rashes, then choose waxing for it has better results.

I'm currently using Veet wax strips, it is undoubtedly the best and very easy to use. I also suggest Veet hair removal cream that comes with a spatula (bladeless and razor-like) that scoops out the hair after you apply the cream, it doesn't hurt and there is a minimal chance of in-grown hair when you follow the procedures, but like shaving, the hair grows back quickly.

4. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I also prefer waxing, especially for my eyebrows. I find it less painful to have one or two strips of wax ripped off, then plucking individual hairs. I have sensitive skin and shaving tends to irritate more than waxing does.

5. FrugalFranny

FrugalFrannyNew Member

Threads:
    Hey ya'll! Wow, I really do wish I could wax like y'all, but wax strips (bought from a CVS or Walgreens) don't work on my legs or eyebrows. I tried Veet & Nair before. I HATE the smells of the products. The strips did work on my husband's legs, nicely. Maybe, the stubble on my legs are not long enough? Trust me when I say that I did wait a long enough time before trying to wax them, meaning Chewbacca status! I didn't have to wait too long either though, afterall I am a Latina & we're known for being pretty hairy (just kiddin'!) I was so jealous when it worked on the hubby! I didn't even ask him to do it. He was just curious why it wasn't working on my legs & decided to put a strip on himself & low & behold, smooth as a baby bottom strip of bare skin in the middle of his hairy freakin legs! How do you get the courage to go trough with letting a stranger do it for you? Especially the bikini area? I am in no way immature, it's just I don't think I'd feel comfortable someone looking at my cookie! Shaving keeps giving me nasty ingrown hairs and I'm sick of it!

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use wax on my legs, but I can't stand the pain on my armpits, so I shave there. I think hair removal costs way too much if you do it in a salon or with a professional! I have been meaning to use laser removal at least for my armpits, but it's pretty expensive!! I'm looking to do that still this year, because I think shaving is too damaging to the skin, and that area in particular is too sensitive.