What About Anti-virus?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by to7update • Oct 28, 2016.

1. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently using the free version of Avast anti virus, but from the look of things I am actively online these days visiting several sites. I am beginning to think I'll need more protection. Besides Avast keep alerting me to do that. I'm already working towards a year which is around 24 dollars quit cool I guess.

2. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    True, and I've thought a lot about that and never understood what do brands have to win to sell their computers with a trial version of an anti-virus that disables Windows Defender. Are anti-virus companies paying HP, Dell and Toshiba to use their software?

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    You are very true. Nowadays I too start thinking in those lines. I am also using the free version Avast anti-virus. It's working fine in my PC but I don't know if it gives an effective protection or not. I also installed new version of Malwarebytes with 15 days free trial period. During the trial period it blocked a number of harmful sites when I tried to download some free games. So there is malware/virus attack happening to our PCs everyday and we need to be keep our data protected. That makes me think that there is nothing wrong in investing some money to buy an effective anti-virus program.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I think that the fact that Avast keeps telling you that you need more protection is nothing more than propaganda from the free version, telling you to buy their premium version @tonyb@tonyb. At least that's how I see it, as I never had the need to buy an anti-virus program and I've always been fine.

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say that they are are paying them to have their software installed on to the computers, and a lot of the time I think it's probably worth it as well. Many people will buy a new computer with a free 30 day trial of an anti-virus on there, and then when it's about to expire just pay for the upgrade without looking what else is available.

People these days are more computer savvy than ever before, but at the same time there is still millions of people that only know the basics, so if one brand of software comes with the device they buy, they will automatically stick to it as they don't know what they are looking for even if they did want to change.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, so not much to think about it right, they simply pay to have the software there, even if the user doesn't need it. A lot of people don't know nothing, you are quite right there, as in my job (IT Helpdesk) I receive many users that have bought anti-virus because the seller has advised them to.