What Antiperspirant / Deodorant Do You Use?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • Jul 23, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm growing tired of the smell of my antiperspirant, and have been wanting to change brands. Although, to try them all, I'd have to either buy them all or buy one by one and use each until they run out, which is not very practical, so I'm hoping to get a few suggestions to narrow my list down. So far, I've gotten to try brands that I don't like for one reason or another - such as, Old Spice & Axe.

Do you guys use underarm deodorants and antiperspirants? If so, which do you prefer - roll on, sticks, or spray on? I used to prefer spray on but now have grown more partial to stick form.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using a salt crystal for many years now. It's a natural deodorant with no nasty ingredients. Basically it is only salt that blocks your body odours, and the good thing is that it has no scent. I love it. Perhaps you want to try it out. You can find it in the health food section of your supermarket.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I try to use the "natural" deodorants. I don't like all the chemicals from the other deodorants, though I use to use Dove. I actually considering making my own. It is like the salt crystal, it will not block the sweat but the body odor.

I just don't have the containers for it yet. But once I do, I'm trying it.

4. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I am using Arm & Hammer Essentials Deodorant. I wanted something without aluminum and parabens so I decided to try this one. It works fine at controlling odor but it does not stop the sweat. It's a good option if you are looking for an aluminum free option.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Considering that NONE of them work at all for me I tend to change the brand I use regularly. My local shop has a deal on every month where they sell a can of a different one every month for £1 so I buy a couple and that lasts me until the next month when the next deal comes out. I don't know why they don't work for me, maybe I'm a medical marvel?

6. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I sweat too much and from try and error I've settled on the Degree brand. It's the one that works for me the most. My partner also uses Degree but for men. In fact he always had since before meeting me so this is a little thing we have in common.

7. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I use Degree for women. I went through almost every brand on the market while I was pregnant and this was the only one I found that helped. I still use it and for the most part, it works perfectly. Personally though, I would not switch deodorants because I am tired of the smell. If it stops working, that is one thing but if it continues to work, I can get over being tired of the smell.

8. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Degree has a couple of different scents and I switch between them but I never switch the brand. I've been using it for years now, I discovered it worked best for me in my teens and never went back.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I use all types of deodorants. I've used the roll on and sticks. I never tried the spray on. I mostly use the sticks kind. For the brand, I always get Suave 24 Hour Protection. You can check this brand out. The smell is pleasant and I stay nice and fresh for a long time.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also get tires of deodorants pretty easily! I also am pretty picky, I don't like many scents. I like light scents that won't accentuate your "own scent" throughout the day... right now I'm using one by Nivea that I really like it. It's meant to hydrate your skin and clear it as well, so far I haven't noticed the clearing part, but it does smell good and does the deodorant job, so I'm fine using it until something nicer comes along.

11. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    The deodorant brand I am loyal to is Secret. Besides being effective as well as diverse, it's affordable. Some of the other competitors cost more than they're worth (to me). So, I stick with Secret. I also like its smell - not too overpowering.

Secret-Deodorant.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Rexona, the stick form, but only when I have a stock of it. I figured that way back when I was in school, I can manage without wearing deodorant, so I don't make it a point to buy one as soon as the one that I'm using runs out.

13. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer rollons because I feel like they are the easiest to use and also the least likely to leave behind a residue. I have never tried a spray because in my opinion they seem a bit messy, but am intrigued by the idea. I tried a stick before but didn't like the whitish tinge it left on my underarms so now I use BAN rollon and love it. I use the unscented and not only is it truly unscented it is also a gentle but effective formula.

14. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I use Secret Invisible Solid. I like it alot. That is the only one that really works well for me. My son and husband use Degree For Men. They use the Clear Solid. I don't like the spray on because I feel it gets all in the air and not on my body.

15. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried several different options under the Secret and Suave brands and they just don't cut it for me. When I was pregnant, I used to have to carry those brands of deodorant with me because they just didn't last. They don't really do much better when I'm not pregnant. Degree is literally the only brand that I can put on and feel comfortable leaving the house without it tucked away in my purse.

I agree about switching scents within the same brand of deodorant. What I was getting at is that I wouldn't completely switch brands just because I am tired of a smell. When I find what works, I stick to it.

16. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    None of the above.

I have changed most of my body care products to homemade versions to reduce the load of xenoestrogens and other harmful chemicals my skin is exposed to. Skin does absorb everything you put on it to a degree. If something is toxic for me to eat, why would I put it on my skin? The aluminum products in antiperspirants may not cause cancer or Alzheimers but they do absorb into your skin and are something to be concerned about. The "crystal deodorants" they sell in stores are usually alum, just another form of aluminum, which may or may not be less risky. We just don't know yet and until then I am not going to slather that junk on my armpits.

So what do I do to not smell bad? I have found two things that work really well. One is plain coconut oil. Just a light smear. It has antibacterial properties and so kills the odor causing bacteria. The second thing is the one I use all the time now. It sounds crazy and I have no idea how it works, but it does, and me and a bunch of other people will swear by it. It's "magnesium oil", which is just magnesium chloride flakes dissolved in water at 1:1 ratio. You can order the flakes online or you may be able to find them at an Asian market, they're called "nigari". Just rub some mag oil in and voila, I don't stink all day! You have to believe me. Regular antiperspirant/deodorants never worked for me either. I tried all kinds of different brands and had to keep choosing the extra strength versions. Still stank at the end of the day. These two natural things I listed just WORK. It's magical!