Weight Gain

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by MarriedGirl15 • Sep 20, 2015.

1. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    If you gain weight and can no longer wear your clothes, do you get rid of them and buy new ones or do you loose the weight so that you can get back in them? For me I would try to loose the weight so that I can get back in my clothes. I don't like spending money when I don't have to.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    That's what sweats are for:D. Great for transitioning and for workouts. If you have to dress a certain way, maybe buy a couple of bottoms with a drawstring or elasticized waist.

I'm going through weight loss now and it's tempting to buy more. Anytime I want to spend, I just go to the gym.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the fit of my clothes to gauge my weight. If my clothes start to feel a little bit to snug, I know I need to do something to lose the weight. I would never let myself get to the point where I'd have no option but to replace my whole wardrobe, because that would mean that I was resigned to being that size. I would kill myself to get back down to the right size. Luckily for me, my size doesn't ever fluctuate beyond 3kg, either way.

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely use it as incentive to get those extra pounds off of me. I would make myself feel guilty for having to spend extra, just to accommodate my weight gain. Needless to say, I am skinny! But, still, it just seems worth the effort to cut back instead of spending more.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, my weight is stable at the moment, and I would never let it get to the stage where I had to buy bigger clothes. But, I would only ever want to get rid of clothes that I know I am never going to wear again. If the clothes were high quality, I would try to sell them on eBay, but if they were of a low quality I would try to sell them for scraps, as there is a company near where I live who will buy clothes from you for a small amount. It's better than getting nothing for them at all.

6. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. If it's clothes that I know that I can fit into if I lost a little weight, then yes I will store them away and keep them for after I lose the weight. However, if it's clothes that I know there's no way in heck that I would be able to fit into again, I'd rather just donate them. If they stay in my closet untouched it's just going to go untouched anyway, so if I know I won't be wearing it I don't see why I would keep it at all.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also try to lose the weight that I gained so that I can wear them again. I also am in the same situation as you, and my clothes look good as new so it would be quite a waste if they weren't used again.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I usually give them to my sisters. I have four sisters so there is always someone to give them to or get new clothes from! If not, then I donate them to the thrift store or try to sell the new pieces. I also trade them on Listia too!

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am at that situation right now, I have gained quite a few pounds since moving in with my boyfriend. Note that we are engaged, I really need to put the weight off.
    I will throw away a couple things here and there, specially the ones that were already a little tight when I was less heavy, and that now don't fit me whatsoever. However, for the most part I will store all of my clothing in the hopes that it will fit them again.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have a hard time getting rid of clothes. I'll try and hang on to the clothes that don't fit in hopes that I can one day fit into them. If after 2 years I still can't get into them then I'll donate the clothes. I do agree that sweat pants fit the bill for those times when certain clothes don't fit. I like to have a few good pairs of sweats that look aa bit nicer than typical sweats.

11. AnnMarie

AnnMarieNew Member

Threads:
    Ya, I definitely hang on to clothes that don't fit me. As a Taurus, I fluctuate in weight quite a bit. I even fluctuate seasonally with winter being heavier than summer. The only time I've gotten rid of clothes is when I was super super thin and I saw myself in a change room without clothes on. I was horrified at what I looked like. After that, as soon as I gained a size I got rid of everything that was really tiny because I swore I was never going to be that small again.
    Now I don't encourage hanging on to really big stuff "just in case" because that almost feels like giving yourself permission to let yourself go, but I have clothes in about three different sizes, from small and tight to bigger and baggy and I love them all. If you buy clothes that are really you and not just a fad then your going to be able to wear them for a long time. Beware of buying things just because they are in, If a style looks good on you, you'll know it. These are the clothes you want to invest in and even if you can't wear the for a year or two, you will be able to wear them with confidence when you can fit them again because you bought them to suit you not a fashion trend.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Losing weight isn't too easy. There are some people who buy clothes hoping that they'll be wearing them when they lose weight but never get to because after trying to lose weight and their enthusiasm flags after a while they never get to wear the clothes.

But that doesn't necessarily mean you should sell your old clothes. Keep them. Most women gain weight when they are pregnant but after they have a kid they can slim down again. They won't have to buy any new clothes.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that I know how to lose weight and that gaining would be more of a choice (small fluctuations are different, I'm talking real weight gain), I would definitely throw away clothes that are too big for me. I did just that a while ago.. threw away everything I had held onto for years because I thought weight loss was soooooooooooo hard and I couldn't figure out the magic trick so I might as well keep every item of clothing I have, just in case. Now that I know how to lose weight and it's not actually magic lol, I would donate clothes I grow out of.

14. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I also don't usually buy new clothes because of financial reasons, so if I have clothes that don't fit me anymore, I try to lose weight or at least make them fit. I have some clothes though that don't really fit me anymore even if I lose a lot of weight because these clothes are the ones from when I was younger. I separate these two types of clothes and get rod of or donate those that don't fit me anymore despite my trying to lose some weight.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I try to lose the weight before deciding to give them away. After pregnancy, I gained a lot of weight. And until now, I don't fit in most of my pre pregnancy clothes. I'm still struggling to lose the excess weight but I'm trying. And if this fails, then I guess it's time to let go of my clothes. But those clothes that were from my younger years, I gave them away already. I don't really keep them as I know many of my relatives can use them.

16. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    The correct grammar is lose, not loose. But I would try and lose the weight in order to get back down to my previous size. To see your clothes that you used to fit in is a motivation to slim down in my opinion. I find it hard to get motivated, but when I try on things that don't fit anymore it motivates me! I know I won't be exactly how I used to be, but at least I can get slimmed down and feel better about myself.

17. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I try to lose the weight, but if it's something like a pair of jeans I get a new pair. I'm still going to try to lose the weight to get back into my old clothes, but there's no reason I should be uncomfortable.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think losing weight is much better for financial and health reasons. I've lost and gained weight before and I never threw out the clothes unless they were out of style or too used because I knew I'd be using them again. If the change seems much more permanent then I'm more inclined to sell or give away the previous wardrobe, but usually for fluctuations, especially just minor ones, I just try and fix them or at least I'd maybe try out an alteration shop first if I really liked the clothing item.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is funny but it is true, some people engage in heavy dieting in order to get back to their usual form. Especially if the wardrobe is kinda new, it is alarming to learn that some of the new clothes do not fit you anymore. That is why I am watching my weight because it is a big waste to outgrow my wardrobe. Not to brag but most of my office clothes are expensive and it's not easy to replace all of them just because I gained weight.

20. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You lose weight to make your clothes loose!