We made...some sort of spinach tofu thing.

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Miaka_M • Apr 4, 2014.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    April 2nd was my birthday and my boyfriend planned a whole day of things for us to do. Sadly these things involved us going outside and the weather was absolutely horrifying! We ended up staying at his place and cooking some sort of tofu thing. We put together a bunch of things, off the top of My Memory they included the following:

• Tofu
    • Mung Flour
    • Salt
    • Black Pepper
    • Cayenne Pepper
    • Chili Flakes
    • Spinach

We mixed everything together and fried the concoction like a pancake shape. When we finished, it actually tasted pretty good and we gave each other a pat on the back! We turned nothing, into something delicious. Have any of you ever done something like this? How did it turn out?

2. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    My boyfriend is a professional cook, so he is always interested in making interesting dishes and trying new things. The other night we made a Mediterranean yogurt sauce with cucumber, fresh dill, lemon, garlic, and Tahini. It was delicious! I love when new things come out deliciously perfect. :)

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Both of these sound like they would taste good. I love to experiment. Some things I experimented with or on became new classics. Like for instance, and these are not 'out there' ideas, but one I didn't know about were one was to toast rice in the pan before adding water and cooking it. I know how basic, right, if you want a roasted type flavor to rice. But it never occurred to me. Once I did it, I do it all the time now. It gives a richness and depth to rice.

Another one was to put veggie stock in homemade enchilada sauce. It actually sounded kinda gross. But it mixed well with the spices, and what it does is keep the meat from drying out, it adds a delicious moisture, and will taste a bit different each time when the stock is different. Now I mix it even in taco meat. It's really subtle in flavor, you don't taste it like yuck or gross but just what is that you did differently, I can't put my finger on it, but it's great!

The tofu thingie sounds good for when I used to eat tofu. Heck I could make tofu taste like almost anything meaty. Well not a steak, but hey. I don't eat soy anymore now. I feel SO much better physically.