wedding dress cost

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by dazzlingblue • Nov 21, 2013.

1. dazzlingblue

dazzlingblueMember

Threads:
    How much was your wedding dress, and where did you get it?

I got married (eloped) in May, and my wedding dress was around a $100 from

I did add nice shoes, a bolero, etc., but from what I've seen brides spend on many of those tv shows, the entire look couldn't have cost what a lot of people seem to be spending.

Ayumi & Matt_268_low. .

2. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I havent seen my fiancés dress yet, but i know she spent 1400 on it. I feel thats pretty cheap compared to what i see on tv. Then again, we're not on tv because we're not spending ridiculous amounts. I wonder what the average is.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dress was less than most spend on... I can't even think of the cheapest thing most spend on for a wedding lol. I think people spend far too much on every aspect.. not the best way to start a life with someone, but I'm not the most "traditional" girl lol

4. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I am not married yet but if ever one day I will be, I don't want to spend too much on the wedding dress. Probably $100 is already good! That's actually a steal by the way. Good job!

5. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    You can save a lot on your wedding dress if you plan ahead and network. I started with a relatively plain wedding dress whose cut I really liked. There was no beading or fancy stuff on it. It cost me $250 since I bought the fabric and a friend of a friend was the one who sewed it. Honestly, if you know someone who sews for bridal shops they are not paid nearly as much as you think they do. If you snoop around you'll find someone who can sew the pattern you want for way less. Next up you want to make it look special. Look for an embroiderer or a person who sews the bead on the dresses. Snooping around can also get you one or ask friends of friends. They'll be happy to sew the beads on where you want it on your dress. All in all my dress cost less than $500 and I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

#5Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  6. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    IMG_0534. My dress was about $300 including shipping from overseas, from Lightinthebox.com I believe. I can see why people want big, beautiful dresses on their special day, but going into debt for a dress that you'll never wear again seems frivolous to me, and doesn't bode well for the marriage if you're already starting off on financially shaky grounds for frivolous reasons.

My dress turned out to be very pretty, for less than half the price of similar designs from my local dress shops, including David's Bridal.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I second that. Eventually when I get married I don't plan on spending a truck load of money either. It just seems a waste spending thousands of dollars on a dress that you're only going to wear once. And you could try and pass it down to your daughter ( if you have one) but they many not like it and it could be way out of style ect... $ 100 sounds about right then I 'd probably try and sell it later. Or I may even rent one. Do they even have rented wedding dresses?