We Actually Cut Our Electricity Costs A Little

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by PennyPincher • May 13, 2016.

1. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well congrats to you, and all of those little things do add up in the end. If you just live a little smarter and always keep it in the back of your head to unplug and turn off things when they are not in use to managing to the air conditioning, you can really see some decent savings. One giant set back is having children though, so be prepared for that change (they are not so good at turning things off).

2. MVLaHearse

MVLaHearseNew Member

Threads:
    I love this! It's the simplest solutions that pay off so well. Who would have thought not using electricity would make your bill cheaper? I'm not making fun. I had to break myself from the habit of lighting my house up like an airport. Now all we have to do is get the kids to flip some switches off in rooms they aren't in and stop leaving the refrigerator open. That's my biggest pet peeve and I just know the meter is running like crazy when I see it.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Mmm which kind of light bulbs do you install for indoor lights? I suggest to change for smart dimming LED light bulbs to adjust the intensity of the light as desired, and save a hefty sum of money. Of course the initial investment is higher than convencional ligh bulbs, but in the long run it pays back.

4. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Congratulations to you and family! All of those little things really do add up. In my household, I noticed when we started unplugging things that weren't in use, the savings were incredible.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I want to get better with this too.It's encouraging to think you could save that much! Also, I think a lot could be saved by turning off the computer monitors and closing all programs when the computers are not in use. I have a habit of leaving it all up and running. We have 2 large freezers. I recently combined everything into one freezer and turned the other on off. That knocked about $25 off the electric bill.