Weird Cashier At Walgreens...again...

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by SpenserA • Jan 23, 2015.

1. SpenserA

SpenserANew Member

Threads:
    Well, I generally don't go to Walgreens. I prefer CVS for a number of reasons--the one near me happens to be cleaner, plus I really dig their no-smoking thing where they stopped selling them.
    But recently there's been one specific reason I haven't been able to stand going to my local Walgreens. There's a woman there, probably about 45 years old or older, and whenever I go in for anything, she makes the absolute strangest comments. I'll be with my mother for example, and joke about her (my mother's) age and the cashier will scoff at me like I've insulted her and go "Not all old people are stupid. I can hear you." and strangeness like that. Sometimes she'll just start snickering at me for talking to whoever I'm with. It's really annoying, especially because nothing has happened after I've repeatedly called Walgreens and told them that this woman should be talked to.
    It definitely makes me want to shop there less.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you think she may know that you called and complained about her? I wonder if the management told her, or even had a talk with her at all. It sounds like she's annoying, but I would also feel bad if she ended up losing her job over someone calling in and complaining about her.

There was an old lady who was cashier at our local CVS, and I used to stop in there before work since it was right by my workplace. Anyhow she would repeatedly keep sticking her tongue out and licking her lips while she was ringing me up. Honestly, I thought she was trying to get flirty with me or something and it was really grossing me out. I used to make fun of her to my coworkers and say it looked like she was trying to catch flies or something.

My then boss, who used to be a health care professional, immediately diagnosed why she was doing that - apparently it's a common side effect from a certain medication that he said she was probably on. That made a lot more sense, and I didn't get so weirded out anymore when I would stop in there.

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Apparently, that woman who works at that Walgreen is "insecure," hence is the reason why she listens and makes untrue outbursts like what you (SpenserA) scribed. Google "how to identify insecure people" and you'll find that I'm correct in my previous sentence of judgment. Such people should simply be avoid and ignored, because that's the best way to counter back insecure humans for he/she seeks the attention of others to feel better and possibly oppress other humans.

Word of advice to all persons on this forum, if you know or met a insecure human in your life, drop them as soon as possible because they will eventually hold you back or do you harm!

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a cashier at my local convenience store who really annoys me too. She'll pick up everything in your basket whilst she's ringing it all in and make a comment about it. She'll comment on whether something is healthy or not, whether she considers anything to be too expensive ("How can you afford THAT?") and even says things about the TP! It's not just me, she does it to everyone and she's a standing joke in my town!

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, sometimes it's hard to understand for others that being a cashier can be a very boring and monotonous existence, and that frustrations can rise to the surface. It sounds to me like this woman doesn't have a very fulfilled life and needs to vent her moods. Perhaps just avoiding her and going to a different check-out might be a nice thing to do. We all need our jobs, we all make mistakes.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    There was a lady at the Wawa by my work who would make strange or snitty comments. Like, I'd be buying a cup of coffee and a cheap muffin, and she'd be like, "Someones on a diet!" Like, what?? And one time, I went in for a friend who was pregnant and had the munchies, and was getting her some candy and a thing of Ben and Jerry's (and myself a bottle of water) and this cashier says "Well, somebodies having a party!!" whilst looking pointedly at my stomach. (Fyi, I'm a hefty girl and fully aware that "fat". In spite of what everyone thinks, I don't actually eat that much.) I coldly told her that if was for my pregnant friend, and she was like, oh sure. :mad: Like damn, I was a cashier too, and I know for a fact that you're not supposed to do stuff like that!! I haven't seen her recently though, Thank freaking God.

Also, for your problem, just try avoiding her. She might be friends or family with someone higher up in the store or even the district, and she might be one of those "I think I'll never be fired because I'm friend/family with BLAH BLAH, so I can act how ever I want!!" types. I had an niece of the owner of one store I worked for who acted like that, but I taught her that that shit don't fly with me real quick. ;)

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    If you shop there less because of that one woman, you're going to be letting her and others like her dictate/control your life. When people make inappropriate comments you have to learn how to turn things around in such a way that they realize they are out of line, but you don't make yourself look bad in the process.

If I were shopping with my mother and teasing her and someone made a comment, I would calmly and respectfully let them know that I was joking with my mother and not talking to them, and that as long as my mother didn't mind it, neither should they.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Id just avoid shopping there if it bothers you that much. They obviously arent going to fire the lady or they would have already done so. Really no reason to put yourself in unpleasant situations. I'm sure you can shop somewhere else and get better service.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just think that there's generally one inappropriate worker in every workplace.
    When I was in the hospital as a teen for a suicide attempt ,there was one weird female middle aged nurse that was inappropriate. When she was strip searching the girls to make sure that we had no hidden razor blades or drugs, she would make weird comments like "cute underwear" or " that's a pretty bra".
    When you're a teenager in an unfamiliar place , who just tried to kill herself,
    compliments on your intimate garments from a bug eyed nurse in her 40's are the last thing you want.

Every workplace has one of those weirdos that won't shut up, because they have to work somewhere.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good point @ ACSAPA, every workplace has it's eccentrics. No matter where you go in life, there's always an oddball. I suppose the world would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do believe that there is at least one strange and bizarre person at just about any workplace as well. I have seen enough of them. I try to avoid Walgreens at all costs because their cashiers are so incredibly slow at ringing people through. I stood in line once for 30 minutes and there was only 2 people ahead of me. Then they do the "I see 3" overhead announcement indicating that the line is getting too long and nobody ever comes to help ring sales!

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, at least she sounds like an interesting character, though that also sounds pretty annoying. I'd keep on complaining to management because that's unacceptable behavior under any circumstances at a retail location. There's no reason you should have to deal with that.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Only one? Unfortunately we live in a world where people think it's their birthright to behave however they want. Sometimes a business has to take what it can get from what's available, but then there's training and rule enforcement and accountability.

If you have a bad experience shopping someplace - and I mean actual poor customer service, not just you didn't like something, you should always report it to a manager. The same goes for when you get very good service.

Why? If someone is a problem it's not that simple to just get rid of them. Documentation has to be made to show a history of inappropriate behavior. In the case of good service, you can help a company recognize and reward someone who deserves it.

14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    There's a lady at the gas station I used to go who is weird, but in a different way. She is OVERLY friendly and does not let me leave, even when I am in a rush. I haven't complained though she makes me late every time I go in there. I used to get my coffee on the way to work from there. I've changed my coffee stop and I think you should switch back to cvs.

15. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh well. I think I'm a little numb to such things. I've never had to look past my own family to find weirdos who make strange or inappropriate comments. I think if it made me really uncomfortable, though, I would just not shop there anymore. Complaining to the management probably won't help as they are likely already aware of the situation.

Maybe she is one of somebody's weird kinfolk and they felt they had to hire her and give her a chance.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just had an awkward and messed up experience at Goodwill.
    I was donating a picnic basket that I haven't used in years. As I was about to drop it off, I noticed that it felt a little heavy ,so I peeked inside and realized that I had left a Nordicware cake pan and the parts to my Magic Bullet inside the picnic basket because I was storing things in it. So I told the cashier, "Before I donate this picnic basket, can I have a plastic bag? I left some of my possessions inside the basket."
    The cashier gave me the bag and after donating, I decided to look around the store.
    I set the bag down to look at some dishes on a low shelf. When I looked up, a female Goodwill worker was looking in my bag. I let her know that it was my stuff.
    I went to the register and paid for some sushi plates. As I was leaving, I overheard the Goodwill worker who had looked in my bag telling another worker "That bitch has a bunch of kitchen stuff in her bag that she didn't pay for. I hate her fake smile. Shoplifters make me sick and we're the ones who wind up paying."

I know that she was dead wrong and I felt pissed off ,but I just left because "I'm carrying a bunch of crap that I almost donated by accident because it was inside the item I donated." even sounds weird and made up to me.
    I'm still fuming, because hearing people talk about you and give you the side eye is an awful feeling.

I should have made sure that there was nothing in that picnic hamper, except the included set of plates and cutlery, before I donated it.

17. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    lol...That sounds like something that would happen to me.
    For real.
    You can't help what other people think and I'm sure you know that. Knowing it (and knowing the truth) doesn't make you feel any better, though. Or at least it never did me. I just try to soften things like that by wondering how many times I've thought the wrong thing about someone else and hope that in the future I'll remember it before jumping to conclusions again myself.
    Plus, regardless of how it makes you feel, try not to avoid the store or the clerk in the future because you really did do nothing wrong.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer Walgreens than CVS, I think the stores overall are better organized and easier to find what you are looking for. However I also don't have much luck with their cashiers! The plase I went to the most had bad cashiers who wouldn't look into your face, would have trouble understanding what you say and they were sooo slow. Thankfully nothing "weird", though!

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you never know what is going on with a person that you may consider to be weird. One person was on medication which caused her to have a little muscle tick. I think we need to be more aware of other peoples conditions like stuttering or the insecure person that is really afraid to look you in the eyes. The Golden Rule is a good thing to remember when you see people that you may really prefer to avoid, some one could be thinking the same thing about you, you think you are good to go, they think you are weird.

20. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    That cashier is being totally unprofessional besides being a total fruitcake. You shouldn't have to avoid shopping there due to a member of staff making you feel uneasy, you have the right to be able to shop in comfort and be treated with respect by the staff. You should take the complaint to a higher level if the store refuse to do anything about it.

There is a cashier at a local store i sometimes use who swears all the time when he is serving. He is not swearing at the customers but he just uses swear words when he is making general chat with the customer. He doesn't seem to realise that his language is completely inappropriate for the situation. Strangely there seems to be a lot of unsuitable people in customer service roles these days.