Wearable technology: is it worth it?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • May 20, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Smartglasses and smartwatches are the tip of the iceberg, there is a lot of smart-technology being produced that can change the way we live. Do you have any piece of smartwear? Do you think it's something worth it or not really?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    They're not for me.

For some people, I can see them being great....eventually. I don't think the technology is good enough yet for them to be mainstream and really useful.

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    agree with Jessie. I'm more into those technology that are tested over time. Desktop computer is my best partner in life, i do have a tablet but really I just use it when I'm traveling or while commuting in a bus and so I read an eBook. smart glasses seem not for me either.

If its something I can use and will make me look like jamesbond, i might just use it.

4. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Some people like the idea of wearable technology, I think it is lame.

Sure, after it has been developed and looks better, I might give it a shot. However, it just does not have that appeal at the moment that most people crave. It might seem kind of futuristic, but I think it is over the top.

I won't be getting those smart glasses any time soon!

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I agree with you guys, I think the concept and the possibilities are fascinating, but the prices are still to high, at least for the Glasses. The smartwatches are a different conversation, if I am buying a watch and for the same price I can buy a smartwatch, why not?

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For now, I want to keep mum about it. It's not that I am playing safe. But initially all the gadgets were at first thought to be not worth it, until they changed our lifestyles that they become worth it.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Smartphones already have so many features and are owned by most of us - how can smartglasses or smartwatches compete with that? Having three 'smart' devices seems overkill and I feel that many of the features one has are present in another. Plus, glasses and watches are smaller and lack the accessibility of phones. I see owning all three like a waste of money, at least at this point in time.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Smart wearables is just a selling gimmick for the tech companies.

I've heard that some smart watches can check your blood sugar level, etc, etc a feature which I believe would be quite helpful to those who have diabetes. For the rest of us folks, I don't see what else I'd want with a smart watch. But well I'm one of those guys who sticks with old tech until it becomes obsolete so my thoughts might be biased.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see it as something very recent, but that has a huge potential to be developed. Like you say Denis, they can help in a number of health issues and they can serve as interface with our smartphone, our car, our home, as you can see it can really make our life very different. Not now maybe, but soon enough, maybe in a couple of years, many people will see this differently.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't own any smartwear because I think that it's not practical and they don't aesthetically appeal to me. Besides, the technology that the smartwear offers is already present in other gadgets, so I see no point in buying them. It's just an added profit for the companies, that's why they decided to make them.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that a smartwatch is as practical as a regular watch, but I am not buying just yet no because I think that the prices are still too high due to the smartwear is still a relative novelty. In time prices will come down, the smartwear will be more reliable and I will get a watch and a glass for sure, it will be bye bye cell phone for sure.