What About Eggs These Days?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Dora M • Apr 22, 2015.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a big egg eater, but once in a while I do buy them. Before I moved to the city I had a small farm and never had to worry about buying eggs. My chickens had a wonderful free lifestyle on the farm and they only ever died from natural causes, as we are vegetarians.
    Lately I have noticed that the alleged organic and free-range eggs that I buy at a local health food store are dubious. The yolks have a very pale color and the eggs taste downright strange.
    Have you had any similar experiences?

#1Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Factory eggs are garbage. And free range is too. Those chickens aren't any healthier or free than the caged animals, they don't have the space for that. So they aren't caged, they're trampling all over each other and through their own mess. It's filthy and unhealthy. When I ate eggs, I made sure to get them from someone like you, where I could visit and make sure the animals were eating properly and treated well. There IS a difference in the eggs.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I could find a local supplier to get eggs from someone in my neck of the woods, who truly let them roam around freely. I don't even begin to know where to find someone to buy them from, and I would need them fairly regularly as we go through several cartons a week in our household. All of us have eggs every morning - personally I at least have two a day, but sometimes three or four.

Two friends of mine have started raising their own chickens in their backyards, but I am a little nervous about taking on that kind of responsibility, especially here in Ohio where we get some pretty cold months in the Winter. Also, I get a lot of critters in my back yard, so we would have to deal with that too - the raccoons in particular are very persistent.

I don't think I've ever tried any truly free range eggs, to see what the difference tasted like, but I have tried the pasteurized eggs and did not like them at all. They don't scramble up properly, and cook up flat without any body to them.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have local buy and sell sites? I don't know where you are, but I noticed recently, while looking for something else on ours, that a lot of people listed their eggs. You could try that route.. that way you can actually see how they're raised when you go to pick up the eggs. And if you don't like one, try the next until you find the ones that work for you. Eggs will differ from one home to the next depending on what they eat and how they live.

Otherwise, just look up local farms if you haven't already. But again, I preferred to get mine from regular joes. I was more certain of them and the chickens were treated as pets.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't care. Can't really taste a difference, so I just eat whatever eggs are on sale at the store we buy other groceries from. Yeah, maybe eggs from independent farmers taste better, but they probably don't taste so much better for me to spend way more time and money to buy them..

6. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I never had that experience. Just like the other poster said, I don't mind factory eggs at all. Factory eggs are cheap and have enough nutrients that my body need for my day to day activities and that is more than enough reason for me to buy them. I don't really care about the taste since I think there is nothing wrong with the taste of factory eggs. Also, I never really pay attention to the color of the egg as long as I know they are not expired.

7. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I do not eat factory eggs simply due to the filth and unhygienic manner in which they get their eggs. It is cruel and should not be allowed to happen. The chickens have zero room to move and many die because of it. I would not be expected to trample over loads of people, so it should not be any different.

I always buy free range eggs, I think they taste better, plus they are treated a bit better than caged chickens.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't notice those little things about eggs. They all look and taste the same once you have already cooked them, so I'm pretty fine with them. :)

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apparently you've never tasted a real "farm" egg. All those eggs you buy in stores, they'll taste the same. Someone who has eaten eggs laid by hens which roam free, never can like store bought eggs because they aren't tasty. When I lived in some city, I didn't eat eggs because they weren't all that delicious no matter how they were cooked. So there definitely is a difference. In my home town, eggs from local farms tend to be more expensive but people don't mind buying them because . . .

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have noticed this and Dora M and Denis Hard, you're absolutely right, this even goes right down to taste! Absolutely everything seems to be going to pot. Nothing we're sold these days tastes anywhere near as good, and the nutritional value has also deteriorated.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Who cares about nutritional value these days as long they make money? It's not just the quality of eggs that's gone downhill. They do worse things with milk. Cows get pumped with hormones and we get the chemicals in milk. Do those who sell it care? Money is what they are after and they'll do whatever it takes to get it.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, usually people saying there is no difference are comparing caged factory eggs with factory "free range". Again.. free range from a factory aren't any healthier and can be living in far worse conditions. The animals are so fatty and gross and this transfers to the food you eat as well. Eggs aren't as healthful and yummy as backyard hens lay and with their exercise and the vast difference in food they eat, the nutrition transfers to their eggs. Free range vs caged has been studied and I found it funny they were both from factory farms.. of course there is no difference! lol. Same sickly, dirty animals.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I noticed this one too, with free range eggs by happy farm. The co-op free range eggs always taste nice, but for some reason happy farm eggs taste like caged eggs to me. I'm not sure whether their diet is poorer or something, but there is definitely a difference between brands.

14. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I totally agree about the "free to be me" chicken eggs! There is definitely a difference, and if you put two plates side by side of the factory VS home grown, you'll see, smell and taste the difference. The yolks will be bright, almost neon, orange. It's just a fact ... plus eggs have a bad rap - the home grown will be healthier.