We Have No Washing Machine

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Alexandoy • Jan 25, 2017.

1. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    The inbuilt dryer in most times do not get clothes perfectly dried. What I normally do after using the dryer I'll still have to take the clothes out to spread them on the rope. The dryer helps a lot in getting most water out but not able to give total dry in many cases. That's exactly what I did today, after my routine washing.

2. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    I just think that drying clothes in the dryer tends to ruin them quicker....plus always a little shrinkage even if you're careful.

The only time it doesn't shrink something is when you want it to. :)

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Our washing machine is currently broken right now, so we have no choice but to handwash our clothes. I like having a washing machine because it saves you time and effort when washing your clothes. Although you must always put fabric connditioner on the clothes to ensure that they will end up smelling good when they're already washed.

4. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I am quite surprise to see so many people here do not have washing machine.

Before my husband and I moved to our own house, we didn't have washing machine too. We hand washed our clothes, as there were only two of us, so it wasn't too difficult to hand wash the clothes. Now that we have three kids, I do not think I would like to hand wash all the clothes now. Moreover, I am totally fine with the washing machine, perhaps we mostly wear t-shirts or we are not so particular in the clothes.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The washing machine does save on time and energy and it's ver easy to operate, in fact, it's operation is mostly automatic will allow you to do something else while the clothes is being washed. I have been using the washing machine for many years and I have had no regrets about it ruining my clothes. It's widely known that the washing may not be friendly to certain materials or clothing, therefore, these items should not be machine washed but in general, I can say this device has served me well enough through the years.

6. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer washing machine because hanging clothes outside is illegal in my town and will get me to jail. So using a washing machine and a dryer is the logical clothes.I wear Fubu Shirts and they are known to be durable so a washer is not going to ruin it. The concept of paying a handwasher does not exist in my country.

7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, my... How can you live without a washing machine? o_O Congrats!

I'm totally dependent on one (unfortunately it has already become a bad habit :oops:) and I think it would take me a long time to adapt to manual mode / routine.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I live in the US so I am sort of spoiled in this regard. Anyhow, though, according to the OP, hand washing is not cheaper as I might have falsely imagined. In that case, we would do better to use a public laundry machine or simply to buy a machine and a dryer also, if you happen to live in a cool or cold climate. Note, I lived in Minnesota once, a US state near the Canadian border, and it was nearly impossible to get clothes to dry there, outside of the summer months.

#28Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, these days I am using my parent's flat by the beach, and they do have a washing machine, so I am not doing the dishes haha. It's a luxury sure, but at the same time it's also some work to prepare the dishes for the machine. It cannot be compared with not having a clothes washer though.

10. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I do prefer hand washed clothes than ones washed in a washing machine. Though hand washing is time consuming and you need to put a lot of work but clothes smell much better when hand washed. Aside from that, the fabric won't suffer a lot of tearing, we have a washing machine which had half of my clothes in the closet destroyed. If my clothes were hand washed I might still have those clothes to wear.

11. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a washing machine either, I do hand washing. Actually I have never used a washing machine. Doing laundry through a washing machine of course saves time and effort, however, it also increases your water consumption and electricity. If you want to live frugal, never use a washing machine.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The cost of washing machines is quite high. In that case, it seems like the OP would be wrong in saying that handwashing is more expensive. Why might he be right?

@luri@luri Water and electricity might be more expensive for some than others.

#32Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  13. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @luri@luri I suppose it's a matter of habit. I've washed some pieces of clothing by hand when they have specific stains that the machine can't wash, but other than that all goes to the machine. Both me and the wife have full-time jobs, we have two kids, so it would be insane to hand wash our clothes, it's almost a full-time job!

#33Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  14. nanachan7

nanachan7New Member

Threads:
    When I was living alone, I hand-wash all of my clothes including my college uniform. I washed my clothes every Sunday. But now that I am living with my siblings, we had no choice but to buy a washing machine since it's too much clothes to hand-wash. I know I can just hand-wash my own clothes but then we will be wasting water. We also can't afford to pay someone to hand-wash our clothes. :p

15. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I have a washing machine for over 8 years now. Initially when I bought it we used it regularly but after some time we hired a maid(common in India) to do our household chores like doing the dishes and washing our clothes. Her pay is about 800 Indian rupees.
    We rarely use the washing machine. When the maid is on a leave, we use the washing machine. Having a washing machine is uncommon in India. Most people either wash their clothes themselves or hire a household maid.

16. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    I hand-washed my clothes myself. I don't like some machines or others doing my laundries, so I always craved out time for it especially weekends.

17. Nkudensi

NkudensiNew Member

Threads:
    I don't have a washing machine, but I can assure you that it is vital to have one especially for those Moms that do not have Nanny. At least with watching machine, one can pick the clothes that are not compatible for washing with machine and hand-washed while using the machine to wash others. I have started saving towards buying one as I have three active kids and washing their clothes day-in day out is not an easy task.

18. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We have a washing machine that takes away the drudgery of washing clothes by hand. It also saves a lot of water as well as detergent as hand wash would be resorted on a daily basis and that would mean more water, labour and more detergent . The only thing we hand wash everyday are the kitchen towel, aprons and floor swabs. Underwear is also washed by hand but collected for a few days.

19. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    This is a tough one. I am so used to having a washing machine. It will be difficult to cope without one and I do not want to try it:). Like, it is so convenient for me. I can wash any-day and anytime. Whether morning, noon or midnight. I have a mini-dryer so I use that for light items like underwear and socks.

I don't agree with the argument that a washing machine destroys clothes. You have to first check the label of the clothes before you put it in the wash. Some labels clearly state - hand wash only. But some people still wash this in the machine and the item is ruined.

20. Koksadi

KoksadiNew Member

Threads:
    You are lucky to have a person who is doing a good job. Keeping a domestic help is not difficult but, finding a person who does all the work in accordance with our will is a big battle. This includes both the quantity as well as quality of work.