Ways To Save On College Tuition

Discussion in Misc & Others started by prose • Feb 6, 2016.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    When I was 14 years old, my dad sat me down for a talk. What I did not know at the time was that this talk was going to change my life forever by motivating me to be successful on my own. My dad was and still is a factory worker. He and my mother never went to college. Although I am sure they would have loved to pay for my college education, they were unable to pay their own bills at the time, let alone take on any more debt. What my father told me was this: 'If you ever want to get a car one day or go to college, you're going to have to work for it. I can't give you a car to drive like your friends, and I can't pay for you to go to college. If you want to have these things in your life, you're going to have to get a job and you are going to have to work hard.'

Challenge accepted! I started working when I was 14 years old, and I saved up enough money to buy my own car and begin saving for college. I worked a part time job while going to high school, and was also actively involved in clubs, community service opportunities, and athletics. I also tried to get into the most AP classes I could get into in my high school career, so that I would be able to earn college credit as a high school student. I managed to graduate with a bachelor's degree from one of the top public universities in my state, debt free. That's right, zero debt.

How did I do it? Here are some tips on how to save money on your college tuition:
    • Attend a local community college. Community colleges offer tuition rates that are the fraction of the cost of larger colleges and universities. Community colleges often offer transfer programs to larger 4-year universities and colleges for bachelor degree programs. Make sure that the classes you take at a community college will transfer to your 4-year college of choice before registering for them.
    • Get good grades! Many types of scholarships are available, but the donors of these scholarships want to make sure that their money is going to someone who takes their education seriously. Try your best to earn the best grades you can in all classes you take. This requires going to class, participating in class, and studying on your own outside of class.
    • Apply for all of the scholarships that you may qualify for. Most colleges and universities have a financial aid office and website, and usually scholarship information and applications are on their websites. Pay attention to deadlines for these scholarships, and get all of the required materials for application in on time. Also, search online for national, state, and local organizations who offer scholarships. Some scholarships require letters of recommendation, transcripts, and personal essays. Take the time to do a great job on your scholarship applications. A little time and effort can go a long way, and save you thousands of dollars!
    • Apply for financial aid, before the financial aid deadline. Most colleges and universities give preference to students who turn in their FASSA (application for financial aid) by a certain date. Usually this date is on or around March 1st. Your income tax return should be filed before or around the time you complete your FAFSA. If you miss the deadline, apply for financial aid anyways, because you never know if you will qualify to receive free money for college unless you try.
    • Apply for work-study. Many colleges and universities offer work-study programs, by offering jobs on campus to their students. For example, my brother worked on campus in the campus library, and my husband worked as a set designer for the university's theater department. Food service and office jobs are also usually available for work-study students. Not only is this a source of income, but you will also get to know other students and professors better this way. Making connections is an important factor in earning scholarships and getting a job after graduation! Usually in order to qualify for work-study, you need to submit your FAFSA (financial aid application).
    • Have a part time or full time job. I worked my way through college by waiting tables as a server at a nearby restaurant. This job allowed me to live on my own and go to college full time, because of the flexible scheduling available. It also enabled me to meet friends who attended the same university, who I would have never met had I not worked there! My husband also worked through college, sometimes working two or three part time jobs while attending college classes full tine. Find a job that is willing to work around your college class schedule. Try to work on days that you do not have class, so that you can focus on your studies on the days that you do have class.
    • If you must take out a loan, try to get a subsidized student loan. The government will pay the interest while you are still in school. Try to pay off the loan before or shortly after you graduate, so that interest does not begin to accumulate!
    • Only take classes that are necessary for your degree of study, and do your best in those classes. Sure, a basketball class sounds like fun, but is it worth the couple of extra thousand dollars to you? Also, do your best in each class, because if you fail a class necessary for your degree, you will end up having to take it again, which means more money spent and a waste of your time. Also, your GPA can affect your financial aid.
    • Skip the expensive Spring break trip. Plan something fun to do over Spring Break that will not cost you thousands instead.
    These are all ways I managed to save money on my college tuition, and graduate with a bachelor's degree debt-free. What are some other ways you could save on college tuition?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some families in the Philippines are also making plans for the college studies of their children. After the scams became prevalent in the pre-education plans by insurance companies, parents are now wiser and are making their own measures to save money. The basic approach is to avoid borrowing money for that purpose. It is a common practice by parents to tutor their children in high school to achieve honors because a graduating honor student is qualified for scholarship - free tuition or subsidized tuition fee.

3. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Amazing guide, just filled with important and great tips on how someone could graduate college debt-free just like you. It's good to know that there are still kids out there who give importance to education because it seems like nowadays, college students are always looking inventing stuff, setting up businesses, etc. because they believe that discovering the next big thing is the way to success, which may be true. However, I commend you for taking on a road less traveled.

4. Kenya Swan

Kenya SwanMember

Threads:
    I love your tips on saving money on college tuition. I wish I had these tips went I decided to go to college. I am still trying to pay off my student loans. I have a son that is a Sophomore in high school. We are already looking at scholarships that he can apply for. I recently learned about an app for your cell phone called Scholly. It costs $1.99 but it is filled with hundreds of scholarships that students can apply for based on their interests and grades.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You've many useful information about going to college. There is one other site I found when I returned to college to up grade myself and it was fastweb.com to look for scholarships. There are discounts for college students as well that helps you save money too like

, discounts on bus fares

we had a student bus pass we could purchase on campus that's was a real money saver here in Honolulu. I thought I'd add to your list for helping college students.

#5Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    One might save money by going to another nation. For instance, in another industry, the medical field, there exists treatments that are far cheaper in India than in a western nation. Therefore, some westerners travel to India to save money, and maybe even their life.

Anyhow, I don't think all gifted Indian professors have left for the west so a westerner might get a good deal by flying to New Delhi for study. I don't think there would be a language barrier because the educated people speak English.

#6Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017