Ways To Save On Hair Cuts

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by prose • Oct 29, 2015.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    The most frugal method of saving money on hair cuts is probably to do it yourself, or if you are fortunate enough to know a talented and willing individual, have a friend or family member cut your hair for you. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone talented in hair to do it for me, and I do not trust my own abilities when it comes to styling hair.

For this reason, my husband and I usually go to the locally-owned family beauty salon for our hair cuts, and sometimes I will get my eyebrows shaped. I always check their website before we go for coupons. We have also been to Great Clips before, which offers coupons and specials regularly as well. I save money by not getting my hair cut too often, only a 2-3 times per year. I have even done programs for salons collecting hair for wigs for cancer patients when they will offer free hair cuts for those who donate their hair. My husband's hair starts to get crazy-looking without a haircut, and his job requires him to look professional, therefore he gets a hair cut more often.

I am always looking for ways to cut down on the expense of hair cuts! Any tips or ideas that you have used? Have you had success sitting your own hair? Where do you get your hair cut?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Beauty schools are usually the best places to get hair cuts if you can find one. Great Clips has specials which I a sure ou know about that give you haircuts for 5.00. My hair gets really crazy looking and unmanageable if I don; have a hair cut and I have needed one since September..Oh well..maybe soon!

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    You have to be careful when you look for cheap hair cuts. I once got a coupon for First Choice haircutters and brought my sons for their back to school hair cuts. One of my sons walked out looking ok but my other son had his bangs so crooked I had to go to a barber and have it fixed. I know I could have gone back there but I really doubted the abilities of the hair cutters in this salon. So instead of saving money I ended up spending more. Lesson learned. It is a real talent to cut hair and now I will only take my boys to a barber shop and pay the extra money to get a good hair cut.

4. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    Being faithful to one barber can save you a lot of cash. As you get to know him and you become a loyal customer you may receive discounts, free haircuts, and it saves you the time invested in finding out a good barber that can actually cut your hair the way you want it to be cut. Not to mention that they will appreciate you more as well, and they will get used to your hair type and style.

5. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    There are many salons out there that are very inexpensive. I rarely go and get a haircut because I don't see the need to and if I want to get it cut, I can just do it myself. But it's nice to do every once in a while. It's kind of like going to the spa and getting pampered! The last time I went which was a couple of months ago, I went to Sally Beauty Supply inside of Walmart. It was the closest salon, it was very convenient, so I went there. It was still cheap but I bought shampoo and conditioner so it added to the expense. But either way it's so nice to get your hair done at a salon. I'm sure you can find tons of coupons online for them too at any time of the year.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread is apt to the style of my husband. He would usually get a haircut every 3 weeks. But in the recent years, I have noticed that he would be growing his hair longer before he would go to the barber shop. And the reason I learned is that he saves money. Check it out - how many times does he get a haircut in one year if he goes to the barber shop every 3 weeks as against getting a haircut every 4 or 5 weeks. Neat frugality, huh.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Other than having a style that doesn't require too much up keep and doing everything that has been mentioned already - like cutting your own hair, or having it done at a beauty school where the prices are generally cheaper and of course having it cut less frequently - I don't really think there are any other ways of reducing the cost of hair cuts.

Oh - apart from shaving it all off and sporting a bald look - as that would very definitely save a considerable amount of money - especially as it could easily kept up yourself for a fraction of the cost :D

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who is very good at cutting hair, and as a result of this I always ask her whether she would do mine for me or not. Usually she is more than happy to help me, and only asks for me to pay for the colour that she uses on it. Oh, and I always make her some lunch while she's at my house too, so I suppose she does get paid in a way, but it costs me a fraction of the price that it would if I had to go to the hairdressers.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been cutting my own hair for several years now, since my budget is so tight. There are some good videos on YouTube and other sites that can help with instructions for neophytes to hair cutting. The best one I've seen is to turn your head over (down), brush it all into a rubber band at the top of your forehead where your forehead meets your hairline, and cut straight across to the length you want. Once you have the ends all even, you'll go in with a short set of sharp shears, and cut notches into the ends, so it will look nicer.

Be very careful to not cut your bangs too short while doing this. I made that mistake one time, because I'd previously cut the back shorter, and it didn't occur to me that the entire length was closer to my head, meaning the bangs would be too short, since they were included in the ponytail. Nowadays I use the same method, but pull my bangs out before I make the ponytail, which helps keep them the right length. I'm hoping to be able to get a haircut at an actual salon soon, and that will fix my mistakes, then I'll cut my own again for the next year or so.

10. lookatalthea

lookataltheaMember

Threads:
    I totally agree! For some reason it really irks me to pay for haircuts. I avoid them for as long as possible! I have a few hairdresser friends but my schedule is so busy, it's hard to track each other down. An option is Groupon. I've done a Groupon haircut before and I liked it, but I'd say you probably have to be selective about which one you choose. There are probably some bad haircut Groupons out there. Someone else mentioned going to a hair school, that's a really good idea too. They're always looking for models to practice on, and the prices are half the price of a salon. Also there isn't usually much to be scared of because most hair schools have your hair checked over by a licensed professional (the teacher) before you leave, to make sure it's good. That's a pretty fun option too because hair school people always want to try crazy cuts and color! If you want something different, go to hair school.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I bought a haircut kit at D.D.'s discount for $10.99 and it was the best investment I have ever made. I use it to cut my boyfriend's hair and it saves us $25 a month on haircuts for him. I also cut my own hair. I have really long hair and my trims do not cost me a penny. Any small cuts are not noticeable and I am brave with cutting my hair. I know it will grow out and my friends always say I do a good job.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think there's much you could do about it other than finding cheap places to get a hair cut, but unfortunately the quality of those tend to be lower as well. An alternative would be to learn cutting yourself and buying equipment but personally I think it's more trouble than it's worth. Luckily for me I have a few cheap options nearby where I can get a hair cut for just a few dollars and I don't even need to go that often but I admit I usually just opt for the more expensive cuts most of the time because of the quality and the service.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:You could get a Flowbee: large.

is their site for more information. I have an older model of Flowbee. I ride the bus and I found 2 hairstylist that cut hair for just $8.00! Sometimes you can find very inexpensive hair cutting places like schools that teach hair styling. When I was going to college they would open their doors to the public during the semester for hair cutting. You see the profession for licensing you need to have cut certain amount of heads to be licensed. The problem is they do the hair cutting only during the semester. We have another school for hair cutting that's open all year round so research and see what's available in your town. There's Walmart & Costco that has hair salons too and they might be cheaper. You can only cut your own hair sides, the back has got to be cut by someone else always. Check how to cut hair too before investing in a machine to cut your hair at home. By the way every hair stylist has their done by someone else. Good luck for cheaper hair cuts.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut my hair nowadays so that I can save on money, and so far so good, it still looks decent, lol. I just trim it and then layer the cut a bit and voila! My hair is manageable again, and I get to save money as well. I trim my hair like twice per year.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have my hair trimmed to keep the dreaded split ends at bay each time I have it 'relaxed' ( chemically treated so it's manageable). This is done at no extra cost, and is just part of the routine, luckily. Just as well, as that hair salon is way too pricey LOL Not complaining as they do a fab job, mind.

16. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    That's all I could suggest :p As someone who gets a buzzcut, this really isn't a problem, but I do wonder about people with more comoplex styles, then it's probably best to pair up with a buddy and do each other. I used a barber college once, never again.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you heard of locks of love? It is a non-profit organization that accepts donations of human hair with the intention of making wigs for financially disadvantaged children in the US and Canada. They partner with salons from time to time to get the hair.

The salons host free haircut events so they can get the hair they'll donate. Find such an event in your area and you get a free haircut.