We Actually Cut Our Electricity Costs A Little

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by PennyPincher • May 13, 2016.

1. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    I'll admit it, my daughter and I have a bad habit of leaving too many lights on throughout The House. Last month my hubby started reminding us that we HAD to start turning the lights off when we left a room. So we listened. This month our electricity bill was around $25 cheaper than normal. Who would have though it would make that much of a difference just by turning of the lights?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good for you! Many people do not realize that the solution to big problems are actually so simple. Unfortunately their minds wander into various territories that they forget about what's essential. Turning off the faucet, appliances (plug them out of the socket at all times) and prioritizing your needs over wants are just a few ways to help you save up on your utility bills.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Being self-aware and strict with your energy usage can really go a long way. Not only is it good for your pocketbook, but you are also reducing your carbon footprint and helping the environment by using less energy! We are pretty good about turning off the lights before leaving a room, however, I used to be a stickler when it came to unplugging unused electronics. For example, phone chargers, the television, lamps, and the toaster would get unplugged when not in use. This simple trick saves even more money when you are consistent at it. I would like to get our family back in this money-saving the habit.

4. Gena

GenaMember

Threads:
    Also doing things like the dishes or laundry after 8pm can do wonders for your utility bills. We save quite a bit by doing that alone. Add in being good about turning on and off lights, and we have a very affordable electric bill!

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't realize that about the laundry or dishes, but actually it makes sense because the electricity is not at peak demand during that time. I guess I will try that for awhile and see if it makes any difference in the bills. Our electricity here can get out of control because there is something electrical on here at almost all times.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think timing might depend on the electric plan you're on. I know here there are plans that offer free electric in the mornings and evenings, but since I don't work outside of the home, I use the majority of my electricity throughout the day, not just in the mornings and evenings, when I'd otherwise be getting ready to go to work/school and later, returning to the home from work/school.

One thing that has helped me to cut back somewhat is to use multi-plug outlets. I have power strips with surge protectors for the electronic equipment such as televisions and computers, but in the kitchen and bathrooms, I use the multi-plug outlets that plug into the wall outlets. When the items aren't in use (electric can opener, mixer, curling irons, hair dryers, etc.), I can simply unplug the one unit, instead of having to unplug multiple items, and when I want to use something, i can simply plug in one unit, rather than having to sort through the plugs to figure out which cord goes to which appliance.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's our weakness - too many lights left open at night. There's one in the terrace, 2 in the garage, 1 in the grotto, 1 in the backyard. Those lights are our protection against intruders because there are many incidents of house break-ins.

But in fairness to us, we are frugal in the morning. We don't leave an electric fan running with no one using it, likewise with the lights. And our old refrigerator is defrosted regularly to make it economical in electric consumption.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have people in my house that will leave for the day and leave the lights on. I came home one day after everyone had been gone for hours to find every light in the house on in an empty house. I even turn the heat down low to try and keep the bills low, out house is all electric which can add up quickly.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Turning off the lights and unplugging things are a bit of a pet peeve for me, because like you said those little things can add up, and I will take all those little steps to help save a couple bucks. It does not really bother me all that much but I will just try to make sure that I do it, but in certain cases if all the tights are on then I would get a little frustrated. Using natural light is always the best option.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Turning off lights when not in use and unplugging does save money. We do all this and found that not only do we save money, but we now live in a safer home with all the plugs off and even turning off the electric stove when not in use is a big money saver. We turn off the heater and put it on for about half hour daily. Little things like this saves a lot every month! We save I believe more than $40 a month doing all these different unplugging!

11. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It also depends on the wattage of the bulbs you are using. Most people have the bad habit of failing to turn off the lights during the morning. Its harder to detect a lit bulb during the day. This could result in an increased load on the electric circuits with current being converted into heat which is not economical. It could also be a pointer to carelessness with electricity elsewhere. I think using an app that automatically switches off the lights during day time would yield dividends.

12. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I always hated this about my sister. She left so many lights on and then complained about the power bill :( I of course always got blamed...

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    That is such a huge reduction in your bill! I am trying to use a solar lamp at night when I want to read. I just don't see the point in turning on my lights when I just want to do a little reading before bed and I hate getting up to turn it off anyway. Great tip!

14. judyd1

judyd1New Member

Threads:
    I know we definitely need to start unplugging and turning off lights. We always sleep with the light on in the garage, and one in the bathroom. But now with the outside temps at over 90°, the electric bill is going to go up. There's no choice other than suffer in the humid heat.

Can anyone suggest cheaper ways to keep cool without running the air conditioner--because that's the only relief I can get from the heat. But I hate the idea of the electric company getting your money in the summer and the gas company getting your money in the winter.

If it weren't for utility bills and grocery bills, people might be able to get ahead in this economy. I'm open to any ideas, though.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am amazed that there are many persons who may admit that they can't be bothered to go around turning off lights when they are not in use in order to save on electricity costs. Some people actually believe that it's futile to keep track and to turn off lights that are not in use because the savings would be insignificant so it's not worth the effort. I believe that if the doubters should get involved in the process of turning off the lights when they are not being used and monitor the consumption pattern, they would probably be convinced that it's worthwhile to conserve in this manner.

16. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    After losing one income I became more conscious of the utility usage in our home specifically the waste of it. There are some areas that I don't feel comfortable making changes to such as outdoor lighting that is a must for security but other areas of waste are no longer acceptable or overlooked. Natural lighting during the day, low wattage light bulbs at night, unplugging washer and dryer until wash day have been major changes in our household.

Also taking advantage of the deregulation of electric and gas providers to get the best rate which changes yearly. I didn't make an effort before but now I can see the fruits of my efforts and it feels good to be proactive about it.

17. Gena

GenaMember

Threads:
    That is such a great tip! I forgot about unplugging things. Not only is it a huge money saver, but it's great for the environment too.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We already do this because our family has always been very frugal and it was always instilled in us never to waste electricity by keeping lights on in unused rooms unless we will come back quickly. Though, what has worked extra for us recently was switching to led bulbs. I initially didn't think it was going to work but it did end up lowering the cost of our monthly bills albeit just a little, but it imagine after years it would accumulate to a lot if we keep at it.

19. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    Air conditioning makes my electricity bill go up so high in the summer, it's terrible. I have been trying to leave the thermostat at 83 or 84 degrees when I leave the house. I have to leave one light on for my pets when I am at work but I am trying to see if I can let more natural light in through the windows for them instead. I also recently signed up with an electricity provider that gives free nights! (8am to 5pm.) They charge 12 cents per kilowatt hour for the day time electricity. I have not had my first bill from them yet but I think it will be quite an improvement.

Unplugging phone chargers and small appliances when not in use is another helpful tip I often forget to implement.

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    83 or 84 is probably too hot for your pets. I know my cat is pretty miserable when it gets that hot. I am not looking forward to seeing my electric bill this month because I have had the AC on more than off the past week, and it won't cool off a bit until next week. Naturally, as luck would have it or at least my luck, I am also missing a one hundred dollar check that was supposedly sent to me before the end of last month....what a joke! maybe just keep it at a steady temp of 78 would be good.