We Don't Have A Tv: Should We Get One Now?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Gold Coin • Apr 25, 2017.

1. Gold Coin

Gold CoinNew Member

Threads:
    We've been fine without it since 17 years ago. Until my grown up kids are thinking of buying one because they now have part time jobs.

We do not have control over what shows or advertised on TV. My daughter has one in her own home. And my teens can't be bothered socializing with family gathering at my daughter's. It's disappointing.
    Therefore, in my opinion, having a TV does not only save quality time, it isn't ideal for social interaction.

Besides, news can be watched online. And we watch movies and some TV series online, as well.

Any advice on saving money, saving time, and/or saving the money instead of throwing it on a TV ?

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    This is too personal. It all depends in your decision. Seeking advice from us won't do anything good or better. We couldn't even control own children on their behavior. When we do, we become inconsiderate with them. By experience, you have been able to survive without this TV and you said that TV wouldn't do nothing as far as quality time in the family is concerned. What really has been proven good or even better, why not stick to it.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if you'd like a TV there are other considerations to consider such as what kind of connection do you want-dish or cable? You'll be charged monthly for this connection service too-you'll have an initial charge also for installation and hook up to your home to the cable. I don't know how dish is for we never had dish. Our cable company is TimeWarner now called Spectrum. You'll have to get a TV stand too. If you'd like special kinds of channels you pay for it too. If you want digital and buy a digital capable TV you have to pay extra for it too. There are sales on TV all the time easy to find online at Best Buy or your favorite TV store. I notice Walmart has sales on TV all the time. If you can you can go to the Store to see if you like TV watching and all the different sizes of TVs available. You get to have Breaking News reports when you watch TV if anything is happening at the time you're watching, evacuation notices and breaking news on the weather and sale notices form dept. stores too on TV. It is up to you whether you'd like to get a TV or not. One last thing there is TV guides on TV our local channel is 56 or you could get the TV log from the newspaper, ours comes with our Sunday newspaper. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

4. ADSSOLSN

ADSSOLSNMember

Threads:
    Cable TV may actually be cheaper than internet if your concern is affordability then you can buy one.
    however, there are several considerations like how you spend your fun time and how you define fun.

5. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @Gold Coin@Gold Coin It is a personal choice that you can only make yourself. I didn't have a TV either for a while after I repatriated but somebody gave me one. they only gave me their old TV because they wanted me to have one for when they come to visit. Of course, that left me with a yearly bill and lack of conversation when they visit. I hardly ever watch it, it is mostly adverts and you don't get a choice what your eyes may get to see.

It kills conversation and can lead to all kinds of depressive states if you think about it. It's your choice at the end of the day, but you really are not missing out on anything other than some cash out of your pocket.

#5Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    You're apparently convinced that you don't need a television and that buying one is a complete waste of money. That is a personal decision that only you can make. If you feel that not having TV has worked for 17 years, then I'm sure that it will work for the next 17 or so years onward.

I just felt that in this age of mobile gadgets, getting kids to sit down and watch TV together has become a challenge for many parents. Watching TV, reacting, and laughing together create a bond among children/siblings. Adults can watch news, movies, and TV series online but how about kids/teens? How do they watch these stuff? On a smartphone? laptop? tablet? Individually? Together? Oh, I am getting nosy, I'm sorry. I just feel for the kids.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Just have a large monitor PC and subscribe to Netflix, Much more better experience because you can watch according to your own schedule and there will be no commercial. If you wanna save money, You can also illegally stream stuff but that is something you can take at your own risk.

8. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer a cable T.V as it will be cheaper compared to internet live streaming. But it greatly depends on you and your family members. Talk with them and if you think that they really need a T.V go for it. Good luck :)

9. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille That is interesting, I never thought of watching television could create a bond between siblings. When we were watching TV we had to be quiet so everyone could hear it. We did play all the board games though and have lots of days out that enabled plenty of bonding.

Thre are some worthwhile programmes on TV, like documentaries and nature programmes but these type of things can be found on YouTube and across the net.

#9Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed , For kids, there's always time for everything :) My sibs and were only allowed to watch certain TV programs two hours at most during school days and we all looked forward to those hours. Oh yes, except for common laughter on certain scenes, we had to stay quiet during the program. But then, we all have the highlight scenes in mind and we always talk about them and even act them out during our play time. At school, students casually talk about the past episodes during break time. Watching TV doesn't mean that there will be no time for family bonding activities like board games, family outing, or sports. It's all a matter of keeping things balanced and not making feel kids deprived.

It's easy for me to say that I can live without TV because I can live without a TV as long as there's internet. However, I have a child and there are many kid-friendly shows that teach values to kids. Sure I can find them on the internet and stream them on a large smart TV. But I'm not always home and I don't want my child to be deprived of his favorite entertainment while I'm working. He understands that he can't watch TV for long hours because it will strain his eyes.

I was touched by the OP's story that her kids gathered on their sister's TV set instead of socializing. I just felt that if they had a TV at home, they will be looking forward to do other things like 'socialize' or play games during their visit to a relative. She also mentioned that her teens want to buy TV now that they have part time jobs. If the kids are going to pay for the TV, what's stopping the family from buying one? While most teens will take TVs for granted, having a TV at home obviously means a lot to these kids. LED/LCD TV have low wattage and are not likely to turn the electric bill up significantly.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand that some people are not fond of watching tv programs. And like me, I am not also fond of movies. However, I cannot do away with the tv because that is my link to sports, I love watching the mixed martial arts on sports channel. But my wife is one person who seldom watches tv so maybe is I would be gone (not now, please) then she wouldn’t need the tv anymore. I know of some other people like my wife but they have a tv in their home because of their children. So I agree that if you don’t need a tv set then why buy one?

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    There is nothing wrong in having a tv. Social interactions can still remain the same provided it is qhat everyone is willing to make efforts towards.

Tv can sometime bond the family with watching sports like cricket, wildlife documentaries or even cartoons with kids.

It depends on what your cable provider has ro offer in terms of saving money. There are various plans that may be cheaper and convinient than internet.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    At least for me... This is a totally personal matter (but why not buy a computer?).

I practically don't watch TV anymore nowadays... It's something I rarely do. I watched everything I need on my computer (despite having a television too).

14. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with most of the comments here, it all depends on your personal needs and wants and at the end of the day, it's your decision whether to get one or not. We don't own a TV as well and it's been a long time since we owned one but in our case, we don't actually need a TV because everything we need for entertainment is just right in our computer. We watch movies and news online so having a TV won't be an option for us for now :)

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It's okay if you chose to buy a TV in addition to owning a computer. Sometimes you may like to listen to the news from the TV or watch the sport by taking a break from the system. As a family it's a lot more convenient for all members to watch programs on the TV together. Though I do not have enough time for my TV but I make sure I keep one, once in a while I watch and entertain visitors with it.

16. Gold Coin

Gold CoinNew Member

Threads:
    Thank you all! @tonyb@tonyb @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit @Decenlady
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy @janemariesayed@janemariesayed
    @harijobs@harijobs @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan

I hear all of your good advice and views on the matter. One of the the commenters said that more side/hidden expenses go with having a TV.

@Jamille@Jamille , amazingly, my younger kids understand current events and news from investigative journalism network while I listen in the kitchen (phone) while I clean up. They come and voice their opinion and see (by hearing) what's lacking in society-- morality. Yes, we discuss and see the worldview in a law and order conservative perspective. Our homeschooling set up, I guess helps us save money and time doing this.
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed Thank you for your perspective. I think we have the same reasoning and logic behind our actions about things. My daugher hosts family lunches on Sundays (except when she and her family have something on for themsleves).

I have opposed having TV in the house. But my teen sons are quite okay with it. We gather at home every Friday nights and play hocky/soccer/table tennis/kick ball/ out in the alfresco. On cold nights, we play board games, or simply hang around in the family room and tease each other and play throw pillows at the younger ones. Play piano and sing parts together. :-D

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have not owned a TV for about a year now and we have been doing fine without it. I as yourself watch movies and videos online, besides I don't think I would have much time to sit for long and watch TV. Maybe on the future so my daughter will have a bigger screen to watch her cartoons instead of looking in our small screen which can damage her eyes more.

18. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    That depends on your preference really. It's probably not economical to get one right now since there are better alternatives such as a laptop or a tablet that provide more features and more freedom (unless you go for a smart tv which is really not worth it in my opinion.

19. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Sometime back I read a report that said the number of American youths watching youtube is greater than those watching TV. Based on this fact I can say, you don't need TV. The basic purpose of watching TV is entertainment. What ever you watch on TV is available on YouTube. Therefore, TV is not necessary.

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well the good news would be that they are pretty cheap these days, and lightweight too which always helps for me. They used to really be a hassle to move but the flat screens are nothing now.