What About Man-Purses?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 15, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's to each one's own personal preference, and being a patron of some of women's stuff doesn't make men less manly. If they use some of the stuff that women use to use, maybe only now that men have realized the use or the rationale why women are using them and that they want to have the same benefit. But it still depends on one's own. After all, not all women use a woman's purse. Some women prefer to go out without bringing anything, but only themselves.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    "Man purses" should not be a thing. But they are, apparently, and it's pretty sad. I'm definitely not a metrosexual. I'm a manly man. So carrying a man purse for me is out of the question. If I saw someone carrying one I wouldn't say anything to them, but I'd find it pretty amusing personally. I'm a live and let live individual though, so if a guy wants to carry one they can be my guest. But you'll never seen me carrying one.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a really silly thing to make a fuss over...kind of similar to people who will argue that their little boy does NOT play with dolls, he plays with "action figures" only, kind of thinking- or pink vs. blue and that kind of thing. I don't really agree with the thought that there are boy or girl toys, colours, etc. And if a man wants something a little bigger than the typical wallet, than why not?

4. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I've been laughing for about five minutes over this. My boyfriend and I were just talking earlier on this topic. He doesn't refer to it as a man-purse, he prefers to call it a satchel (he's seen The Hangover a few too many times at this point). I actually think that guys should be able to wear them if they want without issue. It makes my life easier since I don't have to deal with my boyfriend asking me to hold his water bottle, or wallet, or book, or anything else he decides we need.

I'm a messenger bag kind of person, especially a cross-body bag. I bought one for my boyfriend last Christmas and he uses it fairly often. He switches it out with his backpack. I found a really nice leather "satchel" and he loves it. It's just perfect for him.

Though I will fully admit it was for purely selfish reasons that I bought him the bag. Now, I can make him hold my stuff in his bag when I don't want to bring a purse or bag of my own. It was a win-win situation.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Have I just missed it? Has no one talked about the T.V. series of the 1990's called, 'Seinfeld' that had an entire episode on this subject. Its hilarious. Go on YouTube and type in, 'It's European' or 'Fancy boy' and you'll see part of it. I think when traveling abroad, 'man bags' of some sort are essential. But when it comes to making a fashion statement - I think its silly and want to call people 'Fancy boy' when I see it. Which I have not seen much of it because I come from an area that is stereotypically 'manly'. lol But I must agree with Mr. Hard that distinctions should not be necessary. But thank you for this thread because now I shall be amused for the rest of the day. :)

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, I totally agree with this! I think the top picture is something I've seen guys with and it looks masculine and I wouldn't think twice about seeing a guy carrying this around. Sometimes I wonder how guys can just carry a small wallet around without needing a bag to carry other things. The bottom picture is a different story.... that to me looks too feminine. I would think most guys would be kind of embarrassed to use that kind of bag.

7. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I would carry a messanger bag if you consider that like a man purse. I would not carry a handheld purse though.

8. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a huge believer in the whole "this thing is feminine, this is masculine" thing, but you do have to buy a masculine looking purse if you don't want strange looks and your buddies to mess with you. I believe anyone should be allowed to wear and use whatever they please, but we're also part of a society, so that limits us. The best thing anyone who likes using "man-purses" could do is just use them and pay no attention to what anyone thinks about them, it's not a big deal anyway.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me just say that man purses are all right. As they always say, "it's not what you wear, it's how you wear it." But let me just amend that a bit for the sake of men who like to carry purses: "it's not what you carry, but how you're carrying it" that matters. If you know your orientation better than anyone else, it doesn't matter what other people say about your preferences.

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    MurseSmall_zpse5d7a214.
    I really like this one. Stylish, sporty, contemporary, small enough not to draw attention, but roomy enough to carry quite a few things. I don't have a problem with men carrying man-purses (murses) It just has to be an attractive looking one. I think the problem is with how men feel about themselves carrying one. I think if they're comfortable in their sexuality, they can feel good about stepping out from the box.

#30Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  11. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    The closest thing my husband owns to a 'man purse' is his daddy bag which we got him so he wouldn't have to tote around our newborn daughters big purple polka dotted diaper bag. We got him a tiny duffel sized bag that is just plain camo print. He could not argue with that and it fits everything he might need for her inside without much fuss.

12. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    For men, it's really nothing more than a messenger bag or an attache. The men that carry messenger bags range across all social classes. The men that don't know what an attache is or would call them man purses have clearly shown you that they are not in the field of work or social class that knows what they are and what they are not. Both options are better than a man with fifty pairs of cargo pants to carry all of the things that they claim they need on a daily basis in their pockets.

13. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with them. In my country, there is no distinction. It's just a bag. I see many men and boys wear the ones that look like the one in the first picture in this thread. Sometimes, men have a lot of things to carry too, so why not have a bag to carry things around?