Wedding registery or own gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Jennifer • May 25, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Do you prefer to buy a wedding gift from a registery or to buy a personal wedding gift for a friend that is getting married?
    I tend to leave everything to the last minute so a wedding registery works well for me. What is your preference?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to buy a personal gift that I've chosen with the couple in mind. Wedding registry gifts tend to be impersonal, expensive or both. I'd rather give a gift that stands out from the crowd, and you can only do that if you've put in the effort to find something suitable for the happy couple. Of course, if you don't have the time or the inclination to do that, a wedding registry is the ideal solution.

3. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I like the registry so I can see what they have already gotten and still needs. My ex-boyfriend's brother's wedding they had gotten lots I mean lots of picture frames. Thinking people went on their own with the picture frames instead of off of the registry.

4. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Wedding registry, as long as I read it first! :D

Nah, I really do prefer the wedding registry. It allows for me to understand what the couple truly requires. I do not want to waste money on something they already might have or someone else has already bought for them.

I would rather know what I am purchasing will make them happy.

5. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I usually go from the wedding registry and then add a little extra something that I think the couple would like that is not a necessity item (like a frame or something). I figure I'd hate to get gifts I didn't really want/need in the first place, so why put someone else through that? If I can't get something from the registry, I get a gift certificate.

6. lynda22

lynda22New Member

Threads:
    I am a believer in registries. That way, it's easy to buy, and you don't have to worry about whether the couple will like your gift. If you want to add a personal touch, you can always give the couple something personal and inexpensive in addition to your registry gift- perhaps a photo frame or a scrapbook.

7. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I appreciate a wedding registry personally. It makes the process easier when shopping for what you think your friend may like. Usually I by a gift from the registry for the shower and give money at the wedding.

8. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I will check out the registry for ideas if I don't know the couple well. Generally I do not make purchases from them though. I like my gifts to have a personal feel or touch. I put a lot of thought into my gift giving. A registry or gift card is the easy way out.

9. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    Unless I really know them well and know what they are getting a registry really helps prevent giving the same gifts or giving them something they will not want or need.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd rather buy from the registry. The bride had a lot of fun picking out those things and that's what she wants. I'd rather get people what they want and need, instead of what I want to get them. It's their day so if the bride wants matching black damask design dinner plates, that's what I'll get her. Registries exist for a reason.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Mine is hit or miss. If it's someone I'm close to, then I go with something more personal. I like getting things customized and personalized for big days like this, so if I have time and an idea, that's the route I will go.

For everyone else, though, the registry is fine. After all, it IS what they really want, right?

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer the registry. I used to work in the China and Crystal department which housed the wedding registry. I used to help brides fill out the registry and help guest buy a gift. Also, I received many returns from brides that didn't receive what they wanted or didn't match what they had. So, I just use the registry. It makes things easier all around.

13. jaimie_lorraine

jaimie_lorraineMember

Threads:
    I just attended my best friends wedding and she really wanted the things on her registry. That's what they are there for to let guests know what to purchase. If you want to go for a gift not on the registry I would make sure that the gift would be something that they would actually want.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased a wedding gift for someone from a registry. I buy what I want to give based on what is within my means at the time. I like to give gifts that I am sure will be used or needed, especially for a younger couple just starting out. I don't think couples today think about registries the way couples of the past did. Today you might see a game system or power tools or something else non-essential to setting up a home together.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like being able to pick a gift off a registry so I don't have to wander around a story and find something. That is such a huge time waster and I don't have that much time at all. The only thing that gets me is when I shop late and there are only a handful of things that I can buy the couple. It feels strange buying them 2 towels and some silverware.

16. guidedessensations

guidedessensationsNew Member

Threads:
    If anyone know about the unique and different gifting ideas, visit Guide Des Sensations to avail relaxing and soothing gift deals.