Ways To Prevent Impulse Buys

Discussion in Misc & Others started by prose • Nov 8, 2015.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    It may be tempting to see a good deal on an item and add it to your grocery cart or basket. However, when you see a good deal, are you buying it because you need it or just because it is on sale?

My husband definitely gives in to impulse buys more than I do, although I am tempted to stock up on things when I see a good deal, as well. However, I have found that it makes our grocery bill get out of hand, by the time we add all of the extra 'good deals' that were not originally on our list. Here are some ways that I try to reduce our impulse buying:

• I have a mental 'stock up price' for the grocery items I purchase the most. If there is a deal in which I can get an item I need below this price, I will give myself permission to consider stocking up on it. If the item is not below this price, I do not usually buy it.
    • When I see a good deal on an item that is close to my 'stock up price,' I try to remember how many of the same item I already have at home, and decide whether I really need more. For example, barbecue sauce may be on sale for .88 cents, however I may already have 8 bottles in my cupboard.
    • Before I check out, I review the items in my cart or basket. I ask myself, 'Do I really need this?' 'When am I planning on using this?' Asking myself these questions usually results in a couple items removed from my cart before checking out.
    How do you prevent impulse buys?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ignoring impulse buys when you have the extra cash can be extremely hard LOL I used to fail miserably at ignoring them, and would always cave in. But now that I'm a bit stretched for money, all I do is draw a shopping list and stick rigidly to it because I honestly can't afford to deviate from it. I have to account for every single penny, and like you, I always ask myself, do I really need this? If it's a 'want' and not a 'need', it goes back on the shelf.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, you must learn to separate your needs from your wants so as not to spend beyond your means. Set your priorities straight as far as spending is concerned. Know when and when not to dish out money. If you intend to buy a "want," then save up for it. Allot a budget for that want and don't buy it out of impulse.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you know the prices of items you regularly buy, you can use this to your advantage. But you must shop strictly with cash. Take with you only the amount of money you intend to spend. Have your shopping list with you so you don't forget something and decide to buy something which you shouldn't buy. That's how I killed impulse purchases.

You won't buy something you like if you don't have any money left once you've bought only the stuff you need.

5. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I plan a weekly menu and shop to complete those menu items. It helps me to avoid impulse buying and over spending because if I'm not going to eat it, within a week or so, there is no point in buying it. Having a really small kitchen helps. I don't allow my cupboards or freezer or fridge to become over crowded even if I could save money on something I might eat in two weeks I know I won't schedule it into my menu plan and it will go to waste. I also prepare my shopping list by the layout of the store so I don't waste time or stop to look at things I just don't need.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Impossible to stop impulse buying. I went to Walmart and saw cupcakes for just 1.00 and I bought it! Impulse buying is sometimes necessary to get what you need when it's suddenly on sale or an in-store special. I like impulse buying because it's things that usually that you need or want and when it's such a good price why not get it?

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry but I admit to impulse buying. Sometimes I can control myself but most of the times, I do impulse buying when I see some items that I really love. That is the ill effect of the credit card, buying is not a problem like when I had no credit card and my cash is supposed to be budgeted. Even when we are abroad, just like last week when we were in Hongkong, I bought a leather bag that was on sale at buy 1 take 1 free.

8. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I am also always tempted to go impulse buying and shopping in excess, especially if there is a sale, discounts or some promos going on that are really difficult to pass up on. I always have a budget when going out to buy and shop things and groceries but there those times that I forget the budget and buy excessively. Sometimes to prevent it, I bring just enough money for fare and buying budget so that I will be forced to stick to the budget, since in the past I have been brining extra money just as a backup if I overspend. Sometimes I also bring someone with me, like one of my siblings or a friend of mine, to remind of what are the things to buy and to tell me that what I am shopping is enough and there is always a next time for those good deals and offers.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This could also help anyone who goes shopping without a price a list or shops with a price list but at times gets tempted to buy something they see. After you pick up an item before putting it in the basket take 10 seconds to figure out why you're buying it. Ask yourself why you are buying it. The answers will help you make a wise decision.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think some amount of impulsiveness is actually healthy, and that it's more just an excess of the behavior that causes problems instead of the behavior itself that is the problem. I think impulsive decisions can prove to be beneficial and personally I think it provides a bit more fun since overthinking everything can get a bit tiring and stressful. Personally, I just found some tactics to match my own personality and I found a few ways to go around my impulsive purchasing behavior as well as turning it into an advantage on certain occasions. If I see something that I know I'll probably never come across again, whether it be an exceptionally grand sale or just an item that I know could be a little rare, then I'll indulge myself and buy it especially if it's not that expensive. This then gives me enough of a fix that I wouldn't feel too bad the next time I find myself overthinking a purchase, since I've already given myself a small prize prior to it. I understand this won't work with everyone though, but it does for me.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Impulse buying can easily be prevented by simply bringing enough cash with you so that you have no other choice but to pass up on that item because you can't buy it. Also try to make an effort not to pass by the stores that you are "susceptible" to, like the clothes or shoes section so that you won't get tempted to spend more than your means.

12. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    Like one of the previous replies mentioned, just leave your cash/cards at home. If I know I shouldn't be spending money or I'm trying to save up for something, I just carry the money I absolutely need. Otherwise, I will just spend it on whatever deal I find. It's an easy way and you will feel really good about yourself for avoiding unnecessary spending.

13. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    One way to avoid impulse buying is by avoiding the situation that causes it. For instance, at the first of the month, it might be wise to put your money on gas and food cards. That way you don't have cash around to blow on needless entertainment or impulse buys.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think avoiding looking for promotions at all times is a great way to prevent impulsive shopping (mainly in shopping centers). Naturally, I don't usually spend money on these kinds of buy (I only buy what I really need at the moment), so... This technique helps a lot. :)

15. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife’s sister had a sad experience with her credit. She had bought much that she couldn’t afford which led to a hefty penalty on unpaid arrears in the credit card. And that’s all because of impulse buying. That served as a neat lesson to us that’s why even if my wife is an impulse buyer sometimes, she makes sure that she can pay the purchases on time. Piling up credit card purchases may lead to a financial disaster and that’s all because of impulse buying.