Wearing Less To Save More?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 9, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a guy, so that's probably why the issue of "fashion" tends to confound me a bit if you know what I mean. Well, what I really do mean is that I mostly try to think pragmatically when it comes to fashion and overall clothing.

Tell me what you think about this concept: would you choose to wear less clothing so that you could save money on purchasing clothes overall?

This concept isn't as straightforward as it seems: it can either mean wearing less layers/Fabric at any given time, so that you wear through less clothes than you may usually do, or it may also mean that you choose to "re-wear" a few pieces of clothing on several occasions, so that you spend less.

But, on the other hand, there is the consideration that wearing through a few pieces of clothing repeatedly might wear them out more easily, so there's a lot to consider here.

So please, help me make up my mind on this issue:

Does wearing less actually save us money?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNAz_YsqFqLxRfCZ34NTrogAxsi4EFn-cdfp0ToKMq9jEmcCIkdw.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve always liked fashion, but over the past few years I’ve become pretty pragmatic about it myself. Which isn’t always easy when you’re a semi-style blogger and you don’t necessarily feel like you fit a certain niche (i.e. minimalist). I used to be one who could never repeat any piece of an outfit during the week but I realized that was insecurity-based. Now I’m all about the remix. I have no qualms filling a gap in my wardrobe if I happen to discover one (I could use an office-friendly skirt, for example) but I no longer need a ton of clothes to feel satisfied and stylish. Plus it does save money if you do it right.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think you have to necessarily wear less or reuse worn items just to save money. These days there are so many stores wanting your business that they become a lot more competitive in prices, so as long as you find certain stores that you can buy from regularly you won't have to cut down so much on the purchasing. You could also just binge shop during sales when a lot of the items are priced way down.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that wearing less saves you money. For example the slacks versus the short, naturally the shorts is cheaper. With the top, it can be a t-shirt against a branded blouse. But with fashion, it is not wise to save. What I have in mind is to wait for bargains or promos from renowned boutiques, they never fail to have a run of sales before December. That way you can buy a slack that is cheaper than the shorts in terms of price.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wearing less will most certainly save you money but there are some seasons when you have no choice . . .

Anyway, a great way to save some cash on clothes without sacrificing too much would be by buying fewer quality clothes and take care of them. They'll last longer and you'll save a lot of money in the long run.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm in the UK where wearing less generally means that you're that cold, you need to put the heating on. So it's a false ecomomy really. What you'd save in wear would need to be spent on power. Similarly, wouldn't sticking to the same few garments mean that you would be washing them constantly? Again, this would cost in terms of detergent and power and will cause more wear and tear.

The best thing you can do for your clothes is make sure they are washed, dried and ironed according to the instructions. Ironing things inside out helps your clothes look better for longer too.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wearing the same clothes more often will require you to wash those clothes more often, which in turn will wear them out quicker which will require you to replace them. There is really no way around it, it is a circle, wear it, wash it, replace it, purchase it again.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Wearing less here in our country is essential. I live in a tropical country and wearing layers of clothes can really be hot. It's like summer here all year round, except during December and January maybe. Anyway, I do think wearing less can save you money. You can even save money from water and detergent use. I am guilty of repeating most of my clothes and none of them has been torn or worn out yet. As long as the quality of the clothes are good, I don't think they will be worn out that easy. It also helps that we hand wash our clothes at times.